Drone License

linktel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Day,
I want to get a drone and have been doing some research and just found that I need a Drone pilot license.
I realize that this is an open forum and it may be difficult to answer if others got their license.
I found out if you are flying a small light weight drone you don't need a license.
If any one has added insight that would be great.
Thanks

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything over 250g and you will need a licence. Also i suggest you possibly do the online drone school before you write the exam there is alot to learn about with regards to flying them and the proper licence you will need to be legal, otherwise the fines start at 1k up to 20k. 1 other note if you think you are going to be flying it around in the city think again not so much as it is very restricted airspace, and if you do you need an SFOC and designate times it's alot of hoops to go through. I recently got all the requirements and plan on doing some photography/videography as well just as soon as it warms up. Definitely a nice hobby if 1 can afford a decent drone, because you get what you pay for. There are a few fella's on here with some Aarf i know hopefully he will chime in and share his vast array of knowledge as well. Best of luck if you decide to go with this new hobby:)

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have 2 drones at work.
The newest the DJI mini.
It’s lightweight and does not require a license
we fly it inside the Firehall and outside.
But the wind really moves it around.
The big one at work has a FLR on it. It’s snug like the Inspire 2

I like my Inspire 2 for farms and acreages for pictures and videos as the wind does not really effect it.

I use the app to check weather before flights.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I passed the test for the basic license with zero prep. Or 'cheating' for that matter. I missed one too many questions for the advanced. So had to do it twice. I never did do the practical exam for the advanced. No time. A friend was stressing about the advanced and l just wanted to see what it was about.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new DJI Geo zones can be a pain.
Even with a level 2 licence you have to contact DJI to allow drone to work

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
57F95253-4C2F-4924-AB88-33A7B71E762E.jpeg

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been doing some crop flying last few weeks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new DJI Geo zones can be a pain.
Even with a level 2 licence you have to contact DJI to allow drone to work
I purchased an authorization certificate for my mini 2 from dronehacks, no more limitations. Just fire it up and fly lol. The new authorization requirements are ridiculous.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I purchased an authorization certificate for my mini 2 from dronehacks, no more limitations. Just fire it up and fly lol. The new authorization requirements are ridiculous.

I check it out.
Yes the new rules are ridiculous

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
f8b892aafbf85d2822ef5d50bdfc4fe9.jpg

Both are fun.
Inspire is great for large farm pictures and videos. Wind does not bother it either.
Mini is great around building and small areas.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Mini's are under appreciated for their capabilities. I shot this yesterday with my Mini 2, at this point though I find the 12MP camera lacking, but this is fixed on the Mini 3 with a 48 MP version.

Muncho Lake-1.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small drone camera capabilities are fantastic the problem is bad weather. Big drones have big power and you can pretty much fly them in a hurricane. But for someone just doing photography you wouldn’t be flying in bad weather anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a Beast, what kind of time u getting in the air with that bad boy?
After spraying a whole 20L tank it comes back with about 55%, so I don't know that you would do 2 flights on 1 battery. I'd guess about 15 minutes of flight on one battery but the lift off with the 20L uses a ton of energy. Maybe on a dead calm day you could but the battery and tank take seconds to swap out. You can connect 5 together so they all go out and work on the same field. They make one now that is twice the size of this but it's not available in North America yet.

Top Bottom