Finally have enough money to seriously consider a new sled

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really can't believe I read all 11 pages. I really thought it would get better. Started out as a sled thread to a WTF? Anyways, hopefully the sled is good to you this season. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not. No one will know till next spring. Some have had bad luck and others have had good luck with the sled. One way to find out!! hopefully we have a good snow year. But not yet. I am still enjoying summer!!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 pages, 94 posts. I didn't mean to start a war. I just wanted to know which was better, an XRS or a Dragon. Most people said the XRS, but after some thought, my gut said to get the Dragon. So, I did. Now we just have pages of people being 8 year olds. Can a moderator please come and lock this thread?

No need, enjoy your new sled, hope it works well for you. It's a very fun chassis.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
... Hope the fugger stops with the dumbass chit.. Otherwise it's on charlie brown!!

%
that's all I have to say.

No need, enjoy your new sled, hope it works well for you. It's a very fun chassis.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 pages, 94 posts. I didn't mean to start a war. I just wanted to know which was better, an XRS or a Dragon. Most people said the XRS, but after some thought, my gut said to get the Dragon. So, I did. Now we just have pages of people being 8 year olds. Can a moderator please come and lock this thread?

i cant remember if you posted details about your dragon or not. and i dont feel like filtering through the b.s post.
does it have someones fix kit in it ?. what performance parts are on it?. i love my dragon and if it dosent sell i wont feel bad at all.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant remember if you posted details about your dragon or not. and i dont feel like filtering through the b.s post.
does it have someones fix kit in it ?. what performance parts are on it?. i love my dragon and if it dosent sell i wont feel bad at all.
That's the one main thing missing going from what summit said it has

Problem is the po po still skirt pistons

summit1000

Reaction score

It has a programmer, can, and reeds. I am not 100% sure on if it has a fix kit or not. It has 1500 miles on it, so it would seem surprising if it made 1500 miles without a fix kit, but you never know. The guy I bought it from is really mechanically inclined, so it isn't like it would've been hard for him to put the fix kit in (he replaced two blown turbos on a 6.4L Powerstroke so I'd imagine a fix kit would be an easy install for him lol). If it doesn't have a fix kit, I think I will buy one and ask him if he'd be able to install it for me......does your Turbo Dragon have the fix kit in it?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has a programmer, can, and reeds. I am not 100% sure on if it has a fix kit or not. It has 1500 miles on it, so it would seem surprising if it made 1500 miles without a fix kit, but you never know. The guy I bought it from is really mechanically inclined, so it isn't like it would've been hard for him to put the fix kit in (he replaced two blown turbos on a 6.4L Powerstroke so I'd imagine a fix kit would be an easy install for him lol). If it doesn't have a fix kit, I think I will buy one and ask him if he'd be able to install it for me......does your Turbo Dragon have the fix kit in it?

Lots of them make it longer than that then blow - 1500 though is a good mileage to measure the piston skirts and replace the slugs in those motors, if they haven't broke yet they will show enough wear to tell the story if they were getting close (typically before 2,000 miles). Cheap insurance IMO because if it fails (if....not saying it will for sure), but if it does then it will be catastrophic. Then while its apart, call Deano at Mad Motorsports and throw in a new set of his pistons with the lower wrist pin placement so you're not worried about the next set breaking either.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My motor dosent have the fix kit. I started having some weird issues with it I couldn't figure out. So I took it to dean at mad motorsports had it checked out. Turns out it was leaking air out of the crank seals.
So i replaced the crank seals and de glazed the cylinders and put new rings in. Now its for sale!!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of them make it longer than that then blow - 1500 though is a good mileage to measure the piston skirts and replace the slugs in those motors, if they haven't broke yet they will show enough wear to tell the story if they were getting close (typically before 2,000 miles). Cheap insurance IMO because if it fails (if....not saying it will for sure), but if it does then it will be catastrophic. Then while its apart, call Deano at Mad Motorsports and throw in a new set of his pistons with the lower wrist pin placement so you're not worried about the next set breaking either.

