Fernie Winter 2016-2017

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
850 is in the shop so no riding this weekend cant wait for our trip back on the 24 hopefully the good snow sticks around

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Freezing rain at the bottom of Morrissey at 6:00.

Pow was still good up around Wranglers but it was getting a bit wet...lots of trucks in the parking areas and lots of people at Wranglers cabin...maybe the most I've ever seen on a weekday.

Trail was bumpy but it should be groomed this evening.

Fernie is a bit of a cluster F#$k right now with all the snow and now the freezing rain.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope the pow stays good.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havent been out this week, but heard the trail is a disaster. Whats up with the club this year? Always seamed to be in really hood shape when Doug ran the groomer, since then... not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havent been out this week, but heard the trail is a disaster. Whats up with the club this year? Always seamed to be in really hood shape when Doug ran the groomer, since then... not so much

Don't get it either! Been riding all week and with a record snowfall and very cold evening temps to be able to groom and get it set up would have been nice. Grooming schedule showed today from 8-5. We came down at 5:30 and no groomer and it was a mess! There needs to be 3 groomed night. Thursday, SAT and Monday would be good or Sunday night.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shes deep up top but holy fawk is it hard to get around! We were down around 5500 feet and we were barely able to get around on the 174s. Could go about 3 mile an hour on the flat and anything more than a couple of degrees was a no go. Once we went back up to higher elevation it was a lot better, but still a lot tougher to get around compared to the last two days.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Flyer

Reaction score
Booked rooms in Pincher Creek. Now I hear highway 3 is closed again. Hope it reopens by Saturday morning. We haven't ridden in Fernie before. One intermediate rider and two young, fit beginners. Only planned to ride the trail and hopefully find some meadows to play in. Not contemplating any risky terrain. Are we on the wrong page? Can we get above the freezing level and find some fun snow without exposing ourselves to avalanche hazards?

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Booked rooms in Pincher Creek. Now I hear highway 3 is closed again. Hope it reopens by Saturday morning. We haven't ridden in Fernie before. One intermediate rider and two young, fit beginners. Only planned to ride the trail and hopefully find some meadows to play in. Not contemplating any risky terrain. Are we on the wrong page? Can we get above the freezing level and find some fun snow without exposing ourselves to avalanche hazards?
IMO Fernie can be a bit tricky for new riders to find the easy stuff, but avy wise it's pretty safe. We will ride zero consequence stuff for days when the avy risk is high.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Flyer

Reaction score
Thanks Lococoin. I'll cruise the staging area and ask for some local advice when we get there.

Also considered Silent Pass and Invermere. Silent Pass has no cabin, and the trail in was long and rough previous years. I don't know Forester or Brisco. Haven't been there yet.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lococoin. I'll cruise the staging area and ask for some local advice when we get there.

Also considered Silent Pass and Invermere. Silent Pass has no cabin, and the trail in was long and rough previous years. I don't know Forester or Brisco. Haven't been there yet.

Why not quartz creek? It's easy to get around for beginners, it has a cabin and there is a lot of easy terrain. Sorry don't mean to high jack the fernie thread. Just a suggestion.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Well thanks for the memories. Yes, baby-butt smooth was the name of the game. I operated back in the day but it was a club effort (Stamler, Scarpelli, Hutchinson, to name a few of the regulars). I will agree that two days a week with the amount of traffic is not enough.

I am also wondering if the "tiller" actually is as good as a heavy drag. They don't use them down east on the long trails and from what I am seeing, maybe they are just for the ski hills. The trail doesn't seem to last as well and I know a lot of things play into the shape of the trail (snow conditions, grooming temps, and set up temps).

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is deep and late in the afternoon yesterday the temp changed and the snow was like glue. A rookie mistake but hey, it was time to do a track inspection and take a look at the mild steel runners........

IMG_1342.jpg

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride save everyone. These conditions were the same as years ago when the tragedy in Harvey Bowl happened.....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes it is. A cornice drop and possibly a propagation releasing a slab further along from the cornice drop, on the back side of the ridge behind the Rolling Hills cabin. The westerly side of the power line.........back in the day when I was grooming that place was always an indicator for myself.

Heavybrewster

Reaction score
What are the recommendations for sledding this weekend in Fernie? Would Corbin be a better area to ride given we are bringing a rider who has never ridden the mountains?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That little warm spell will probably cause a crusty mess with the cooler temps coming.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the hwy going through Fernie. Rained all night and temps got super warm up at elevation. Hey closed past ski hill. Rained at Corbin and pipeline yesterday. Not cool. We are heading home when hwy opens.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
****....that looks bad.

Worth getting up at 4am for a day trip sunday?

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
****....that looks bad.

Worth getting up at 4am for a day trip sunday?
Not sure what to tell you. I'm a snow snob and after riding the sickest snow Tuesday and Wednesday and then seeing the change in the snow yesterday and now the rain and +1 temps at elevation last night and then tonight getting to -4 to -8= me and riding buddy headed home today. Hwy 3 just got reopened.

Top Bottom