exhaust packing

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was wondering what peoples opinions on exhaust packing for both 2 and 4 stroke applications are.... have a fmf powercore 2 on a CR500 and a bills pipe on a CRF 450. i havnt repacked either one, the 500 has had that system on for quite a while and i just got the 450 a few months ago so im not sure about it. does the packing actually help the motor to function properly or is it just a noise dampener...? ie, should i repack the damn things ?

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that the expansion chamber on a two stroke exhaust plays a bigger role in how the motor works than the packing in the exhaust. It's best to repackage them if the packing is falling apart,missing, or soaked in oil (in the two strokes case).

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The packing has a big effect on power and it can even throw your jetting off. I bought a bike with a mangled stock silencer and no packing so I cut off the wrecked part effectively making it a shorty and packed it and wow did I ever pick up a bunch of torque and clean up the spooging. For the $20 it costs I would just do them and then you're probably good for 2-3years depending how much you ride. Be careful when washing too as water really wears out packing a lot quicker.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u can buy the matting at most bike shops or find a bit of the fibre glass pink and stuff the cavity.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wrap it around the cylinder core as tight as you can and still be al=ble to shove it in the exhaust pipe. wrap tie wire around the matting to keep it tight and to hold it together. works wel, same as the packing you buy at the bike shop, only you have a little more work to get it installed. old timers used it lots. (me) for one.

Top Bottom