For the BC Guys

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got my new sled yesterday, and after what happened with my old sled, I am guarding with everything I can lol.... So today I am registering and insuring it today. The question is the damn ugly yellow registration stickers, where is everyone putting them? I got the black tunnel and would hate to put them there I dont want them on the plastic either... Am I SOL and need to put them on the tunnel?? Also I joined the BCSF am I supposed to put that sticker on my sled as well?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The BCSF sticker I put on the inside of the left hand panel. Mind you, I have all the foam out and did it in a warm shop so there was no left over glue. Cleaned the panel with alcohol and a great place IMHO.

The yellow registration sticker, I can't help you there as I don't register my sleds. Technically, they are supposed to show but with no enforcement in the foreseeable future maybe on the inside of the side panel also?

:xmas2004_15:

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cograts on your new sled,I never put mine on,its in my pack,never ever been ask to put it on or even see it so I wouldnt worry about stickin it on.Looks like rain here for 4 or 5 days in a row so we hopefully get some more snow,it started out as a promising year but not much moisture in december so its very thin up there but that should change with all the rain we are suposed to get.Hoping to get up between Xmas and new years,Ill keep in touch. Jim

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know in Alberta they actually give you a plate which is supposed to be riveted to the tunnel. I never did that I put it in my riser bag and if asked I could always say I did get around to putting on but could atleast produce it

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cograts on your new sled,I never put mine on,its in my pack,never ever been ask to put it on or even see it so I wouldnt worry about stickin it on.Looks like rain here for 4 or 5 days in a row so we hopefully get some more snow,it started out as a promising year but not much moisture in december so its very thin up there but that should change with all the rain we are suposed to get.Hoping to get up between Xmas and new years,Ill keep in touch. Jim[/QUOTEtHANKS jIM,

Thanks Jim sent ya a pm with my number... Could even look at a day trip to mainland if we have to lol

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put mine in a zip loc in my backpack n if i get pulled over i just pull it out...

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id put it on the tunnel.....the whole point is so the cops can run a quick check to see if it is stolen i belive.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know in Alberta they actually give you a plate which is supposed to be riveted to the tunnel. I never did that I put it in my riser bag and if asked I could always say I did get around to putting on but could atleast produce it

Actually wrong, the legislation says you must install it on the front or rear of the vehicle. I used to bolt it to the snow flap but lost 2 plates over the years so I just carry it under the seat and if asked tell the officer my experience. Always been okay with that since they didn't even know that the side of the tunnel was technically unaccebtable and they usually suggest that location too. I have also cracked a tunnel from a drill hole so I won't do that again.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from insuring it, they told me that in BC you do not need to register the sled or insure but then you are liable for all issues, which I know all to well about the last sled. So it is now fully insured, and suppose I can just carry a copy of my bill of sale showing I am the rightful owner. All that really matters to me is that it is fully insured for anything that could possibly happen to it

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from insuring it, they told me that in BC you do not need to register the sled or insure but then you are liable for all issues, which I know all to well about the last sled. So it is now fully insured, and suppose I can just carry a copy of my bill of sale showing I am the rightful owner. All that really matters to me is that it is fully insured for anything that could possibly happen to it

Ya.....that's wrong. Snowmobile registration has been required in BC since the late 1960's. Waste of time going to an ICBC agent though. They have no clue. Gotta go to a BC Government access center. Only costs $10 bucks and you only have to do it once per owner. That's about to change though. :( If I were you I'd do it now. The cost under the soon-to-come new regulation will be substantially higher, and I hear they're actually going to try to enforce it. They were right about insurance though. No requirement for liability insurance in BC.....yet.

Registration
(1) Except as otherwise provided in the Act or this regulation, every owner of a snowmobile other than a rental snowmobile not licensed under section 3 of the Motor Vehicle Act shall, before the snowmobile is used or operated, register it with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia and obtain an owner's certificate.
(2) Every application for registration and an owner's certificate under subsection (1) must be in a form satisfactory to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, must be delivered to the corporation, a government agent or any person authorized under section 3 (5) or (6) of the Motor Vehicle Act for that purpose, and must be accompanied by a fee prescribed in Schedule 1, together with the amount of tax owing in respect of the snowmobile under the Social Service Tax Act, the Consumption Tax Rebate and Transition Act or section 212.1 or 218.1 or Division IV.1 of Part IX of the Excise Tax Act (Canada).
(3) Upon the receipt of the application and upon being satisfied of the truth of the facts stated in it and that the prescribed fees have been paid, the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia shall register the name and address of the owner, and a description of the snowmobile, in a file or index to be kept for that purpose, and shall issue to the owner
(a) a numbered owner's certificate, in a form satisfactory to the corporation, showing the registration of the snowmobile and authorizing its use and operation in accordance with the Act, and
(b) 2 numbered owner's decals, each corresponding with the number of the owner's certificate.
(4) Every owner's decal shall be of such material and design as the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia may determine, and shall remain the property of the Crown.
[am. B.C. Regs. 403/95, s. 1; 415/97, ss. 1, 2; 216/2010, Sch. s. 8.]

Owner's decal
Every snowmobile registered pursuant to section 7 shall have affixed to each side of its cowl, or to another conspicuous place on each side of it, an owner's decal.

Snowmobiles
(1) Despite the requirements of sections 2 (c) and 12, a person is not required to hold a subsisting driver's licence issued under the Motor Vehicle Act or a valid and subsisting contract of third party liability insurance while operating a snowmobile on a forest service road in compliance with subsection (3).

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just renewed my summit insurance. 585 for full replacement with a value of 18000. Didn't do liability since I'm covered trough my Revy pass and by being a member lowered premium 225 bucks and because it's a doo lowered it more because of demobilizer installed. Last yr I paid 700 not sure what's changed other then being a yr older

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just renewed my summit insurance. 585 for full replacement with a value of 18000. Didn't do liability since I'm covered trough my Revy pass and by being a member lowered premium 225 bucks and because it's a doo lowered it more because of demobilizer installed. Last yr I paid 700 not sure what's changed other then being a yr older

I just got a quote for mine at $595.00 at Valley First insurance. I haven't decided if I am going the insure yet. They want $405 just for fire and theft! They are checking with another provided to see if they can get it cheaper.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a quote for mine at $595.00 at Valley First insurance. I haven't decided if I am going the insure yet. They want $405 just for fire and theft! They are checking with another provided to see if they can get it cheaper.
I use Capri for all my offload stuff. My sled is newer and it's full replacement with trail star plus or whatever. Give them a ring

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went through Oasis 592 all perils so that was good with full replacement on it

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
592.00 was the rate for all perils, and 16k replacement on a 2012 Summit X ETEC at Vancouver Island Insurance Center. I am also going to be heading to Nanaimo to register it, no reason why not except I wont be putting the stickers on the sled they can reside on my backpack or under the seat

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I live in BC but bought my sled in Alberta to avoid paying the extra 7% so I fully intend to avoid the registration process as long as possible...I'll be damned if the BC government is gonna get any more tax money out of me.

Top Bottom