G5 Quick Change Axle

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure about this set up. Kinda leaning towards it’ll be one more failure point for something to come loose/strip out, or seize and be a one piece anyway. Time will tell though
I tend to agree. Kind of a solution for something that wasn't really a problem.
If you're changing out a track, opening the chain case isn't a deal breaker. The video hints that removing the rotor/caliper is now a bit more awkward, so who knows if it will be a time saver for the average joe. Who honestly changes their tracks frequently other than race teams?
I wonder if there was other motivation for the change such as parts standardization or assembly line optimizing.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Kind of a solution for something that wasn't really a problem.
If you're changing out a track, opening the chain case isn't a deal breaker. The video hints that removing the rotor/caliper is now a bit more awkward, so who knows if it will be a time saver for the average joe. Who honestly changes their tracks frequently other than race teams?
I wonder if there was other motivation for the change such as parts standardization or assembly line optimizing.

I’m sure dealers had some feedback. Probably only got paid 0.5hr for a warranty track change that takes an hour

Then again I’ve never heard of a warranty track change either so who knows lol

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're going to need to clarify. Is that because of the quick drive or the driveshaft that breaks in two all by itself?
No problem with either of our 13's, 14's, 15's, 16's, & 18's.
2 bolts and the ad pulleys are off (no messy oil) and a 4 or 5 small bolts on the other side ...
Might be a neat idea for the doolaid crew but it's an overengineered and overly complex solution to a minor inconvenience ...
You guys having to change out tracks that often? If so maybe brp should design a better track ....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is dumb... it probably has more to do with a manufacturing thing than anything. As the drive axle can now be utilited for all models vs a specific set of model.

why anything would think a splined sleeve over splines with a gear is a good idea is beyond me. Not like people will start changing tracks for snow conditions, LOL really!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is dumb... it probably has more to do with a manufacturing thing than anything. As the drive axle can now be utilited for all models vs a specific set of model.

why anything would think a splined sleeve over splines with a gear is a good idea is beyond me. Not like people will start changing tracks for snow conditions, LOL really!

im not following, that drive axle was always the same across the board for all models. So i dont think thats it.

i can put a 2010 summit drive axle in my turbo

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not following, that drive axle was always the same across the board for all models. So i dont think thats it.

i can put a 2010 summit drive axle in my turbo
Negative. The drivers are spaced differently between XM and g4.

I am thinking in regards to g5 and other skidoo models moving forward

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I like the manufacturing process as the main driver. It might be easier for them to have the chaincase assembled and with the turbo and everything under the hood now it was probably a pain for them to have the track and skid in and button the chain case up before everything else can be done.

As for the spline I hope they have it so that taper on the drive shaft and stub shaft mate tightly to aid in rigidity. If you have ever seen a flexible grid or gear coupling run with some misalignment they fret and wear quite badly and turn grease to dry metal powder fairly quickly. I'm not saying it isn't going to work but the potential is there for it not to.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Negative. The drivers are spaced differently between XM and g4.

I am thinking in regards to g5 and other skidoo models moving forward

Kinda. The drivers are spaced the same, it’s the length on the driveshaft is different on the one side. 2022 shaft is different yet.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the manufacturing process as the main driver. It might be easier for them to have the chaincase assembled and with the turbo and everything under the hood now it was probably a pain for them to have the track and skid in and button the chain case up before everything else can be done.

As for the spline I hope they have it so that taper on the drive shaft and stub shaft mate tightly to aid in rigidity. If you have ever seen a flexible grid or gear coupling run with some misalignment they fret and wear quite badly and turn grease to dry metal powder fairly quickly. I'm not saying it isn't going to work but the potential is there for it not to.
Bing Bing Bing .... likely the reason ...process management ....solve one problem but likely cause more

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bing Bing Bing .... likely the reason ...process management ....solve one problem but likely cause more

I dunno, that doesn’t explain the redesign of the rear skid mounting.
I’m leaning towards a race application thing for the RMHCA, but again I’m guessing along with everyone else.
Maybe norona could chime in on the reasoning?

@norona

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why fix a problem that wasn't a problem? Also looking at the diagram it does look like the lower gear will be free floating once the axle is pulled out so it might be a bitch to re-align it to re-insert the axle, as how can you hold it without having the cover off?

There must be more to this that they are not mentioning. No obvious reason to complicate the design.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at it again and think it makes more sense now. The lip of the coupler must sit outside the chaincase and and if the seal is not broken when removing the driveshaft, it's just like pulling a CV axle off a car trans-axle. This way the chaincase can be assembled and filled with oil prior to be installed on the sled. Makes sense for manufacturing but not a lot of gain for most owners.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at it again and think it makes more sense now. The lip of the coupler must sit outside the chaincase and and if the seal is not broken when removing the driveshaft, it's just like pulling a CV axle off a car trans-axle. This way the chaincase can be assembled and filled with oil prior to be installed on the sled. Makes sense for manufacturing but not a lot of gain for most owners.

clearly you've never changed a skidoo track (PITA) because for me this is an absolute game changer and im excited about it lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my suspicion here (without having physically touched one and only looking at limited pics) - I'll be reserving official judgement until I see the clearances in person though.

1) the newer body style is 3" thinner at the running boards
2) this means there is less side clearance from the driver to the tunnel
3) the rotor assembly was made lighter, but is now harder to remove (guessing some kind of special press fit that can't be done easily). I thought it was pretty light before though, splined shaft and a circlip?

So.....With the rotor being harder to remove, a full solid shaft wouldn't have enough clearance on the brake side (the driver may hit the inside of the tunnel before the chaincase side of the shaft is out). By using an intermediate coupler, the shaft can come out of the coupler enough before the driver hits the tunnel on the brake side. Basically its a telescoping shaft now (or a 2 piece shaft if you prefer). Could also be that the driveshaft may be too long into the chaincase side to remove without unbolting the rotor or the chaincase itself (or both). If the upper chaincase bolts are obscured by the turbo, then removing the turbo gets messy and costly (especially in warranty claims as someone mentioned). So they used the coupler because that's the easiest way to get the driveshaft out without disassambling most of the middle section of the sled.

May not be the entire reasoning - but it seems like a very plausible reason from an engineering standpoint, double splines are significantly more costly, create a weak point, and run the risk of additional leak points in a system (everytime that o-ring goes in an out its at risk of damage on the splines). OEMs are trying to put production costs down, and this is more.

Top Bottom