Eagle Valley (Sicamous) Updates 2014/15

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
141219a.jpg 141219b.jpg 141219c.jpg 141219d.jpg New update, hot off the presses! I just got down off the hill from Owl's/Blue. The road up to 2km is slicker than snot on a doorknob, although on the way down it wasn't quite as bad. Heavy rain in town right now will wash away any snow that was on the road up to km but probably still leave that layer of ice on it. I don't think I'd be hauling a trailer up to 2 km but the alternative to ride on rocks and mud ain't good either! Not much snow on the trail up, it didn't start to show much until about 10km, then there's was maybe an inch or so. There is enough to keep the Hyfax from melting but not enough to keep the temps on the motor from going up, and I used up all the snow on the sides of the trail! Its not until about 14km when you can tell its been snowing, and it just keeps getting deeper as you go up, maybe 4-6" at the Owl's turnoff. I zipped in and had a look at the river crossing, it has frozen over again and with a bit more snow and cold temps it'll be fine. I didn't go to Owl's, pretty socked in all over, snowing pretty heavy. I carried on up to the Blue Lk turnoff, lots of snow up here! Hell, I even had snow over the hood a couple times, albeit because I couldn't see the road and went into the 4' ditch on the side of the road, still counts as snow over the hood though. It was pretty nice to break trail on some fresh stuff, a good 1' in some spots, and most of the whoops are covered in, snowing heavy here as well but limited visibility due to fog. I figured I would "sneak" through to Blue Lk and mess that up before anyone else however, about 2/3 of the way up the trail through the bush its now active logging! Yup, big sign up from the logging contractor to not enter the area, and there was in fact logging going on where I was. So, that's where I had to turn around, we don't want to be pissing off the logging contractor right now, we might need his D8 to carve some trails for us before they leave the area!
So, back at the 2km parking lot, I'm loading the sled up and two guys come up the trail on their sleds, the Artic Cat stops and tells the guy on the 174 T3 that his sled is overheating. They stop for maybe 3.5 minutes, spark the sleds up and the Cat goes "braapppp, braappppppppp, braaapppppppppppppp" all the way up the trail, on and off the throttle. My question is, is this how your supposed to cool the motor down cause I've been doing it all wrong if it is! There was also that smell of melted plastic when I headed down the trail, I wonder if they notice that! Anyways, I think the weekend will be pretty good up top, but its getting up there that might be the problem. I envision many overheated sleds and lots of Hyfax repairs!! Sherm

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 181081View attachment 181082View attachment 181083View attachment 181084New update, hot off the presses! I just got down off the hill from Owl's/Blue. The road up to 2km is slicker than snot on a doorknob, although on the way down it wasn't quite as bad. Heavy rain in town right now will wash away any snow that was on the road up to km but probably still leave that layer of ice on it. I don't think I'd be hauling a trailer up to 2 km but the alternative to ride on rocks and mud ain't good either! Not much snow on the trail up, it didn't start to show much until about 10km, then there's was maybe an inch or so. There is enough to keep the Hyfax from melting but not enough to keep the temps on the motor from going up, and I used up all the snow on the sides of the trail! Its not until about 14km when you can tell its been snowing, and it just keeps getting deeper as you go up, maybe 4-6" at the Owl's turnoff. I zipped in and had a look at the river crossing, it has frozen over again and with a bit more snow and cold temps it'll be fine. I didn't go to Owl's, pretty socked in all over, snowing pretty heavy. I carried on up to the Blue Lk turnoff, lots of snow up here! Hell, I even had snow over the hood a couple times, albeit because I couldn't see the road and went into the 4' ditch on the side of the road, still counts as snow over the hood though. It was pretty nice to break trail on some fresh stuff, a good 1' in some spots, and most of the whoops are covered in, snowing heavy here as well but limited visibility due to fog. I figured I would "sneak" through to Blue Lk and mess that up before anyone else however, about 2/3 of the way up the trail through the bush its now active logging! Yup, big sign up from the logging contractor to not enter the area, and there was in fact logging going on where I was. So, that's where I had to turn around, we don't want to be pissing off the logging contractor right now, we might need his D8 to carve some trails for us before they leave the area!
So, back at the 2km parking lot, I'm loading the sled up and two guys come up the trail on their sleds, the Artic Cat stops and tells the guy on the 174 T3 that his sled is overheating. They stop for maybe 3.5 minutes, spark the sleds up and the Cat goes "braapppp, braappppppppp, braaapppppppppppppp" all the way up the trail, on and off the throttle. My question is, is this how your supposed to cool the motor down cause I've been doing it all wrong if it is! There was also that smell of melted plastic when I headed down the trail, I wonder if they notice that! Anyways, I think the weekend will be pretty good up top, but its getting up there that might be the problem. I envision many overheated sleds and lots of Hyfax repairs!! Sherm
U going for a rip tomorrow ?? Looking for someone to ride with??

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tex78, would like to go but I'm FUBAR'd for the weekend, kinda why I wanted to see what it was like today. Next time up will be beginning of next week, I'm hoping! There's supposed to be a big weather front coming in Sunday so it might just leave a good dump of snow before Xmas and, Unc Gord said those logging dudes were supposed to be outta there before Xmas. Can you spell Blue Lake! If no one has been up there it should be pretty decent by now Sherm

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tex78, would like to go but I'm FUBAR'd for the weekend, kinda why I wanted to see what it was like today. Next time up will be beginning of next week, I'm hoping! There's supposed to be a big weather front coming in Sunday so it might just leave a good dump of snow before Xmas and, Unc Gord said those logging dudes were supposed to be outta there before Xmas. Can you spell Blue Lake! If no one has been up there it should be pretty decent by now Sherm
I know how to get onto blue lake from the last cutblock on the connector trail, yes blue should be not road for some time... Sushhhhhhhh lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummmmmm Not good

Went to eagles , never even made it to cabin

Bad, ice layer below foot ish of new

Creeks are open, and ice on either side on banks, real bugger to get through and many places to cross

Passed a group at 20 km about 2:30 ish just going up

They spun out about 50 times with half ton and enclosed , no chains , trailer and truck hit ditch many times

Lack of snow is the word , didn't go off the main bump fest much as not much snow and too many iffy lumps

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like Eagles until after Xmas unless it gets a good dump early as it is.

Hopefully winter goes well into April this year...whenever it decides to start.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was more snow at queest in middle of nov last year than now

Actually really bummed out, not sure how this next week is going to go

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't do Sunday but am going to give it a whirl Monday or Tuesday. Raining pretty hard in town right now so you guys should have a dump of good snow tomorrow, high avy risk though for tomorrow. Looking at the Sicamous site it would appear they are using that trail through to Blue and have a trail on the side of the plowed road. I guess those "do not enter" signs don't mean to much..Sherm

rcardle20

Reaction score
Going for a rip up owlshead tomorrow to have a looky ride

Not sure if it's going to be better than eagles or not
I wouldn't mind joining yA.

Ive be got a four place and would imagine it's not much good to me right now at owls head???

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind joining yA.

Ive be got a four place and would imagine it's not much good to me right now at owls head???
I would say not for owlshead

Lol came across group late yesterday when we where coming down, get going down the hill and see y there late

Half ton, enclosed trailer

Suck, spun, in the ditch every 5 feet

Top Bottom