Eight feared dead in Fernie avalanches

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
push the button, I am now confused, no buttons on my beacon (and it will transmit for like 5 days beacons are for rescue and recovery:() ..

That's my point. People need to even understand the simpliest things about our beacons. There are no buttons. It's on transmit all the time. It will remain this way till batteries die which should be days. Nobody should be out there with less than 50% battery life. If a battery at 50% goes cold it can die pretty quick. Switch them out for less important devices like GPS and radios.

I haven't heard an update yet, but I fear the worse.

Thoughts go out for family and friends.

ronkytonk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Six bodies recovered at avalanche site, two still unaccounted for
1 hour ago

FERNIE, B.C. — Police say six bodies have been recovered from the scene of two avalanches that struck 11 snowmobilers in southeastern B.C.

The six bodies are being removed from the scene near Fernie by helicopter.

Two men are still unaccounted for.

Three other men had survived and walked to safety after the back-to-back avalanches on Sunday.

Police had said earlier that they still had hope for the men, all in their mid-20s and from Sparwood, but time was not on their side.

Search efforts were delayed by the need to bomb snow in the area to reduce the chance of more avalanches impeding rescuers.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Six bodies recovered at avalanche site, two still unaccounted for
1 hour ago

FERNIE, B.C. — Police say six bodies have been recovered from the scene of two avalanches that struck 11 snowmobilers in southeastern B.C.

The six bodies are being removed from the scene near Fernie by helicopter.

Two men are still unaccounted for.

Three other men had survived and walked to safety after the back-to-back avalanches on Sunday.

Police had said earlier that they still had hope for the men, all in their mid-20s and from Sparwood, but time was not on their side.

Search efforts were delayed by the need to bomb snow in the area to reduce the chance of more avalanches impeding rescuers.

Terrible news. Thanks for the update and everyone be careful out there.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's my point. People need to even understand the simpliest things about our beacons. There are no buttons. It's on transmit all the time. It will remain this way till batteries die which should be days. Nobody should be out there with less than 50% battery life. If a battery at 50% goes cold it can die pretty quick. Switch them out for less important devices like GPS and radios.

I haven't heard an update yet, but I fear the worse.

Thoughts go out for family and friends.

I think the signal their talking about is the SPOT which can be set to send a distress automatic if a safe button isn't pushed at a given time.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it was the SPOT. It was activated at around 2:00 on Sunday.

The three that dug themselves out were spotted by a helicopter walking back to town. This was read from a newspaper.

Prayers for the families and rescuers that they stay safe as well.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't believe there was back to back huge avys in the same spot minutes apart, have never heard of this so unreal and unfortunate godspeed to all involved.

SparkyX670

Reaction score
Spot can send an automatic GPS tracking signal to your designated contacts via email and Google map reference and cellular message notification, however, to send a help signal or 911 signal you have to be able to press the button.Also need to have a clear view of the sky with the transciever pointed up, according to the manual.I went right out and bought one this afternoon.London Drugs on sale for $119.99 until Dec.31.It does require an subscription for activation though.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. My thoughts are also with the 3 survivors. I could not comprehend what they must be going through right now. Also thanks to the search and rescue for putting their lives at risk looking for the sliders. I’m sure they did the best they could. It’s all very sad.

Tsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prayers go out the the riders and their families.. As we go out tomorrow.. alot to keep in mind..

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very tragic news. my condolences go out to all that this affects. the rest of you please be careful out there.

SLED SLUT

Reaction score
this is a very sad day for all sledders my thoughts and prayers to all family and friends and thank you to the search partys involved

snowtec

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a MAJOR blow to those of us that LOVE the BIG HILLS.
What these Families must be going threw is unimaginable.
Lots of talk of beacons and other pieces of technology.
Remember if you need to use you beacons, probes, shovel, Air bags, SPOT you have made a SERIOUS mistake.
Education IS the only answer. Don't under estimate the importance of our brains.
Just got back from visiting a VERY good friend dying from Pancriatic Cancer.
IF I'm lucky I will die riding my Sled in the Big Hills.

Top Bottom