FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People need to start calling the B.C solicator general and call bullch!t on charges being laid in this accident. Just heard about a young skier passing away from injuries after running into a tree on a ski hill. WHY ARE CHARGES NOT BEING CONSIDERED IN THIS SKING ACCIDENT

Are they considering laying charges ? who will the charge? everyone who made there own decision to head to the mountians that day... what a joke

xpsledneck

Reaction score
kudos out to all the sledders who weren't buried and got the search going and saving many lives :beer: cheers to you and god speed to the 2 fathers that lost there lives you will always be remembered for your passion in the sport you loved.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they considering laying charges ? who will the charge? everyone who made there own decision to head to the mountians that day... what a joke

just heard that the BC solicitor general are considering charges on global news.

bobloblaw670

Reaction score
Hearing on the news now that charges may be laid. Seriously!!!Who will be charged? and with what. No one was forced against their will to be there...either as a spectator or a participant. And what of Ozone Dave....is he to be the sacraficial lamb in all of this? Can we expect a gallows on main street Revy?

A sad turn of events for sure. Will it keep me out of the backcountry? Not likely. Any of us that spend any amount of time out here know the risks, and hopefully equip and prepare themselves for the un-imaginable. The press is having a hey-day with this. The tragig events in Crowsnest Pass last year didn't even get this much airtime.

MtnDoo2

Reaction score
I'd personally like to see the event organizer (OZONE Dave? others..) clearly, publicly and decisively acknowledge the tragedy, offer specifics on whether the gathering where the incident occurred was part of the larger event or not, call out where there are opportunities to improve safety and declare the 2011 event alive and well with significant improvements.

The only way to show that as a community that we have learned is to actively engage and lead.
Take the high road in the face of adversity and tragedy.

I hope those who promote the BIS have the cajones to come into the light, stand up and make this right going forward - if not, those lost an affected will have been harmed in vain. This is an opportunity to show the depth and fortitude of the snowmobiling community that we saw in those who quickly organized and saved lives.

If we leave an "information void" someone IS going to fill it.
It's better that it be someone responsible within our community who has their head on straight and not media-influenced bench-sitters casting stones who don't understand snowmobiling, the backcountry or our sport and wish us further harm.

I'd like to attend this event in the future and meet many of the people I see on these boards, but it needs to pass the sniff test with my wife. As it sits today - it doesn't.

My $00.025 USD.

MtnDoo

Pack Mule

Reaction score
My condolences to the families and friends of the two gentlemen that parrished.

I do want to thank everyone that assisted in the rescue efforts. I was amaized at the rescue speed and that every sledder that was able was doing everything they could to save others.

There are many unsung heros that the media is failing to highlight. Sledders, Rescue crews and chopper pilots all need a toast and a huge pat on the back. This is the largest group of people involved in a single avalanche in north america and things would have been much worse had everyone only worried about themselves.

I wish the media and politicians could have been there to see how much this sport (and its not for everyone) means to use and the effort anyone of us would put in to to save or help each other. Choices that day, good or bad were made and we all pulled together to help each other in a bad situation.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why should any of the "promoters" come forward? It was an "unsanctioned" or "outlaw" event for exactly this reason. Run what ya brung at your own risk. Sure if someone wanted to try and control an uncontrollable event like this with the resources to make sure John Q Public was safe, it would cost so much no one would come anyway.
The mayor, town, SRS are all keeping this at arms length because no one wants to lose their azz in a lawsuit when things in the backcountry go sideways and people are looking for someone to blame. You think Jackson's Hillclimbs are where they are by accident?

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no way should charges be laid accidents happen and they all chose to be there it would have happened big iron or not. my next comment may piss some of you off but i think with in the next say 2 years everyone buying a trail pass should need an ast1 certificate its not going to stop avalanches but it may open peoples eyes to the dangers a bit more and save a few lives . maby some more people wouldn't have parked there if they undertstood the way an avalanch works especially with a fresh 80cm and a face as big as turbo just my 2 cents. Hagmanmod1

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW!!! I was sick to my stomach when I first heard the news of this tragedy. My son and I are or were planning to go to Golden this weekend but tragic events like this take away all the desire to go sledding in the mountains. I can't even imagine how the families of the deceased are trying to cope with this. After all the smoke has cleared and after the coroner's report has been released there is a good chance we will be dealing with a new set of rules associated with sledding in the backcountry of B.C. and it won't be pretty.

Britt

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Big Iron Shootout Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

WOW almost the first one out of the chute and you break the#2 rule.

This is a place to put your thoughts about the conditions, the event, snowmobiles etc....however there are some rules.

1. No swearing.
2. No personal attacks/slander/threats etc.

"Lets try our best to educate the Stupid"

why take that tone?

