Flat light

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What colors are you all using in your goggles when riding in flat light? I've tried clear, polarized brown, light blue, gold/chrome, and yellow but none of them are worth a crap in flat light.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought my clear lens was the best this past weekend. Not enough light to get past the tinted lens. I still ended up going over the bars once.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oakley Persimmon lenses- they are a grapefruit pinky-orange and work awesome. Blue is bad; yellow is better and clear is second best in my experience.

Chest protector and knee pads are for when all else fails :)

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using a rose color on my 509's. Nothing works well in flat light, but my choice is rose (pinky grapefruit as stated by SledMamma), clear, and yellow (in order of preference).

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that rose color recommendation before, I think I will order a pair from 509 and see how they work.

I rode last week and the flat light was horrendous, I ended up riding with no goggles in a light snow, I made it out alive without any damge to myself or my sled but that did suck.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rose or yellow for myself,,,best bet is to just head straight to the trees if its foggy,its never foggy in the trees..not sure what kind of tree riding there is in alaska though...

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rose work pretty good. The last trip I had the chance to try out my 509 Black Ops.......best goggles I've used so far in flat light.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
red/rose i like the best, followed by perssimon(orange), then yellow or blue

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to use orange but switched to a polarized vermillion and it works pretty well.

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have red ones and I think their the best(in my opinion) even good at night with a helmet light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oakley Persimmon lenses- they are a grapefruit pinky-orange and work awesome. Blue is bad; yellow is better and clear is second best in my experience.

Chest protector and knee pads are for when all else fails :)

X 2 on the Oakley Persimmon lenses, I have them in my cheap L-frames and they work best. I have all kinds of expensive spy's with blue, yellow, brown and I keep going back to the Oakleys. Second option is just wearing my clear saftey glasses.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a buddy I ride with that has the Oakleys and he's always raving how great they are in all manners of light. I might have to give them a shot along with ordering some pink/ornage/persimmon colored lens' for my other goggles. Thanks for all the recommnedations people, I appreciate it!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
HaberVision recommends their vermillion lens for high contrast on low light days. They also have an optical orange lens that they recommend for both low light and bright light days. The nice thing about a vermillion lens is that it will not stain the rhodopsin which is a pigment in the back of your eye thereby preserving your night vision if your day gets a bit longer than you anticipated.

Lens color really comes down to personal preference because our eyes are all different. For example a flash on a vermillion lens will also tend to darken the lens some people notice it and some people don't so when they choose a vermillion they will choose one with no flash. I ride with my optical orange lens in all light conditions. My Mom rides with her vermillion in all light conditions.

Polarization in flat light will not do you a bit of good. The reason being is that the function of polarization is to reduce glare and let's face it the problem in flat light is not glare! If someone tells you that a polarized lens in flat light makes a world of difference they are pulling your leg.

Some days it doesn't matter what you try you just aren't meant to see on those days it is best to go back to the trailer pack up your gear head to the local watering hole and swap fish tales!

Jan

Top Bottom