Durable off pavement sxs trailers?

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for a well built trailer just big enough for one side by side with brakes that can handle long distance ungraded logging roads? And can you get trailer tires in a heavy ply?

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for a well built trailer just big enough for one side by side with brakes that can handle long distance ungraded logging roads? And can you get trailer tires in a heavy ply?

Not too sure but it won't have any aluminum on it.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Focus on the tires, depending on the size of trailer you should be able to get at least a 225-75R15 tire in an 8 ply. Dont go cheap on the rubber, a Goodyear Marathon in that size will run you around 200.00 per but your in much better shape with it. If your trailer has 16" rubber its pretty easy to find a 10ply.

Last edited:

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Focus on the tires, depending on the size of trailer you should be able to get at least a 225-75R15 tire in an 8 ply. Dont go cheap on the rubber, a Goodyear Marathon in that size will run you around 200.00 per but your in much better shape with it. If your trailer has 16" rubber its pretty easy to find a 10ply.

Good advice Tom. thanks for the input.
I've always hated dragging trailers around and have always had quads that fit in the truck but now the new side by side won't fit.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what side x side you ended up going with?

Needed more of a utility one so I went with a can am defender hd8. Was going to go Yamaha but the single cylinder just doesn't do it for me.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to tow an enclosed service trailer on the logging roads in SW BC and actual trailer tires do not fair to well with the sharp rocks usually found on our roads. I used to use LT all terrain tires but you have to make sure they are rated at least 10% higher weight capacity than the trailer tires to keep the cvse happy.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Custom built heavy duty trailer, built to the way you want it! Pm me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

just a sxs so 6x10 ish , kind of a small trailer to have electric brakes ? you might have to order from factory to get brakes . rainbow trailers is prob only one ive seen that small .

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make your own trailer be way better than junk anybody sell s . I run 16 Inch light truck tires they are way better. I run Dana 60 wheel hubs with truck leaf springs . U can go as fast as u want on logging roads never have problem.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a sxs so 6x10 ish , kind of a small trailer to have electric brakes ? you might have to order from factory to get brakes . rainbow trailers is prob only one ive seen that small .

Ya it is pretty small but I have several miles of 17% hills I come down and not having a jake on the pickup sucks lol

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make your own trailer be way better than junk anybody sell s . I run 16 Inch light truck tires they are way better. I run Dana 60 wheel hubs with truck leaf springs . U can go as fast as u want on logging roads never have problem.

I just don't have the skills or time for a trailer project at the moment.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Custom built heavy duty trailer, built to the way you want it! Pm me!

neil sleder. would go that route but the distance is a thing unfortunately.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are in bc but these guys make a decent trailer and will build custom

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd find a good quality trailer with a solid structure. ( ie: full length steel tube or channel frame, strong cross members , pressure treated 2x6 deck).
I'd then replace the 3500lb axle and springs with a 5000lb axle and springs (springs, not torflex) with shocks and brakes, and get good quality 15" rubber with load range d tires.
The 5k suspension with shocks gives you great durability, 15" wheels allow for larger hubs, brakes and better rubber, yet won't be so stiff that it pounds everything to pieces like a heavier (7k axle,16" wheel) setup would.
While you're at it, install greaseable shackle bolts, replace the lights with sealed LED units, solder and heat shrink all wiring connections and you'd have a worry free trailer that would last you a very long time.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An Aluma aluminum trailer would not scare me ... Owned a few .. Very we'll built . If you spring it to heavy ... Any trailer wil literally shake to bits on a pot hole / rough road.
The suspension should be in balance with the load ...!
Over sprung ,will destroy it in no time .

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd find a good quality trailer with a solid structure. ( ie: full length steel tube or channel frame, strong cross members , pressure treated 2x6 deck).
I'd then replace the 3500lb axle and springs with a 5000lb axle and springs (springs, not torflex) with shocks and brakes, and get good quality 15" rubber with load range d tires.
The 5k suspension with shocks gives you great durability, 15" wheels allow for larger hubs, brakes and better rubber, yet won't be so stiff that it pounds everything to pieces like a heavier (7k axle,16" wheel) setup would.
While you're at it, install greaseable shackle bolts, replace the lights with sealed LED units, solder and heat shrink all wiring connections and you'd have a worry free trailer that would last you a very long time.
Why not use a torflex axle?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not use a torflex axle?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Torflex are ok as long as they're new. They can sag as they age and they're unserviceable. I've seen them get sloppy and loose as well. With a spring suspension particularly one with wet shackles, you can maintain them, and you have better unloaded ride and often better travel. Torflex are also much more expensive to replace. Manufacturers like them because it's a quick and easy install.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An Aluma aluminum trailer would not scare me ... Owned a few .. Very we'll built . If you spring it to heavy ... Any trailer wil literally shake to bits on a pot hole / rough road.
The suspension should be in balance with the load ...!
Over sprung ,will destroy it in no time .

One thing with aluminum is when it cracks it's very hard to fix! The road grime and salt gets into the crack and make it almost impossible to weld. And it will crack.

Top Bottom