Welcome to SW Forum.(LOL) If you took my remarks personally or found them threatening... I'm not sure why you would, I apologize. When I refer to the "Stupid" I refer to those who don't have an understanding of sledders or the sport itself yet shoot their mouths off in an attempt to make us look bad. I also apologize if you feel the word "Stupid" is swearing.: What I'm getting at is, over the coming weeks there will be some ...... "inane" ideas and concepts put out there on which direction this sport will be required to go in an attempt to prevent this from ever happening again. Unfortunately I can't see any way to completely prevent deaths in this sport. Kash Heed, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General was just on global TV saying that by Nov 2011 there will be guidelines set in place for all off road vehicles and operators. Here it comes, the "inane" concept that a $75 sled safety course, that all of us will have to take in order to own and register a snowmobile, is going to prevent sledders from taking risks on the slopes in the back country. I'm sorry if you don't like my "tone"....but ask any Mod on here, this is my Nice tone. I'm trying to behave!:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zig Zag

Reaction score
very sad moment indeed. Condolences go out to the family's affected. I am disgusted with people on cbc and globe & mail with all of the comments they Leave such as how the sport should be banned or putting the 'Blame"on someone? Not a time to be pointing the finger at people. Crazy and Ignorant.

I could not agree more media sucks.Bad info bad focus from the get go on their part. Here was a situation that could have been much worse but do to the sled community and it's prepardness many were spared. Sounded like an excellent effort on alls part at the scene right after. Like others have stated this event has been well attended with far larger numbers in the past. Guess a bunch of sledders did make the call not to go after CA report last Thurs. Hope and prayers to all the injured here's to a quick recovery:beer:

MtnDoo2

Reaction score
<<Why should any of the "promoters" come forward? It was an "unsactioned" or "outlaw" event for exactly this reason.>>

Simple answer IMO: Because it is the honest thing to do. And it gives them an opportunity to stand up and control the current tailspin that will further damage the snowmobiling community.

There's no accusation or malice in my words. It's all constructive.

Something needs to change for a great event like this to go forward with dignity. Denying that mistakes happened, and not improving things is asking for more trouble - none of us want that.

There are probably several million dollars worth of sleds on that hill, huge economic impact, and all of the intangibles you could imagine. It is worth correcting, legitimizing and making something even better out of it. Heck, I'd like to see Raven (mayor) say that he'd welcome the event with some changes, and engage as well - can you imagine how much $$$ flows into that town during this weekend?

There will always be a fringe element, but the core of such an epic event should be maintained and kept healthy. How to do that is another chapter, I'm sure, but you've gotta have goals!

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but that's what I think.

MtnDoo

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion is,

If an event when you entice a crowd, no matter what it is, there should be some kind of responsibility to control the crowd.
Sure it is an event that you could choose not to go, but there are so many that do not look at the avy forcast, or even know of one.
I have been to the last few BIS events, and in the last couple, there was some control. Not for the people, but for the sled parking. If you were a spectator, you had to park behind a line. Anyone could still go and hang out in the "pit".

To ignore a high avalanche forcast is one thing, but to rally a bunch of people during one and not have some form of control, I think that is not right.
I'm not saying that there wasn't any, but something wasn't done correctly, and lives were lost.

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by nov. 2011 there will be a set of rules & regulations in place aimed @ backcountry use;.
be it skiers, cat, heli,& sleds. wiegele has been pushing this for 15yrs? looks like things r gonna change.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
One thing to consider if you are Ozone Dave, and suspected of being the organizer of the BIS. Being an unsanctioned and uninsured event takes away liability should there be injuries and/or deaths during the event, HOWEVER, this does not limit him from a civil lawsuit from any of the injured parties or those that were killed. I would only imagine that he is sitting with legal counsel regarding what he 'should and can' say in such a way as to not incriminate himself any further. He will be the sacrificial lamb in this even after he is heard from. I cannot believe that he intended for anyone to get hurt, and would be well advised to protect his position before coming public with a statement.

The law is an ugly thing, but likely what is going on...at least these are my thoughts...

