Ford Atlas concept, your thoughts?

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the illegitamite offspring of a raptor and Superduty...I heard 2013 was the last run of the raptor...could just be rumor..

first I've heard, you like your raptor? And this is atlas, in superduty form would be unreal

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like this truck, only things I don't like is how much it looks like a Toyota tundra.
Huh? Much more aggressive stance, very similar headlights to the current F-150, same tail lights as the Raptor. Only thing that I find similar is the rounded top of the grille. I think this looks unmistakably Ford. I think the Tundra is due for an upgrade, that thing has been around since what, 2006? I thought that GM would have done more with the Silverado and Sierra for this model year as well. I'm not a fan of that current look.
ford-atlas-concept.jpg tundra_gallery_image_08.jpg

I would believe that this could be the last year for the run of the Raptor. SVT only does small runs of each of their vehicles, such as the Lightning before it. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop making the Shelby GT500 for a while as well. It will be powered by a next-generation Ecoboost engine, no info on it yet, but I'm sure it will be a V6, with an auto stop which will shut off the engine for periods where you are stopped at lights (unless it is in tow mode). With what Ford did with that new 5.0L in the Mustang, I'm sure this engine will not disappoint in the power category and be good on fuel. I like the idea of the automatic aerodynamic changes that happen to it at highway speeds, giving extra fuel savings (though I'm sure those options won't be cheap, but will likely save you in the long run in fuel). The hidden cargo ramps are brilliant, but they look to just be for wheeled vehicles, so they won't help us sled guys that don't use a sled deck or trailer.

Attachments

• 2013-ford-f-150-lariat-front-side-view1.jpg
    2013-ford-f-150-lariat-front-side-view1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can guarantee you one thing, it won't have a levelling kit like the one in the picture...You lose a couple of L/100K with it like that..

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like this truck, only things I don't like is how much it looks like a Toyota tundra.

that's what one of my buddy suggested. I looks a bit from the front, not at all from the back. It does not make sense at all why they would stop with the raptor IMO

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I tried to edit my post and add a current F-150 shot in, but didn't like how big the pic was. Removed it and posted, but now it's still there. Oh well.
Reason they would stop Raptor production. It's made by Ford's SVT unit, Special Vehicle Team. If they kept making the Raptor indefinitely, it wouldn't be very Special. They only do limited runs of their vehicles and the Raptor is running its course. Look at their other vehicles, F-150 Lightning, SVT Focus, SVT Cobra, SVT Contur, Ford GT, GT-500. Of those the longest running was the Cobra in the 90s. They will do another SVT truck, but there will be a break.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The make so much money though haha,
Now...but with the SVT unit, I believe it's better for them to quit while ahead than keep making them year after year. One year Raptor sales will drop off drastically, and they will be left having made all of these trucks with no one buying them. Stop making the truck for another model year, get the hype back up then come back with a new one.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I tried to edit my post and add a current F-150 shot in, but didn't like how big the pic was. Removed it and posted, but now it's still there. Oh well.
Reason they would stop Raptor production. It's made by Ford's SVT unit, Special Vehicle Team. If they kept making the Raptor indefinitely, it wouldn't be very Special. They only do limited runs of their vehicles and the Raptor is running its course. Look at their other vehicles, F-150 Lightning, SVT Focus, SVT Cobra, SVT Contur, Ford GT, GT-500. Of those the longest running was the Cobra in the 90s. They will do another SVT truck, but there will be a break.

The raptor is a legitimate year round truck though. The lightning was more of a toy.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now...but with the SVT unit, I believe it's better for them to quit while ahead than keep making them year after year. One year Raptor sales will drop off drastically, and they will be left having made all of these trucks with no one buying them. Stop making the truck for another model year, get the hype back up then come back with a new one.

oh, that's smart for sales I guess. It will be harder to get parts for it?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the overall look. Wonder about the comfort level of the seats. Parts of the dash look a lot like an 8 track player. I'm old.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh, that's smart for sales I guess. It will be harder to get parts for it?
for the most part, I would imagine that the Raptor is made out of parts found in other current Ford Trucks. They have been over built in areas, and completely different parts all together in certain areas as well. I don't think finding a Fox Shock would be very difficult for it. I think any Raptor owner would be fine for quite a while if Ford does stop making the Raptor next year.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the most part, I would imagine that the Raptor is made out of parts found in other current Ford Trucks. They have been over built in areas, and completely different parts all together in certain areas as well. I don't think finding a Fox Shock would be very difficult for it. I think any Raptor owner would be fine for quite a while if Ford does stop making the Raptor next year.

Alright, I think they could have grown on the raptor, but not complaining with Atlas concept

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love what Ford is doing these days. Ever since the economy crash and they managed to stay away from government handouts their vehicles have been stellar. Putting a lot of innovation in to them and they look great. At least in my opinion. I think the Raptor is a killer truck and would love to see it continue on for a few more years but the Atlas certainly has me excited for what they are going to do next.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rapter wasn't a real big seller. Can't keep a corporation afloat with a truck that is priced like that and like said before SVT People get bored and want a new rig.

Alright, I think they could have grown on the raptor, but not complaining with Atlas concept

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Asia is definitely playing catch up to N America in the truck game. Although I am more of a Chev guy, ford is the most forward thinking and innovative of the bunch. Pretty well forced GM to update their trucks his year. The Eco-boosted halftons are a a blast to drive.

I kinda dig this Atlas concept.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Asia is definitely playing catch up to N America in the truck game. Although I am more of a Chev guy, ford is the most forward thinking and innovative of the bunch. Pretty well forced GM to update their trucks his year. The Eco-boosted halftons are a a blast to drive.

I kinda dig this Atlas concept.
I somewhat agree with this. Toyota has possibly the best truck in the world, in the Hilux, but they don't bring it to North America. It's basically the Tacoma here, but more capable and not quite as big. The Tundra needs an update to see what Toyota will do with the half ton market. Nissan, well it's Nissan and I wouldn't touch them, they just have such a terrible resale value. For some reason they think the horn honking when the correct tire pressure has been reached in innovation. It's just way to difficult to look at the gauge on the hose in your hands I guess...
I was a GM guy until the crash in 2008 and they took a massive handout. I honestly think Ford has turned around as a company because they didn't take a handout.

Top Bottom