Dodge Cummins trouble starting....

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey. dont know if its a good idea if I make a post or not. but here goes...

my 1994 dodge cummins was acting up. seemed like the batteries were dying, so went to wal mart and bought some new ones. still barely rolled over, went for a 2 hour drive, still barely started the truck, went back and returned them. went to CT and bought some there, same thing! wth? so here I am, truck barely starts, need throttle to start it and when it does start it has a funny smell and coughs a ton more smoke on start up. alternator is good as the voltage meter reads 14 or so volts.....i'm stumped....anyone? I also need to get from grand prairie back to victoria on saturday and need my truck for work this week. needs to run, thanks

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it has only being doing it the past 2 days, would it go so suddenly? dont hear any grinding of any kind. thanks

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 prob the starter, they get sacked, my old '94 acted similar and a starter was the issue.

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check battery wiring and all main battery connections, especially that wire goes between the 2 batteries. x2 white smoke or black smoke question - lots of black smoke ok - just unburnt fuel, if white smoke maybe injector, blue smoke all bad. get infared temperature gauge and check temp on the exhaust manifold right by the block, all cylinders should be within 10 degrees of each other, if cold under fuel, too hot overfueling.

just my 2 cents

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty much all black smoke, but once there was a little bit of white, just finished changing ALL the battery connections, same thing. only thing I can think of is I recently changed the fuel water seperator and there was some sort of a censor on it? it was ripped off, seemed to have started after that, but where do the wires go? I have to go back to work tuesday and I have to run loads of brick, sand and tow machinery, my truck needs to be running properly tomorrow thanks guys

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you sure?? how much do you think that costs? *braces for impact* it runs great when its running lol pulls like a freight train. one more thing: my ignition wont shut the truck off, turn the key back, all the gages, stereo ect shut off but the truck still idles. its a 5 speed so I just put it in 5th, hold the brakes and release the clutch to shut it off

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a fuel shutoff solenoid on the side of the injection pump IIRC,.. the sensor on the fuel filter housing is probably water in fuel sensor

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the white water fuel separator? looks like an oil filter with a drain valve? if so I changed it. if not, would this sensor your talking about cause my ignition to not shut the truck off?

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that definately helped, thank you. but i just dont see how a fuel problem can effect electronics? im not doubting you guys, just confused.

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be sure to check all this stuff tomorrow morning! you have been a big help, thank you. I love my cummins, not so much my dodge

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldnt be oil would it? its way overdue as ive been broke for centuries, could not get so thick that the engine doesnt wanna turn over, could it?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil is the cheapest thing u can do u know.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay so I just starting tearing into my truck and found this solenoid looking thing, below it there is a boot that holds a spring loaded cylinder? but the boots rotted off and the cylinder cant go inside the solenoid (looks what it is to me) as it's fallen out. first off, what is this thing? what does it do? and where can I pick up a new one? im guessing CTC will have to special order it and I need to get back to grand prairie for work tomorrow.

yes, pilo7. its me.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the sol or what was it attached to? Also with electrical issue, check for a bad ground, or loose ground.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom