Fuel settings???????????????????????

Bails

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Assault, and I will be riding this weekend, which will have me fueling up in a spot where there is no premium fuel (no ethanol). I plan on bringing some octane boost additives to add, but I'm wondering if I will have to change my fuel setting on the machine, been as I will only be running on regular (contains ethanol). Is the option of changing the fuel settings for changing between octane levels, or is it for changing between ethanol and non-ethanol?

And if I don't change, what will the effects be?? Its currently set for 91 and above.

sorry for the dumb question, but I'm new too Polaris as I crossed over from Cat..... I love my decision. (so far)

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairly simple, if you are running ethanol fuel put your sled on the ethanol setting. You will notice minimal loss or no change at all. Octane boost will do nothing to change the fact you are using ethanol fuel

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful with what premium you use. Lots of pumps out there have 91 octane that contain ethanol. Petro Canada is one of these, and any of the pumps running 94 octane definitely have ethanol in them. Shell is the only station I trust for their premium. I've switched my settings back to the ethanol setting, because I've gotten detonation sensor running premium. Could have been a bad batch of fuel, but when you sled bogs as you are trying to pull if over in the trees, it sucks.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Assault, and I will be riding this weekend, which will have me fueling up in a spot where there is no premium fuel (no ethanol). I plan on bringing some octane boost additives to add, but I'm wondering if I will have to change my fuel setting on the machine, been as I will only be running on regular (contains ethanol). Is the option of changing the fuel settings for changing between octane levels, or is it for changing between ethanol and non-ethanol?

And if I don't change, what will the effects be?? Its currently set for 91 and above.

sorry for the dumb question, but I'm new too Polaris as I crossed over from Cat..... I love my decision. (so far)

Unless ur running good 91prem (shell gold is best) leave it on ethanol setting to be safe

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairly simple, if you are running ethanol fuel put your sled on the ethanol setting. You will notice minimal loss or no change at all. Octane boost will do nothing to change the fact you are using ethanol fuel

but octane boost will help keep that pump regular from knocking your engine to death. if you cant even get ethanol premium, and MUST run on regular, then you should run on ethanol setting AND run octane booster.

the ethanol plug only deals with ethanol/no ethanol. i dont notice much difference when running with the ethanol setting. although it seems last time I was out, i had a bit lower RPM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom