doo down

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my 2010 summit xp went down today. I was out for a ride with some friends crossing a field then all of a sudden I lost a piston. This sled only has 1400 miles on it. I think it may be time for a brand change. I have owned three 800 summits from doo and all have did the famous 2000 mile burn down. I run only 91 fuel and brp oil. I am so sick of this. At least this sled still has warrenty.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my 2010 summit xp went down today. I was out for a ride with some friends crossing a field then all of a sudden I lost a piston. This sled only has 1400 miles on it. I think it may be time for a brand change. I have owned three 800 summits from doo and all have did the famous 2000 mile burn down. I run only 91 fuel and brp oil. I am so sick of this. At least this sled still has warrenty.

crappy luck, but on the plus side, sounds like a good way to get a new engine every year or so on warranty. (if you can afford a new sled every couple of years that is):rolleyes:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think your doing something wrong if you guys are taking out engines that soon.

you have a 2010 summit and were bombing accross a feild in sask?

Tease

Reaction score
Lots of summit's in sask nowadays and other brand long tracks, not so many short tracks anymore. Costs too much to have both, if you go to the mountains a few times a season.:beer::beer:

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah maxwell I was playing in the field along a tree line where we could find some decent snow about 2 feet or so. Its not like i had it taped across the field then blew up we may be from saskatchewan but were not idiots. I hardly ever ride here. It just happened this year I am only doing one trip to the hills because we are going for 10 days to stewart/hyder. So as luck has it at least it blew up before I left to head west and not when i was up there. As for doing some thing wrong if you could tell me what that might be I would be happy to find out. Not trying to be a smart ass here. Just pissed at the sled. I clean the carbs ever fall. I start the sled at least ever month in the off season. Fuel stabilizer. I dont realy know what else to do to these things. I also changed my clutching for the lower elevation so I dont over rev.

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel is shell 91. I think Gold
I do put a liitle oil in the gas every time

Yeah as for the snow dust i have extreme air vents. It does have that stupid maxi pad air fillter but i checked It and it seems like it has a good seal. I have pulled it out when we have been ridding in the powder and there is never any snow dust in the air intake housing/ tubes what ever you want to call them.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I start the sled at least ever month in the off season.

I was told this is not good, better to fog the crap out of the engine and leave it sit until it's time to ride.

you say "lost" a piston.... what happened to it? scored? hole in top? exploded? Why one and not both?

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just one went scored. i dont know why one just would have went my 06 did the same thing just one ex side on both. Good to know about the fog thing I will be doing that this spring for sure then. I have a scope camera so you can look inside of the spark plug hole. use it mostly for work but works great for stuff like this. Looked down both holes the one is perfect and the other is a scored up.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never fogged any of my motors. Never had a sled blow a piston or crank. I just wear them out. :d
Oh ya ! my 97 XLT RMK with tripple pipes was hard on cranks, three cranks but not pistons. Them motors were junk, but the sled did haul azz in it's day.

tburg

Reaction score
i think your doing something wrong if you guys are taking out engines that soon.

you have a 2010 summit and were bombing accross a feild in sask?

i did the same thing always ran 91 and brp oil, 2900 km pto bearing let go and the crank split the case in half, new short block from brp 4700 km and i could hear the bearing howling took it in grease was gone and bearing coming apart, center bearing was done too. another rebuild i dont have cash for that every 2 years, going to try something else. if you scan the forums we are not the only ones it is a known problem

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if its relevant but doesn't the summit have a minimum altitude that it's supposed to be run at? If you're near that floor and it happens to be cold out you may be running a little lean.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 min before Doo Down

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ye5_yXW08[/YT

This was 10 min before sled went down.

Top Bottom