Dodge half ton reliability

Greg5658

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife's truck is a 2009 ram 1500 with about 250k kms, we're curious how many $ a year are you guys spending on repairs? I want to get rid of it before it starts costing us money. Local Chevy dealer is offering me a heckuva good deal on loaded Chevy which is what I want to get my wife into long run. But is it a good time? No point spending the money if the Dodge is going to be reliable for another hundred thousand.

sethier

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If making payments on a new truck there’re likely in the 700-800 a month range. A guy can do some pretty substantial maintenance on a vehicle for even one months worth of new truck payment. And a guy can wrench on an older unit a little easier. Reliability thoughts will always be there but maintenance goes such a long way. I’m running an 05 Chevy with 295 KM as my daily and plan on putting on many more. It doesn’t have all the latest bells and whistles but it’s long since paid off.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 04 dodge had 350 with out any major issues. Just meticulously followed the maintenance schedule. I think the only things I had to replace was the steering rack started leaking, and the egr valve died at about 220k. Other than consumables of course, like front end/tires/brakes. Those things all kinda snowball around the 200-250 mark.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 09 1500. It was a great truck! I only kept it till it had 225000 on it. I sold it to get a dually so I could run a sled deck. I wouldn’t of been scared to drive it for another 150000. I sold it to sledwrangler on here and never heard any bad about it.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’ve got a reliable anything that’s not nickel and diming you to death I’d keep it. A new one probably won’t do the job any better and will cost much more. If you still trust it, keep it and save your pennies to put towards the new one.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It it’s got 250 and been good and no problems with good services?
It will keep going with not much for repairs .
Seems to me if they are good they stay good . Lol

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found the Ram 1500 trucks to be incredibly reliable. When i bought a new one a few years ago, I gave my daughter my 2014, they are still running like new today. I have had one backup sensor in the rear bumper fail, and the original battery on the 2014, otherwise nothing but regular maintenance items.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this is a good news story... I am a different brand guy but I am happy to hear of your success story's. Honestly I was expecting to see a slay dodge thread. Maintenance is everything if you plan on keeping it start early and be preventative not reactive.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only issues I hear with the half tons is the exhaust manifold leaking and that’s an easy fix. Get the old warped manifold machined flat and it will never leak again. And the odd truck will have lifter issues. But I think that’s the guys that say they can get 20km before there oil change light comes on. If you do 5000 or 7500km oil changes you won’t have an issue

sethier

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest threat to running an older vehicle is road salt and the incompetence and stupidity of the agency that decides they need to salt only to burn up the budget so it doesn’t get cut next year.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest threat to running an older vehicle is road salt and the incompetence and stupidity of the agency that decides they need to salt only to burn up the budget so it doesn’t get cut next year.

bean counters

Top Bottom