Furnace filters

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Anyone use a re usable furnace filter ? Just had the furnace cleaned and I bought one of those re usable filters. Kinda like a K&N I guess. The guy says the 3M filters are great but once a month is all they're really good for. And at $20 something a piece I figured the re usable one would pay off over time
$160 for a reusable one

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I buy the cheapest filters I can find at Home Depot and change them often. I think a 5 pack is around 3 bucks? I have never considered a reusable one....

MissAtlantic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. The air quality in you house must be garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why would you say that :confused: I change the filter every 2 weeks or so??? The filter doesn't even look used......

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What size do they come in. Ours in only 1 inch thick.

Do they make reusable that thin?

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used one of the washable ones in my duplex it seemed to work pretty well but pain in the ass cause you wash it and have to leave it till its dry ... I had cheap filters I thru in while I washed it but in the end it was more of a pain in ass

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Those cheap filters don't stop much of the crap from going in the house. I have intake filters outside the house as well I just can't get over how much dust is in them

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We have two re-useable ones. Just blow them out outside the shop and then into the big sink to get rid of the greasy stuff. They were nowhere near $160 (I'm thinking maybe $20?)

Our furnace fan only runs for 4 months a year and we change them mid way through the winter (when I clean the chimney). Sometimes we don't clean the removed one right away, hence the need for two. I don't like putting a wet filter into the furnace either so I let the cleaned one dry for a day.

$160 seems a little steep IMM

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will look into this. With air conditioning it will run all summer.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use cleanable ones I have 2, clean one and install the spare change every month or 2. They work well I got mine at Home depot green color, water rinse with shower head in tub to clean them. They filter way better than the cheapies. Not quite as good as a premium 3m though I would say.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have to go to HD tomorrow, I will take a look at the reuseable ones

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Keep in mind I bought mine right from the furnace cleaner guy so I did pay more , but that's ok to.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the re usable ones as well, I did buy 4 of the 3m one's when they were on sale. Its kinda hard to tell whats better. I needed something while the others dry overnight.

But cleaning them is a bit of a pain for sure but with 2 furnaces and AC It would add up using the 3m all the time.

Do you guys use soap or just hot water? thanks for the reminder Im going to clean them this weekend

How often do you guys wait for a full clean and service? I think I'm due.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have the re usable ones as well, I did buy 4 of the 3m one's when they were on sale. Its kinda hard to tell whats better. I needed something while the others dry overnight.

But cleaning them is a bit of a pain for sure but with 2 furnaces and AC It would add up using the 3m all the time.

Do you guys use soap or just hot water? thanks for the reminder Im going to clean them this weekend

How often do you guys wait for a full clean and service?

recommend every two years for furnace clean

And soap and water to wash the furnace filter

And he said change a 3m filter once a month. Seems a lot to me but ..

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 2 furnace with reusable filters
Recommended to spray reusable filters with a cleaner
I use DAX Cleaner from SEARS about $15.00 for a spray bottle - spray let stand for 15 min rinse with hot water shower head - bottle lasts 9 months to a year
Really helps loosen dirt from reusable filters and also the electronic air filter plates
Do my filters every 6 months - so not sure why yours needs it every month

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Compare the MERV rating of the filters. Disposable or not, the higher the number the better it filters. If it's not rated then it's likely junk. If you have air-conditioning then you better have a good filter or your evaporator is now plugged.

Top Bottom