1/2 Tons, Airbags, GVWR..... (Carried over from Revy Conditions)

JONSHOW

Reaction score
Original question posed on Revy Conditions thread

Coming to revy next week just wondering if I can have a sled deck on my half ton legally in bc ?

This is the initial response. Good information

Do some calculations. If you're overweight, you're illegal. Plain and simple. Most 1/2 tons don't have the capacity for a deck, 2 sleds, 2 or more guys, fuel, baggage etc.

My response

Throw a set of airbags in and you'll be fine.
You may be over your legal GVWR but lots of people do it all the time and have no issues.
I run bags on my 2011 RAM 1500 and have never had an issue with "The Man".
Just realize your front end will feel lighter and you should reduce your speed to compensate for the added weight of multiple sleds, gear, fuel and a passenger.
Your vehicle wasn't designed to haul the added weight so if you do get pulled over or questioned by the law just be upfront with them. You'll often find then pretty reasonable.
We can't all afford jacked one tons, especially when your dumping fat cash in to your sled!

This is correct information

Incorrect! Being over your weight limit cannot be solved by simple air bags. Brakes and axles among other things are also one of the reasons for a vehicles weight limits. If you are over weight, you are changing the suspension dynamics to the point of where the vehicle may not hand correctly. You're braking power/efficiency is also compromised and you may not be able to stop your vehicle as it's designed to. There's a while number of factors. Cause a collision and if CVSE inspects your vehicle+load and determines you were way over weight, and it was a factor in the collision, and you are totally up ****s creek without a paddle and a hole in the canoe!

This is very good information

I don't want this to turn into a discussion about decks/legal weight, but I couldn't disagree more. To Jrhcars, there are a ton of threads on this and you'll find your answer if you search. But I will say this: Airbags do not make it fine. If you don't need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton/can't afford one, save your money on the deck your 1/2 ton can't handle and go buy a new 2 place trailer for $2,000.

JONSHOW

Reaction score
Look Jrhcars, at the end of the day we all make our own decisions, good, bad or otherwise.
Yes overloading your 1/2 ton isn't the best idea in the world, but putting a sled deck on a half ton isn't illegal.
It is illegal to travel on public roadways if you are not in compliance with GVWR and local regulations (ie weight restrictions, road bans or otherwise...)
Loaded with 2 sleds, a deck, two guys, gear, and fuel your going to be anywhere from legal, to slightly overweight to maybe 1000lbs over weight.
This of course is all going to be based on your cargo, your vehicles rating and the regulations for the area you are traveling.
Airbags are going to help distribute the added weight across your vehicle by leveling your truck.

Someone on the original thread had a very good point about hurting somebody.
If you were to hurt, injure, or possibly kill someone due to your vehicle losing control due to an overload condition you need to be prepared to face the consequences which will be severe.

The information I posted on the original thread is unsafe and should be disregarded.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a poor horse flogged more then on this topic!

You must have forgot the hid headlight thread lol.
Deck on a halfer with airbags. Two sleds. Yes it can be made legal with a reg cab long box truck. Ext cab or bigger impossible.
Will a 3/4 haul better yes but with a big cab ie mega cab or super crew your still overweight. But still better than a half ton.
Been there done that hauled two sleds on a deck with my 09 super crew was nearly 1500 over. It hauled it but would have probly got a little sketchy in the hills power and braking not up big if issue but the soggy suspension could make going escalate rather quickly
Just my two cents

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbor is DOT and I have talked to him about this. In Alberta it's easy. They look at the rate of the tires. If the tires are OK, your OK. I was close to being over weight on my service trailer so put 8 ply tires on to increase load capacity. Do I dare take the trailer across the border West, Hell NO!! BC looks at the GVWR PERIOD! My neighbor has also told me if you have an accident and they prove that it was because of being overweight you're going to be in deep doggy do do.

LB __1

Reaction score
I run a 1/2 ton with air bags and I got on a scale all loaded up and was 80 kg over my GVW. I can see the cause for concern but with the snow and ice tires I run it handles like a champ on the worst roads. I would rather run this setup than have some ****ty little trailer with no brakes pushing me around on the highway or some jacked up 1 ton with oversized mud tires that don't work on the ice. I am planning on upgrading to a 1 ton with a flat deck but for now this is what I got.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look Jrhcars, at the end of the day we all make our own decisions, good, bad or otherwise.
Yes overloading your 1/2 ton isn't the best idea in the world, but putting a sled deck on a half ton isn't illegal.
It is illegal to travel on public roadways if you are not in compliance with GVWR and local regulations (ie weight restrictions, road bans or otherwise...)
Loaded with 2 sleds, a deck, two guys, gear, and fuel your going to be anywhere from legal, to slightly overweight to maybe 1000lbs over weight.
This of course is all going to be based on your cargo, your vehicles rating and the regulations for the area you are traveling.
Airbags are going to help distribute the added weight across your vehicle by leveling your truck.

Someone on the original thread had a very good point about hurting somebody.
If you were to hurt, injure, or possibly kill someone due to your vehicle losing control due to an overload condition you need to be prepared to face the consequences which will be severe.

The information I posted on the original thread is unsafe and should be disregarded.

Attaboy JONSHOW, threw you some rep.

Top Bottom