Finally great looking Cats

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must say I am impressed with what I see from Cat this year. In my opinion they finally have a sweet looking chassis. Not sure what to think of the predominantly 4 stroke line. Static light weight is important to me. Going to the sneek peek to check them out Thursday to see if what I see in pictures is as good in real life. I have never been a fan of AC engineering (or lack of finese that I see). Hope what I read of others checking them out and being disappointed is not my case as I hope AC has come up with a top notch product.
Can anyone tell me why AC uses tall spindles? What is the engineering reason (benefit) to this. Unless they are making the A arms and spindles out of titanium the front suspension will actually be heavier than necessary (tall spindle have more mass). Or is this just for looks. If for looks it doesn't work for me as it ruins the sleek styling terribly for me.
Last year at the sneek peek I gave AC 2 minutes of my time as I hated what I saw. I look forward this year to spend some time checking em out. ;)

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least they got rid of the diamond drive and stuck some big ass chain case in there..

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes 4 lbs weight savings. and the chaincase is attached to the oil reservoir for two stroke oil and engine oil on the 4 strokes.... we have had lots of customers wanting to gear and now they can for a reasonable price...

Terry

saskcat

Reaction score
Checked out the new cats last night in Saskatoon.:) Very impressed even thou they are just prototypes and not yet all finished the same way. I wanted the retro until i saw the white up close, WOW very nice job.

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah they look sweet....hopefully they handle good. Wish I could get a black 800 162" though. That green and orange sucks. Arctic cat has had a problem with some fugly colors! Still WAY excited to get mine!

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well...here's my report from the Saskatoon Sneek Peak. I went to the show with a good friend who is a die hard Cat fan (4 sleds including M8's). He loves his cats and is a serious mountain rider.We were both wanting to check out the new Cats. I am a Polaris dude but appreciate other brands new technology and improvements and also was very interested in the new cats.

My freind and I are details person so when he checked out the details of the new Cat's I was surprised that he was very disappointed. He was totally turned off.
Far too many riveted connections that are weak points and over time can allow the joined sections to loosen up (especially on tunnels and bulkheads) been there on cats myself.
Access to work on/inside the sleds engine compartment was our major downer.
Paint was deplorable. (When you are trying to sell a product would you not put your best foot forward and show the product at it's best. Hope this is not what buyers are getting.)
Very unclean busy tunnel.
Saddle comfort...well sit on a Poo and you'll know what a seat shape should be for the sled's intended use. Ugly saddles.
Unfinished look...Taillights with ugly metal brackets and instrument console same. Weight...they had the numbers at the show. M8 470 lbs in comparison to Poos PRO RMK 431lbs. We lifted both front and rear and boy was it noticable. I had better stop here.
Although my Cat friend was very turned off and a I agree with his points of concern I think Cat has a much better looking and likely performing sled than the past... and as my friend loves his M8 for handling these would likely be even better.
On another note when he checked out the Poos (not paying attention to the new Poos in the past as he is a die hard Cat fan) he found all his negative issues with the new Cats none existant with the Poo. I think he is falling in love with a new brand. He was very impressed with the Poos.
My verdict...Cat's engineering mindset is not much better than the 91 EXT special I once owned. Lots of rivets (that failed). I would only buy one if Poo went out of buisness or lost their design/engineering culture as they did in 05.
My friends verdict...you allready know how he feels.
As for Doo...Hate the XP looks (none existant styling to me), Great engine technology but not realiable enough in the 3000 mile range. Just my experience and opinions. Far too expensive and parts are stupid price.
Yami...At the show there were large crouds around all brands but Yamaha. Not sure why they even bothered to show up. Try to lift one. Nough said.
Choose wisely.;)

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So which models of the mountain sleds did Cat have at the show? I am looking forward to seeing them on sunday as well. I am also a die hard cat guy but got the chance to ride the Pro RMK last weekend and was very impressed at the way they handled, but with that said i could tell that the stock M8 had more power, so I am leaning on the fence with my blank cheque on which brand to buy for this year.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So which models of the mountain sleds did Cat have at the show? I am looking forward to seeing them on sunday as well. I am also a die hard cat guy but got the chance to ride the Pro RMK last weekend and was very impressed at the way they handled, but with that said i could tell that the stock M8 had more power, so I am leaning on the fence with my blank cheque on which brand to buy for this year.