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
I've rode in revy when the danger has been high. We've always tried to make good decisions and fortunately we've never had an incident. I'm not saying we've always done the right thing, just that we've never had to suffer the concequences. Yes some poor decisions were made that day and it's too bad that happened. Those same people that made those poor decisions also made a ton of great decisions after things went south and their immediate rescue effort saved a pile of lives. Now we're hearing all the comments from non-snowmobilers that the warnings were high and nobody should have been out there. I would like everyone to answer this honestly. You get up in the morning, it's storming outside so you turn on the radio, the highway report comes on and they are not recomending travel due to icy roads and reduced visibility. How many of you can honestly say you have always left your vehicle parked and never carried on with your plans of traveling? How many of you said to yourself I'll just be careful? How many of you people that are critical of what happened have never rode in a vehicle when travel is not recommended? That guy your meeting on the road isn't any different than the snow up above you, your life depends on what he or it's going to do. On the evening news later on we all hear about the 75 vehicle accidents and 2 deaths on the highways that day. Oh by the way one of the vehicle accidents was a bus load of kids going to a hockey tournament in another town, lucky for them when their bus rolled in the ditch nobody was seriously hurt. Not so fortunate for the mini van 1 mile up the road that had it's occupants killed when the truck they met lost control and hit them head on. How's this any different? People decide to take risks every day. Most the snowmobilers that ride in the mountains prepare themselves for the risks by purchasing, wearing and learning to use as much of the avaliable safety equipment they can afford. As unfortunate as this is, rest assured this incident will save lives in the future. More people will make better decisions, especially those that were there. We've all made bad decisions in the past, lets try to make better ones in the future, both on and off the mountain.

Very well put MT. I had many friends there and and the stories I have heard are chilling. People who know nothing about the backcountry or the sport are chiming their opinion because as humans it is easier to judge based on ignorance and stick with the rest of the mob. I'm sure we all realize that 90% or more of people outside the sport are watching the sensationalized news reporting and just shaking their heads saying "they are all stupid for being out there in the first place" or something to that effect. For the judges and sensationalizers in TV land this is a terrible thing to assume and it is also a terrible thing to embelish reports with suggestive type wording, which happens in all news reports....unfortunately. Lets take people living in TORNADO ALLEY, for example. You LIVE in TORNADO ALLEY!!! Should charges be laid on people for the destruction caused by mother nature? Should the Government be charged for not shelling out the money to relocate towns and trailer parks? Consider the frequency of tornados to avalanches involving people, who is crazier, sledders or trailer park residence? How about those living on flood planes? Do we call these people crazy for staying there year after year? Do we lay charges on someone for the flood damage and deaths every year? Avalanches happen in seconds, tornados and severe weather are monitored, floods you know well in advance are on the way! Yet people stay and accept the risks!! Absolutely no different in my opinion, we play with mother nature and so do people LIVING in natural disaster prone areas, except they know its coming and have a little bit of warning at the very least.

I hope I didn't break the rules with my quote. My thoughts are with the families, friends and people involved in this event. If I had been in country at the time I would have been there with my friends who were in the slide path. One friend started her sled first pull and headed for the shelter of the patch of trees and just got out of the way. She passed another buddy who couldn't start his sled soon enough and started running. What a sinking feeling it must have been to pass a close friend and know you can't stop to pick them up, only keep yourself alive so you can help others after its over and hope for the best. Fortunately all my friends, including the runner, were only injured and stayed on top or near the top of the avalanch to be rescued.

It has been stated earlier that we need to turn this into a possitive and if anyone out there has any ideas or programs they want to start as far as education or signage on the mountains or whatever send me a PM if you need any help. I think there is enough passion in this sport to be able come up with some ideas to take safety to the next level for us backcountry riders other than technology and personal protective equipment.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a sledder, a biker, an ATV'r, a scuba diver, a boater, a skiier, an oilfield tank truck driver, a commercial bush pilot trained in risk assessment and decision-making, and an otherwise normal male human, I believe that we all take risks: every day. Without some risk, we could live an otherwise boring life that might push us to even greater evils, some social, some physical, and some spiritual. There are countless examples of everyday risk-taking. eg.How does a mom accept and challenge the risk of taking her (and her friends) children for a drive in less than perfect conditions? We all make our own choices and will strive to maintain that right. Education helps most of us to return unscathed. Accidents will continue to happen, and oh so sadly, fatalities will also occur. Coming down Turbo Hill after turning out is one of the most exhiliarating rush's I've ever experienced. Even more than a straight-to-earth spin that is a normal part of advanced pilot training. Would I stop my best friend from doing either? Only perhaps if the odds known to our experience and science were against his/her favor.
Almost 60, I hope to sled freewilled til I can't anymore sometime Beyond 80. Ridehard: Ride safe: Ride Eyes Wide Open. :cool:
Rest in Peace, our Fallen Angels.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This is a place to put your thoughts about the conditions, the event, snowmobiles etc....however there are some rules.
  1. No swearing.
  2. No personal attacks/slander/threats etc.
  3. If your commenting try and have your facts right.
  4. If you comment then you must accept that others will want to respond to that comment.
  5. Try not to take those comments as a personal attack.
  6. Remember that not all sledders agree/disagree with riding in the mountains when the risk is elevated, please attempt not to put all Alberta and British Columbia sledders into one group.
    • No attacking the Moderators for "doing their job"

Those who deviate from the above list may find their posts deleted or we may have to ban you.

*** Comments made on this thread or site do not reflect the views the Moderators or of snowandmud.com ***

Top Bottom