FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard from Ozone? maybe it's time for him to come forward and explain to the uneducated what happened at Turbo on Saturday.

I am sure there are legal reasons that he will save his coments for a while,,, but there was 200 hundred other people that could speak and explain what happened,,, I dont think the word BIS has anything to do with it in my opinion,,,, that would be like saying its the ski hills fault for killing that kid with a tree and like others have stated we all gather all the time,, heck snowandmud was there 5 weeks ago exact same spot with 200 plus people,,, and on march 27th Yamafest was suposed to happen similar type of event....

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now the injury lawyers have taken notice of sledding and avalanches.

So if you ride on a mountain and mother nature slides snow down the hill, you might be liable. I would like to see a slimy injury lawyer get the evidence that proves the snow would not have slid anyways. Many slides occur naturally. Everyone better ride with liability insurance.

The link is below.

Captain-sno

Reaction score
The daily trail pass fee is $18 it was increased over a month ago. The SRS has been given permission by gov. to charge up to $25 for a daily trail pass. There were not 800 riders on the hill that day. Club members did not pay a trail pass fee. The additional $2 was charged to cover additional operating costs not to clean up the mess. The SRS employees are paid. We were there for 17 hrs.

The trail pass fee is showing to be $20.00 on the website. I sent a letter to a reporter on his article to point out some things, and pointed out that he was in error on the extra fees charged for the "event"....(I took it as him implying a connection to the club which is totally false...no part of BIS). His article stated $20.00 normally and $25.00 because of the event. I basically restated what PP has said, and he told me to look at the website as it clearly shows the trail pass to normally be $20.00, and said he paid 20.00 today...thought Boulder was closed until Wednesday?

MR4WD

Reaction score

So if you ride on a mountain and mother nature slides snow down the hill, you might be liable. I would like to see a slimy injury lawyer get the evidence that proves the snow would not have slid anyways. Many slides occur naturally. Everyone better ride with liability insurance.

The link is below.

You're kidding, right??

teamti

Reaction score

The link is below.

Charges possible. RCMP throws this out almost as a matter of course and media reports it because it satisfies the lynch mob mentality. Crown still has to approve those charges and good luck getting "beyond a reasonable doubt" to stick. So yeah, its just an opinion but I can't imagine much happening on this beyond some media fluffing and bleating by dumb commenters in news articles

but what does your comment have to do with the Turbo slide? This slide was triggered by humans. In fact by multiple humans. It wasn't a natural occurrence.

polaris800rmk

Reaction score
Hello felow sledders,Just a few lines to say.First people who like sledding do it because they love it.Second people who like mountain climbing and so on love it.So what is the big deal here.If you like quading,camping,fishing,you do it because you love it.One more thing i am from newfoundland originally.and did the goverment stop fishing the Grand Banks when fishermen where lost at sea.NO they did not so what is the problem here.NO PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER. Thanks for listening.:cool::cool:

m8magic

Reaction score
you know a few years back the feds wanted to block off huge parcels of riding area from use sledders...i asked why..??..they responded that they did not want the liability of traffic in these dangerous areas if someone got hurt...i called bs on them on the liability..they said why do i think they would not be liable...i just said...you see that dotted line on that striaght stretch on the hiway...the one that says its ok to pass...well if someone is coming from the other direction but i still pass because that dotted line says its ok and i hit the oncoming vehicle do you think the department of highways is liable because they painted the dotted line..??...the area never got closed to sledders..lol..

m8magic

Reaction score
i don;t think any charges will have the stamina to survive...but now as far as private civil suits...well saddly the only one that i see any possibility of happening is the people who were charging the 25 bucks for the trail pass..i don;t know who bears the brunt on that one..the provincial government or society...but they are the ones who should be losing sleep...i thinks its all bull but im just making an assesment...the civil lawyers will go after the deep pockets and they have plenty of options without even considering the so called big iron shootout which was finished and over for the day in a location far removed from the tragedy

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Candles to Remember 2010......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

I am a little disheartened with the following:

Sherry (Smiley) had started this fundraiser Feb 26, now after this latest tragedy here is where the numbers stand.

The fundraiser to date orders submitted is as follows
Total 160 candle sets sold
Over half of them sold are from non snowmobilers.