Spent most of our time checking out the M8 2 stroke so cannot remember what all they had. No use for heavy turboed sleds although my friend wants to turbo a 2 stroke. I don't read on the forums where the HP is the detail that people are complaining about with the Pros of those who switched from the Cats last year. Overall performance seams to be what they are lovin. Takes more HP to move more weight. And Cat has both of these if you know what I mean. Check out what people are saying that switched. proof is in the pudding;)

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well...here's my report from the Saskatoon Sneek Peak. I went to the show with a good friend who is a die hard Cat fan (4 sleds including M8's). He loves his cats and is a serious mountain rider.We were both wanting to check out the new Cats. I am a Polaris dude but appreciate other brands new technology and improvements and also was very interested in the new cats.

My freind and I are details person so when he checked out the details of the new Cat's I was surprised that he was very disappointed. He was totally turned off.
Far too many riveted connections that are weak points and over time can allow the joined sections to loosen up (especially on tunnels and bulkheads) been there on cats myself.
Access to work on/inside the sleds engine compartment was our major downer.
Paint was deplorable. (When you are trying to sell a product would you not put your best foot forward and show the product at it's best. Hope this is not what buyers are getting.)
Very unclean busy tunnel.
Saddle comfort...well sit on a Poo and you'll know what a seat shape should be for the sled's intended use. Ugly saddles.
Unfinished look...Taillights with ugly metal brackets and instrument console same. Weight...they had the numbers at the show. M8 470 lbs in comparison to Poos PRO RMK 431lbs. We lifted both front and rear and boy was it noticable. I had better stop here.
Although my Cat friend was very turned off and a I agree with his points of concern I think Cat has a much better looking and likely performing sled than the past... and as my friend loves his M8 for handling these would likely be even better.
On another note when he checked out the Poos (not paying attention to the new Poos in the past as he is a die hard Cat fan) he found all his negative issues with the new Cats none existant with the Poo. I think he is falling in love with a new brand. He was very impressed with the Poos.
My verdict...Cat's engineering mindset is not much better than the 91 EXT special I once owned. Lots of rivets (that failed). I would only buy one if Poo went out of buisness or lost their design/engineering culture as they did in 05.
My friends verdict...you allready know how he feels.
As for Doo...Hate the XP looks (none existant styling to me), Great engine technology but not realiable enough in the 3000 mile range. Just my experience and opinions. Far too expensive and parts are stupid price.
Yami...At the show there were large crouds around all brands but Yamaha. Not sure why they even bothered to show up. Try to lift one. Nough said.
Choose wisely.;)

Wow...i guess we are all entitled to our opinions...lol

so if your a "detail guy" why is there no info on the "poos"

as for the rivets yes they all have them and these are proto types....

Ive been a dealer for a few yrs... and i have seen alot of changes in the industry. and i think it may be a tad harsh imo to compare a model from 2012 to a 91 model (ext)

I guess the Yamaha booth would be quieter as they havent had only a few upgrades the past couple yrs...but i do remember 97-98 they were on top...
as well as the fourstroke intro in 1991 and apex / nytro models...

but like i said we all have our own oppinions and it seems you are very happy with your polaris and thats good.... i sure the proof will be in the customer ride reports and time will tell.

The engine Cat has are proven, the fourstroke technology is proven, so i being a dual line dealer have had experience with all and look forward to getting a chance to ride the 2012 and then after some seat time i will be able
to give people my ride impressions... i know in nashville they were a hit...lol

just seemed a little harsh on the "other brands" but we do all have our own
thoughts...thanks for sharing...

