Fire advisory?

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're supposed to head out west this weekend. I just checked the Fire ban site, and last night they just threw a "Fire Advisory" on for Rocky/Caroline west areas. https://albertafirebans.ca/

What does "Fire Advisory" mean? Can't find out what it means exactly. I found this page on Bans, and Restrictions, but nothing on advisory's.
Also, under restrictions it says fires are allowed in designated fire pits. Does our rock circles out west random camping count as a "designated fire pit"?
http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/advisories-public-safety/fire-bans-restrictions/

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
advisory means only campfires inside a containment ring are allowed. campground pits and free site fires inside a stone fire ring are ok. all fire permits for brush piles etc are banned. you will be all right for a campfire with a rock ring, just keep it under control and not to large. best to have a 5 gallon pail of water close by just in case.
you can also get a fairly nice pay as you go paper if you leave fire unattended at any time, day or night.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know what a "fire Advisory" is?

But, we were camping in Crows Nest Pass and I asked the fish cops what a "restriction" was?
He said...... Any fires in fire pits in a campground, being private or provincial. Is allowed.
The restriction is on random or bush camping. Even if you brought a store bought metal or rock fire ring, you would not be allowed to use it.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is all I've been able to find on Fire Advisory so far.
"The advisory means all existing fire permits have been cancelled and no new permits will be issued until further notice."
This was on a Gov site about Calgary. It doesn't even address fire pits, just permits for clearing brush and fields etc. Sound like were ok so far for fires out west but they still have a couple of days to throw on a "restriction". Fingers crossed I guess.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is all I've been able to find on Fire Advisory so far.
"The advisory means all existing fire permits have been cancelled and no new permits will be issued until further notice."
This was on a Gov site about Calgary. It doesn't even address fire pits, just permits for clearing brush and fields etc. Sound like were ok so far for fires out west but they still have a couple of days to throw on a "restriction". Fingers crossed I guess.

click on the circles of the county on the fire map they tell you more info on difference between ban restriction and advisory.

Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This looks like one of those occasions where caution and good sense rules the day. I suggest you choose your campfire area very carefully and make sure it is far from other sources of fuel meaning Bush, Brush, dry grass etc.

Keep your fire real small and have water nearby (I like the 5 gallon pail idea). Certainly put it out completely before leaving the camp or going to bed.

Fail to do any of that and you are inviting a discussion with a conservation officer and he/she may stop by even if you do the above. Don't give them any reason to decide to give you a ticket.

Remember if you fail at the above and there is a fire, you can be sent a bill for the fire suppression costs which make having a helicopter retrieve your sled look like a city bus ticket.

Seriously, if anything looks a little iffy, it might be wise to bring the propane fire pit as those don't produce sparks.

Have fun :)

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Click the area you want to look at on map and read the details.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom