G5 - What’s the difference from a G4

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A tank ????? I thought the G4 was the best thing out there and now it feels like a Tank after riding the G5 ?? Help me out here fellas.

Skidoo riders are just accustomed to so much innovation every year that every previous model is just pure garbage.

EG.

Friend: Hey man want to go riding today? i know you dont have your Gen5 yet but you can borrow my Gen4 turbo
Me: id sooner quit sledding than ride a Gen4

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Skidoo riders are just accustomed to so much innovation every year that every previous model is just pure garbage.

EG.

Friend: Hey man want to go riding today? i know you dont have your Gen5 yet but you can borrow my Gen4 turbo
EG.
Doo Rider: My G4 is the best sled ever created. Anybody else is wrong and I will sing it from the mountain top.
Normal person:What doolaide filled bong have you been taking rips off bud?
Doo Rider: the new G5 is so much better. The G4, XM and XP were all junk and we can now admit not as good as sleds offered by other manufacturers of the time. But the G5, it's the best no question bla bla bla bla.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

EG.

My G4 Turbo has warranty until 2026. Not sure I want to even ride a G5 until at least next winter so I won't be tempted to make a move that will cost me a bunch of $$$$$$$ :doh:

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Post was started by the biggest Polaris Die Hard Guy there is, stirring the pot. Wondering why he was in the Doo dealership in the first place? Oh wait, he doesn't have a sled to ride. Still waiting on his Boost, so he has time to look around. Come to the dark side Kenny...

While the differences may be rather subtle, the G5 has slight improvements over the G4, that give it a noticeable advantage. I'm sure the different rear suspension geometry and track, is the key factor to the chassis hopping up on the snow better. The extra power is certainly nice. The throttle response is incredible for a boosted machine. The intake seems to work better and doesn't ice up as frequently. The large gauge is a waste of time IMHO, Polaris has it beat in that department for sure. Whats the point of having a larger readout on a mountain machine, unless you are using a GPS or tracking your buddy? Who actually looks down at the gauge when you are just riding around? I think they didn't really need to change as much, because the G4 simply worked well. Just refinements. I just don't understand why they went to a standard chain instead of HYVO? That, and the in sled storage is a step backwards. They will have there issues, but when you sell that many machines, your bound to have a few lemons for sure.
Ninja Turtles, kicking more butt than ever!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Post was started by the biggest Polaris Die Hard Guy there is, stirring the pot. Wondering why he was in the Doo dealership in the first place? Oh wait, he doesn't have a sled to ride. Still waiting on his Boost, so he has time to look around. Come to the dark side Kenny...

I knew you’d bite eventually. I was actually with Ken and he was picking up parts for the Rev. No pot stirring, just an awful lot about how the G5 was new from the ground up. Obviously there’s lots of changes but when you stand in between a 4 and 5, you see a lot of similarities. I wasn’t bashing the sleds, just poking fun at the “all new from the ground up” fan boys. All in fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

While the differences may be rather subtle, the G5 has slight improvements over the G4, that give it a noticeable advantage. I'm sure the different rear suspension geometry and track, is the key factor to the chassis hopping up on the snow better. The extra power is certainly nice. The throttle response is incredible for a boosted machine. The intake seems to work better and doesn't ice up as frequently. The large gauge is a waste of time IMHO, Polaris has it beat in that department for sure. Whats the point of having a larger readout on a mountain machine, unless you are using a GPS or tracking your buddy? Who actually looks down at the gauge when you are just riding around? I think they didn't really need to change as much, because the G4 simply worked well. Just refinements. I just don't understand why they went to a standard chain instead of HYVO? That, and the in sled storage is a step backwards. They will have there issues, but when you sell that many machines, your bound to have a few lemons for sure.

The navigation works very well on the big gauge.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a big plus…

Yep, so far it has exceeded my expectations.
I’m not that familiar with Boulder and Frisby. The socked in weather we are having, the navigation is definitely helpful to get around, which gives us a opportunity to test it out really well.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not that familiar with Boulder and Frisby. The socked in weather we are having, the navigation is definitely helpful to get around, which gives us a opportunity to test it out really well.

I agree I think of the days we used to ride newer areas weather get socked in and then what… relied on having someone who “knew” the area but was a challenge sometimes even getting off boulder for that matter,

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So sled gauge has base terrain mapping that operates from cell phone ? Or is it stand alone unit that doesn’t require your phone ?
Is the mapping upgradable ?
Is it specific to BRP ?
Hopefully it’s just something that is Garmin based as so many good products through them .

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So sled gauge has base terrain mapping that operates from cell phone ? Or is it stand alone unit that doesn’t require your phone ?
Is the mapping upgradable ?
Is it specific to BRP ?
Hopefully it’s just something that is Garmin based as so many good products through them .

Its all phone based right now.
You download the area you are riding in, on the app on your phone, when the phone looses service the map is still there, and it uses the GPS on your phone to show and track your location.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all phone based right now.
You download the area you are riding in, on the app on your phone, when the phone looses service the map is still there, and it uses the GPS on your phone to show and track your location.
Okay , that’s what I understood. App is BRP go ?
So many good mapping apps and to bad gauge wouldn’t just work off any app you so decided ..
Garmin BIRDS EYE is great but naturally manufacturers make something on their own that takes time to perfect .

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay , that’s what I understood. App is BRP go ?
So many good mapping apps and to bad gauge wouldn’t just work off any app you so decided ..
Garmin BIRDS EYE is great but naturally manufacturers make something on their own that takes time to perfect .

We were discussing that this morning at breakfast, that would work if BRP allowed the app to be installed in the gauge.
There are much better apps out there that for sure, but the go app is better than what I ever had, just getting used to how it works.

Top Bottom