Terry

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just our first visual impressions and it seams that other forums are noting simular comments. The other manufacturers from what I have seen in past years bring their best (not poorly finished prototypes which is a big mistake in my opinion) as any top notch company knows that first impressions are the most important ones. My friend is an example of how to turn off a faithfull tribe member.
I do believe Cat will have a very good product this year and I do like the stand back 10' and see eye candy.
Sled head 24/7 gave the Pro RMK top rankings for the second year. HP is not everything folks although I must say I am dissapointed that Poo has not matched Doo and Cat in the HP dept. I can only imagine what it would be like to have a Pro RMK with 165 Hp stock. Taillights anyone.
Like others I will take reliability over HP.
Just my opinions.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they had a retro 1100t, the white 1100t, 1100t hcr, green m8 sp, blackm8. sorry i didn't pay attention to anything else

killerrf

Reaction score
i also went. yeah that white and orange ltd. m1100t was way way heavier in the front compared to the m1000. that extra weight as to be noticeable when riding it. yeah yeah... just put on a fuel controller and be up to 220-230 hp but i dont know. definitely would have to ride on for a while before i buy one. when you have 2 feet of powder most things will respond well to body language its when the snow is somewhat crusty or setup it will be difficult unless your a big guy. m8s were nice. nice tight steering post. vertical felt much better than the the horiztonal on the m1100t. new cats are nice but i wasnt crazy about them. we will see how all that have one coming for this season on how they fair out with them. may i can get a newer 10-11 m8 or m1000 for way cheaper this fall.

skidoo's are really narrow. and new style 800 engine... with oil cooling or something like that. nice sleds just cant see my self on a doo anytime soon.

polaris was alright other than they are clued together.... lol.... or should i say "molecular bonded" . i do have to say though that the rmk does get right up on the snow and super easy to ride when i had a chance to do so. but i dont know why they are much lower on the hp numbers... if they were up to cat and doo hp they would have a number one seller im sure. could always turbo it i guess.

yamaha was quiet but i was very impressed on how that nitro was getting 270 hp on only 91 octane with the aftermarket turbo setup they had on that one. that is very attractive. price is comparable to most turboed sleds from new. if i went away from cat i think i would give a turboed nitro a go for the next brand switch.

lots of different tech out there. for now ill see what the fall brings and make some decisions.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others I will take reliability over HP.

Not too often over the past years have I heard of guys buying Polaris sleds because of them having the most reliable engines. I think if Polaris could have had less problems with their 800cc engines they would have a far bigger percentage of the mountain sled sales than they do. The 800 Dragons and Pros do seem to work really well (if you can keep them running); but no 800cc engine has proven to be more reliable than in the Arctic Cats.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is true and that is why I bought the new M8 Sno Pro. I was debating this year of buying a Pro RMK but, i was disappointed in the power difference between a stock 2011 M8 and the Pro. The Pro was lacking but i will say that it handled better then the M chasis a far as boondocking but could also be a little dicey comming down a hill with tracks on it, and wanting to dart off.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not too often over the past years have I heard of guys buying Polaris sleds because of them having the most reliable engines. I think if Polaris could have had less problems with their 800cc engines they would have a far bigger percentage of the mountain sled sales than they do. The 800 Dragons and Pros do seem to work really well (if you can keep them running); but no 800cc engine has proven to be more reliable than in the Arctic Cats.

Polaris and reliable. Two words that's never seen together. I've often wondered how such a shitty 800 could even have fans. The owner of the biggest engine flops is polaris. 800 and 900 cc that boom and no fix for the purchaser. Oh. Now the 2011 800 engine lasts a season and now it's the ch!t. I guess it is if u compare it to the 800 km life span they had I'd take up hiking before I'd by a polaris. That way when it dies I can walk out no problem

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a look yesterday and the only thing I didn't like was the lack of space to change a belt, it just seemed very small to get a belt in and out of (they were prototypes maybe they will actually be better once they are released), however, they did look nice. (coming from a Poo guy). ;)

cles

Reaction score
Hopefully, with the Torque Control Link, there won't be very many belt changes!! I liked them enough to plunk $500 down on a M8 SnoPro 162". Summer Sucks!!! Steering is tighter than the old chassis and it seemed easy to get on it's side. Standing position felt good. I don't care for the little peep glass for checking oil level, but fill up before every ride anyway.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a look yesterday and the only thing I didn't like was the lack of space to change a belt, it just seemed very small to get a belt in and out of (they were prototypes maybe they will actually be better once they are released), however, they did look nice. (coming from a Poo guy). ;)

Are you allowed to be hanging out in a Cat discussion!!??

Me thinks someone may be interested. Long live the Cat!

Top Bottom