Farmer talk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys create a list of all the wrecks and f--kups made during the harvest to be revealed at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Did it many years ago and was good for a laugh. Combiners seemed to be the luckiest and truckers took a Beating. The stuff that happened and nobody knew about it was the biggest surprise. Truckers and run around guys made sure the list did not become a yearly thing. Lol
Here is a fresh one.
3f62c3213dec55246fae6cf46214e0a5.jpg

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys have finished up here in just the last few days. Still some to come off but should be cleaned up in a few days.

We didn't get rolling till the 20th of Sept. Last year we finished wheat on the 16th of Oct (not normal). What a difference one year can make.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked my wheat bins this morning. Been 3 weeks since it went into steel bins at 30 degrees celsius. Found Rusty Reds in half the bins already even though temps have come down? Treat them Tuesday when can locate some Phostoxin. Always drama in farming

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked my wheat bins this morning. Been 3 weeks since it went into steel bins at 30 degrees celsius. Found Rusty Reds in half the bins already even though temps have come down? Treat them Tuesday when can locate some Phostoxin. Always drama in farming
What causes that?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that eggs on the plant that will hatch under the ideal conditions. Plenty of heat in the bin from putting it in hot. Expect to see lots as no cool weather during and since harvest for bins to cool down naturally or with aeration. They keep multiplying and then create a hot spot in the bin and spoiling will start and you can lose the bin. I'm surprised you have never heard of them? Rusty red grain beetles

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We vacuum out our flat bottom bins as best we can and put " Protect It " on the floor and by the door to catch any that may be in cracks but doesn't work all the time.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that eggs on the plant that will hatch under the ideal conditions. Plenty of heat in the bin from putting it in hot. Expect to see lots as no cool weather during and since harvest for bins to cool down naturally or with aeration. They keep multiplying and then create a hot spot in the bin and spoiling will start and you can lose the bin. I'm surprised you have never heard of them? Rusty red grain beetles

Are they the ones that eat out center of kernel and reproduce.
Had those once and binned went to feed grade and had to treat before selling. You could see the kernels moving.
Little red bastards were super hard to see.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can remember grampa and dad saying they had to treat bins for that way back in the day, not something I have had to deal with, and honestly haven't heard of it being a problem in our area for a long time.

Come to think of it they used to spray empty bins down with malathion just because lol.
This was probably the reason.

Maybe grain dryers kill them lol.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can kill with with a grain vac as well. They are to fragile for the rough environment in a vac to survive, Legs and heads can break off.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And here I was thinking the last 2 months has been ideal for farmers being warm and no rain to get everything off, but still complaining about the weather :p

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much of that food actually makes it to the people that need it most of the places are run by dictatorships and they end up selling it to the black market

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting Curtis. That was awesome!! Gotta love those kind of stories.
The Vulcan Lions Club does this type of project as well Doug. As a matter of fact a couple of our own snow and mudders are a big part of that project. I believe SnowJunkie82 (Aaron) has donated the use of the land as well as equipment putting in and taking off the crop as well as joum39 (Josh) who also supplies equipment for the quarter section that is seeded every year. Bravo to those 2 great snow and mudders!

Top Bottom