free case of beer!!!!!!!!!!!

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah, come on guys... It's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays... Now, you prepare that Fetzer valve with some, uh, 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need about 10 quarts of antifreeze... preferably Prestone... No... No, make that Quaker State... And wash those windows. They got filth and muck on them.

sorry had to throw some humor in here

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have probably already tried this, but at this point I would disconnect the pitman arm from the master steering box and any connections to the aux steering box, try turning the steering wheel. If everything is good, then reconnect the pitman arm but leave any connections to the 2nd steering axle disconnected.

process of elimination, see if everything works on the 1st steering axle, then add in the 2nd, the point of which you have a failure should tell you where the problem is.

good point but the press stays the same. flow is what actually makes the boxes work. if the pump was to small it would just be slow to turn and if i reved up would help it a bit. this thing is a real pain in the azz. myself,employees, hydra steers techs and the other shop it wa sat, and my shop foreman in our quebec branch are all stumped.
I really appreciate all the ideas though. we all know once i find the problem it's going to be a why didn't i check that first thing.:confused:

It just seems to me that when you lift one wheel off the ground, doesnt matter which one I think you said, every thing works fine, but when all 4 are on the ground the pressure relief pops off. That would tell me that its simply either taking to much pressure to turn all 4 wheels, or there is a fault in the pressure relief value. It seems you have taken all steps to make sure everything is moving properly, that is why I focused on the valve itself. Is there any way to put a pressure tester in place of the relief value to see what pressure its getting to?

One other thing I would check is if all parts match up, ie are the pittman arms the same length, is the alignment proper for both axles.

One more thing, any chance the pittman arm is off one notch on one of the axles? That could cause a binding when turning one direction.

Has this problem just started or has the truck always had a problems since it was new?

05 hondaman

Reaction score
have you checked the hoses, if there is one that has some crap in it, it might act like a check valve.(just a shot in the dark)

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup. and only seems to do it while turning left. arrgh. anyone got some dynamite.

there is your problem quit turning left, problem solved
put big right turn only sign in front of drivers window

send big box of canadian to me.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is your problem quit turning left, problem solved
put big right turn only sign in front of drivers window

send big box of canadian to me.

Exactly, 3 right turns equal a left. No need to turn both ways :d

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GOING TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THE PARTS REPLACED AND SEE IF THE PARTSMAN GAVE THE WRONG PART!!!:rolleyes: ya I know never happens!:rolleyes: When did this all start and what parts where changed to fix it. Good Luck and keep the beer....you're going to need it before this is done!!:d

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as the title says i have a free case of beer, you slect brand and size if case, if you can figure out this one for me.
i have a customers unit in shop. unit is a tri drive mixer with tandem steer. it is hard to steer when loaded. we have replaced both the slave steering box and the pump as well as had the master box inspected. all components are as new. unit steers a bit then hits the pressure relief in the pump. we have inspected all steering linkage and all is good. if we jack up 1 wheel,any wheel, on the front it steers from stop to stop with ease. removed and checked all kingpins and bearings and all is in as new condition. unit only has 50000km on it. problem just became evident lately. customer has 8 more identical units with no issues. i am out of ideas anybody have one. winner will be notified by pm. thanks.:confused::rant:

What pressure is the relief valve supposed to open at? What pressure is the relief valve opening at? Is the pressure relief valve in the pump or the steering box? If it is in the pump did the new pump come with a new relief valve or did you swap it out from the old pump? Did you inspect the relief valve components? Broken spring, cracked poppet or seat? Is there a filter in the system? Is it plugged?

I always hated working on trucks. Forklifts and Skidsteers are much nicer. However it's all the same stuff. It all works the same. It just looks different:d

Last edited:

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd undo linkage one at a time to see if can steer at a stand still,doing the process of elimanation,if all seems ok i'd remove the main steering box and possible the steering assist boxes and send them to hydra steer to be checked.also when the steering box was replaced were the poppets set properly,if not check them.lots of people don't know how to set them and this could be your problem.hydra steer can bench test the boxes for proper operation.my first guess is the poppets aren't set in the steering box properly

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It just seems to me that when you lift one wheel off the ground, doesnt matter which one I think you said, every thing works fine, but when all 4 are on the ground the pressure relief pops off. That would tell me that its simply either taking to much pressure to turn all 4 wheels, or there is a fault in the pressure relief value. It seems you have taken all steps to make sure everything is moving properly, that is why I focused on the valve itself. Is there any way to put a pressure tester in place of the relief value to see what pressure its getting to?

One other thing I would check is if all parts match up, ie are the pittman arms the same length, is the alignment proper for both axles.

One more thing, any chance the pittman arm is off one notch on one of the axles? That could cause a binding when turning one direction.

Has this problem just started or has the truck always had a problems since it was new?

problem just started recently. i am going to get the guys to check again on the timing of the boxes thing.

all hoses have been replaced already except for the steel ones that go across to the rigth side.

the wrong parts thing was one of my first ideads to but we double and triple checked them and checked for proper functionality.

this one is a real brain buster.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it duel boxes with helper rams ? Check the helper rams

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it duel boxes with helper rams ? Check the helper rams

no three boxes. we are putting everything back to the way it was before we changed anything and starting over now.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may just end up changing axles and everything one at a time and see if anything changes.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this truck is a tandem steer bed truck right?if so it has a steering box and 3 assist boxes,have they been checked yet,i know you said the box is new but was it set after being installed on the truck,to properly adjust wheels have to be in the air to set the poppets for the steering releif,if this was not done you could be loosing pressure for the steering.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a tandem mixer with 2 slave boxes and a master. all press reliefs have been set properly. wheels turn easy with no weight on them. and everything checks out to be good.
we are changing axles out of it right now as i type and starting as if we just built the unit to see what happens. have nothing left to check. really a brain buster. thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
it is a tandem mixer with 2 slave boxes and a master. all press reliefs have been set properly. wheels turn easy with no weight on them. and everything checks out to be good.
we are changing axles out of it right now as i type and starting as if we just built the unit to see what happens. have nothing left to check. really a brain buster. thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

seeing as you have an extra case of beer now..... pick me...pick me....

Top Bottom