Good advice.
When I bought my low mile '04 Summit 800 I had been reading about flaking rings and whatnot causing problems so I figured I would pull it apart to check even though the compression was still good. Turned out I made the right choice as I found flaking rings which would have been a teardown eventually anyways. $550 for dual ring pistons and piece of mind made alot more sense that $2500 for a whole engine plus whatever it cost to get it off the mountain!!

summit1000

Reaction score
Well, I'd definitely like to put the fix kit in it. Those who have done it, is it a difficult install? Like something I can't do myself? My mechanical skills are okay, the portion that I suffer on is that I have a really limited set of tools. I guess alternatively I can just ask the guy I bought it from to help me with the install, but he lives in Fort McMurray, so it isn't exactly convenient. Well, and I guess first things first, I should check if it does have the fix kit in it already. I'm waiting to hear back from him. But, anyways, did you guys find the install difficult? Or is it pretty easy? This would be my first time opening up the engine of anything.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd definitely like to put the fix kit in it. Those who have done it, is it a difficult install? Like something I can't do myself? My mechanical skills are okay, the portion that I suffer on is that I have a really limited set of tools. I guess alternatively I can just ask the guy I bought it from to help me with the install, but he lives in Fort McMurray, so it isn't exactly convenient. Well, and I guess first things first, I should check if it does have the fix kit in it already. I'm waiting to hear back from him. But, anyways, did you guys find the install difficult? Or is it pretty easy? This would be my first time opening up the engine of anything.
Not to be a dyck as sone said I was, but this is what I was talking about

Do u have over 2 grand for a fix it kit??

Even then they still have skirt issues

This is y I said buy the doo.........

Stay away from the pooooooo

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put in 2 fix kits so far one was my fault and the other i just did it because of the motor. they do not cost 2 grand. i ordered the snowX fix kit for 400 plus shipping to my door. theres also one called the dragon saver...google it. takes about 6 beers and 4 hours and you get to have fun in your garage.

most fix kits come with a spacer the goes between the cylinders and case. look for it , it will be obvious.
i would be more than happy to help you put it in.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put in 2 fix kits so far one was my fault and the other i just did it because of the motor. they do not cost 2 grand. i ordered the snowX fix kit for 400 plus shipping to my door. theres also one called the dragon saver...google it. takes about 6 beers and 4 hours and you get to have fun in your garage.

most fix kits come with a spacer the goes between the cylinders and case. look for it , it will be obvious.
i would be more than happy to help you put it in.

Ahh, they facts from one that has actually done it.
Thankyou.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i have installed 4 kits for friends and family. it is very easy. Like it was said earlier, it takes about 4 hours to do. I have all the tools to do the job as well. Your more the welcome to bring your sled over to my place and we can get it done in an evening.

Doing it on a Saturday afternoon will be the best, as we will need to run into a sled shop to get the cylinders honed. You can buy the kits on EBAY for 500 shipped to your place. Just search dragon fix kit.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fix kit I've heard of is mono cylinders ect

2 grand? LOL you obviously don't know what you are talking about. You can buy a big bore kit for that much, and so you should because the re-man'd monoblock kits are only around the $1200-1400 price point (if you've already blown up and need the full top end). If you are only doing the update and cylinders are still good, you don't replace the cylinders for a piston related issue, you only replace the pistons. As stated, most fix kits are priced right around the $400-500 mark. The MTNTK kit is a little higher at about $585.

As Vince mentioned they pretty much all come with a cylinder shim because the wrist pin location is different the piston is higher in the cylinder so you have to raise the cylinder. Try to find a kit with an aluminum spacer even if the kit is a little more $$$, some are just zinc plated steel and will have different metal properties (dissimilar metal types in your motor), different rates of thermal expansion than aluminum cylinders, and could have corrosion issues down the road.

Top Bottom