Duramax Noise

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a 07 classic 230k coming home and a intermittent like a lifter ping that comes on for a few seconds and if you let off it goes away injector noise??

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Possibly....injectors are common..... Try some really good cleaner/conditioner, like stanadyne and see if it goes away or improves. Did this just start happening in colder weather? Gas stations are running winter diesel and it can make noisy injectors more pronounced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly....injectors are common..... Try some really good cleaner/conditioner, like stanadyne and see if it goes away or improves. Did this just start happening in colder weather? Gas stations are running winter diesel and it can make noisy injectors more pronounced

Add two cans of sea foam to a full tank of fuel

Best cleaner there is

Buddy had a old 6.9 ford dsl.. only thing that made it start and run good

He tried everything that's made..

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Add two cans of sea foam to a full tank of fuel

Best cleaner there is

Buddy had a old 6.9 ford dsl.. only thing that made it start and run good

He tried everything that's made..
X2.
Is it all stock or does it have any performance mods done?

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a EFI chip but just started doing it today was running Lucas in it but quit a while back will try sea foam and see check engine lite was or is on have 1 glow plug not working for awhile now #1 cylinder.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

Didn't the injector issue end in '04.5 with the release of the LLY? I thought the injectors were only a problem on the LB7.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a EFI chip but just started doing it today was running Lucas in it but quit a while back will try sea foam and see check engine lite was or is on have 1 glow plug not working for awhile now #1 cylinder.
Set it back to stock and see if it goes away.
Also I'd pull that glowplug and make sure the tip didn't fall off!! I don't need to tell you what your noise is if this is the case.......
Injector issues after the LB7 models were rare but sometimes you can get a sticky needle even in the new ones. I'd run some cleaner and see what happens.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Set it back to stock and see if it goes away.
Also I'd pull that glowplug and make sure the tip didn't fall off!! I don't need to tell you what your noise is if this is the case.......
Injector issues after the LB7 models were rare but sometimes you can get a sticky needle even in the new ones. I'd run some cleaner and see what happens.
The glo plug issue has been there for some time and the first thing i did was switch back to stock and quit for a bit and is doing it still. Will check the glow plugs.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Hope fully your glow plugs don't snap off!! Let them soak for a while if you plan on removing one

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Soak the glow plugs with fluid.

We have three dead glow plugs in our 04 LLY. One busted off when it was removed. $4,500 to remove the heads and get them out
Apparently GM never put any anti seize on them from the factory. Steel glow plugs in aluminum heads. Ours has 280,000
So it's possible they will break off

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got it. tryed to pull codes but they are unknown now efi code is p0116 or 0280 and old bullydog is u1026 anyone know what these are.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The u code is a communication code, I.d have to check the otheres

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soak the glow plugs with fluid.

We have three dead glow plugs in our 04 LLY. One busted off when it was removed. $4,500 to remove the heads and get them out
Apparently GM never put any anti seize on them from the factory. Steel glow plugs in aluminum heads. Ours has 280,000
So it's possible they will break off
Ya I have never ever broke one off

But while I was gone on holidays, the one retarded tech at work broke one drilled it out a ways.. Then they left it for my to fix

I got it with a long twisted extractor without pulling the head

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Probably doesn't help that the truck was from Out east either Oh well she still starts ok in -10 /-15. It will have to last a little while longer. Not worth putting the money into.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just tried it while running and came up #1 glow plug and reset but will come back on going to pick up sea foam have 1/4 tank of fuel going to change filter and add a can and see.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The p0116 is for the engine coolant temp sensor ckt ...

Clear the codes as who knows how long they been in there, see what comes back current code

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The p0116 is for the engine coolant temp sensor ckt ...

Clear the codes as who knows how long they been in there, see what comes back current code
Cleared codes and took for a drive seems to do it under very light load it starts to ping or rattle 4-5 times and louder sound and starts cycle again untill you tromp on it and does not do it till you let off around 1500 rpm goes away for awile and comes back when it does it it feels as there is a miss and no codes come up.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well u may have to take it to a dealer, make sure it has new filter, and see if it has any injector codes... Also tell them to check the balance rates of injectors and any over ( + or -) 3 mm suggest fixing... The spec is 4 but I have seen ones just over 3 either lean or rich on fuel and cause issues

Top Bottom