Sherry has put herself out there to the media, stating that not all snowmobilers are "Bad" "redneck idiots" She was trying to raise a good news story for US SLEDDERS stating that we care........
But yet when trying to raise money for OUR SPORT we can not pull together.... Why is this?

How sad is it going to be when the Media asks for the total numbers raised and She will have to state that We as snowmobilers only raised $1000.00 for the Canadian Avalanche Center.

These are the people that put out our bulletins...... It's sad to watch how this past weekend has turned into yet another verbal boxing match between the sledding community and the media/and non sledders. From where the numbers stand now it’s fair to say the media and non sledders are going to come out on top again.....

Sherry has been defending the sledding community with her heart and soul and is having to put on a smile when talking to the media while they have tried attacking her on our personal tragedies (which was for the most part not aired) and questioned whether snowmobilers actually care about safety.

I am very proud of Sherry for starting this fundraiser as she has finally found a way to turn not only our personal tragedies but the sport as a whole into something positive. This fundraiser is supposed to be for us to REMEMBER ALL OF OUR FALLEN COMRADES and to remind us of how fragile our own lives can be.

Can we please turn this verbal boxing match around? I think and hope our actions can speak louder than our words.

I know sledding is thought of as a "GUY" sport but the intention behind this fundraiser is what really matters. I understand that a lot of the "GUYS" out there are uncomfortable with the idea of buying and or selling candles, but come on we (females) are not going to think any less of you in this case.
We will really think more highly of you for putting yourselves out there for a good cause.

Sledders say that they stick together and support each other, must I remind you that Sherry is trying to do a good thing for all of us and that she is a sledder (born and raised). We have a week and 4 days left of this fundraiser let’s try and bring the numbers up so we can be proud of ourselves as a sledding community and show the non sledders/media that we do care and are trying to make a difference.

Hats off to Sherry for taking a stand and starting this (not saying this as her mother but as a fellow sledder)

A much needed "GOOD NEWS STORY"

Terry Beck

Sorry, sorry. I am going to make a decent donation, just didn't get to it yet. I will though soon, I promise. It's a very good cause. Your post is a good kick in the butt!

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The link is below.

Speaking of which... I'll guarantee that insurance rates on sleds are gonna take a jump next year. :mad:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don;t think any charges will have the stamina to survive...but now as far as private civil suits...well saddly the only one that i see any possibility of happening is the people who were charging the 25 bucks for the trail pass..i don;t know who bears the brunt on that one..the provincial government or society...but they are the ones who should be losing sleep...i thinks its all bull but im just making an assesment...the civil lawyers will go after the deep pockets and they have plenty of options without even considering the so called big iron shootout which was finished and over for the day in a location far removed from the tragedy

did you ever take the time to read your trail pass??? not the big print, the small print. I know what ours says.

Last edited:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ten RCMP investigators arrived in Revelstoke on Monday afternoon to begin what is expected to be a lengthy probe into the two deaths.

Like we don't know what happened.

Give them some snow shoes, a bagged lunch, and a camper to sleep in and see how lengthy the investigation is...
:rolleyes:

duch17

Reaction score
How is it any different then getting charged to put your boat in a lake and then you fall out of your boat and drowned, is it the fault of the marina? Get rid of all the boats out there or just get rid of all the access to lakes, no you use better judgment! There is a reason why its called a accident and this was a very bad accident and that all it was, there should be nobody being blamed we should all just make sure we use better judgement every time we go sledding or use the backcountry. Make sure that your fellow sledder has a bit of knowledge because it seems that there are alot of people that have very little to none.
I know the this episode is going to make me go out of my way to pay attention to my surrounding alot more and use the rules of the backcountry.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you ever take the time to read your trail pass??? not the big print, the small print. I know what ours says.

it is pretty tough to make the small print work lately as you make no attempt for anyone to read it. and you have no signature of anyone reading it. a good lawyer will make you look like you had your pants down. fine print means squat. ask any oilfield company out there you must sign anything you must read, and they keep a copy. why don't the ticket sellers take everyones name and trip info when they sell there trail pass, makes search and rescue a little easier, maybe contact info also, your system seems very micky mouse, no regards to safety just give me the money. it could be better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom