Farmer talk

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quarter section of farmland with $4k oil revenue just east of innisfail sold last week for $1,035,000.00. WTF?
Them globalists you said didn’t exist have been buying any available land,they just use stolen money so price-shmice eh

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gov needs to cap foreign investment money its fuckin everything up
Over hear some farms backed by foreign money driving prices up like crazy its bad enough with the guys in the area backed by canadian corporations lol

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gov needs to cap foreign investment money its fuckin everything up
Over hear some farms backed by foreign money driving prices up like crazy its bad enough with the guys in the area backed by canadian corporations lol
Some recent hutterite land accusations seem to be bought by a third party corporation, looks to be Chinese funded.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some recent hutterite land accusations seem to be bought by a third party corporation, looks to be Chinese funded.
We got brent butt over in our area backing a 20,000 and a 40,000 acre farm along with chinese investment aswell im just not sure how tbe farmer is gettin paid in these deals honestly

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its happening in the ok valley as well
chinese firms bankrolling all these cherry orchards and packing plants

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here on the island they seem to be buying up businesses like crazy,I personally think that they will be a bigger threat to our country then any pandemic or new world order,they will take over the world without a single shot fired.sucks it's moving into our farmers and food supply,hope the Canadian guys can hold on or will they just price them out,don't know much if anything about prairie farming but it shouldn't be allowed. That's our screwed up government for you.no suprise.

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s not all bad….I had a Chinese guy track me down 4 yrs ago bought a 1/4 section off me with a 30 acre lake for an insane amount of money been in my family for 4 generations I remember my great grandfather saying he bought it for a pickup load of grain and a pig….not sure what his plan is for the land but it is a sloughy chity quarter and the worst one I own…I paid 50k for the same 1/4 20 yrs ago….

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got spring nh3 prices $1.31 a fackin pound last year .44,.47 cents a pound ontop
Of that phos 1280 sulphur 780 urea 1210 at these fert rate prices if we have another train wreck crop insurance wont even cover the inputs we have dropped our rates so much for next year cant realy drop them anymore not sure what to do

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you….pretty chity times he had stupid drought again this year yielded 45% on hay and crops…. I have never seen grain prices this high tho but I guess have to be to cover costs…feed is high cattle prices are low but never see a price drop in grocery store only up up up

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something has to change by spring doesn't it? I know lots of guys that haven't pre bought fertilizer yet. Some guys have talked about chemfallow where they were planning cereal crops.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But yet you talk to truckers and they are all busy like crazy busy. Moving grain/ corn from transload facilities and fertilizer moving
3 weeks ago our agronomist said he had a pile of guys with nothing booked and not small acres.
Pretty hard to plan. Should never plan to not grow a crop but I think some are on that path. And if it doesn’t rain ... they may be on something
If it does rain early spring there won’t be a tonne of fert to be found. Liquid or dry imho

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i am not prebooking will ride it out and see, were switching acres from canola to peas to cut input costs, sure glad we dont still farm 16000 acres lol lots of guys around us have contract buyouts to add ontop of these high fert prices, and we really cant prepurchase anyways still waiting on oct contracts to be taken and got bills to pay

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i am not prebooking will ride it out and see, were switching acres from canola to peas to cut input costs, sure glad we dont still farm 16000 acres lol lots of guys around us have contract buyouts to add ontop of these high fert prices, and we really cant prepurchase anyways still waiting on oct contracts to be taken and got bills to pay

You prob know this but if stays dry you’ll want to consider clearfield wheat variety on your peas. As viper or odyssey to kill canola
Maybe there’s other options but think you’ll have residual
We have switched it up a bit and doing more lentils on canola last couple yrs
Be looking to try clearfield durum variety for next yr Hopefully not so much $$ lol

Suprised you guys are having trouble moving grain up there. Not to busy around here or at least when I’ve hauled to couple different elevators. Haven’t sold to much tho & no contracts to fulfill.
Spread some urea already. Bring rest & seed blend home in Jan. Might hate myself for booking or pat on back time will tell

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quarter section of farmland with $4k oil revenue just east of innisfail sold last week for $1,035,000.00. WTF?
Depending how far east I’d think that’s not outrageous, quarters around lacombe have touched $10k/acre. Mostly driven by supply managed operations but still a few grain farmers paying up too. I guess hoping for $25 canola and 80 bpa.

The world better hope to hell that politicians figure out how to keep inflation at a reasonable rate, interest rates double and guys leveraged on chit, land included will be screwed.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something has to change by spring doesn't it? I know lots of guys that haven't pre bought fertilizer yet. Some guys have talked about chemfallow where they were planning cereal crops.

$15/L glyphosate doesn’t make chemfallow look very appealing to me. We prebought all our fertilizer this month for spring delivery (no fertilizer storage on farm and using different blends).
2022 fertilizer bill is 2.6x more expensive than 2021 for roughly the same amount.

Chemical retailer also asking us to increase our line of credit for next year.

John Deere salesman stopped by yesterday. If you order a tractor today you might have it in time to seed your 2023 crop.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is getting western^

Went to Costco with the wife yesterday was floored by the prices of some stuff.

Will be interesting to see how much of these expense increases will be past on to the consumer or eaten by the producer.
Tough times ahead.

Top Bottom