Dirty Crude???

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
OK still off by 3800 rigs ? Offshore rigs are pretty rare.

Ok sorry, semantics...

I 'meant' to say 'platforms'...There are around 3500-4000 oil platforms in the Gulf, my bad, but really do you have to be a knob about it, Im sure you knew what I was getting at...

I will try to correct my terminology for your sake in all future posts...sheesh!

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry, semantics...

I 'meant' to say 'platforms'...There are around 3500-4000 oil platforms in the Gulf, my bad, but really do you have to be a knob about it, Im sure you knew what I was getting at...

I will try to correct my terminology for your sake in all future posts...sheesh!

Well we are talking about blow outs and the oil they can spill, a regular production platform isn't going to have have a blow out...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this you can guarantee 100%. maybe investers in ocean drilling rigs will have there say on this in the very near future? we will see .

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Well we are talking about blow outs and the oil they can spill, a regular production platform isn't going to have have a blow out...

Actually we werent...in the first posts we were talking about potential increase in business, and drilling here for us due to the fact that there is loss of production, and possible impact to the offshore industry due to the accident and new rules...

My comment meant to indicate that one wells production in comparison to roughly 4000 other wells was a mere drop in the bucket...and likely not to create a 'boom' here again like in years past.

Long term if Obama really cracks down on new drilling, we may see some impact but it is a long way away. I was directly referring to other associates I have in the industry that are actually thinking that there will be a HUGE increase in drilling here, attributed to nothing other than Horizon sinking...and that was what I didnt agree with.

Anyway, I was in one super pissy mood last night, and your comment really irked me, so I apologize for jumping on you comments like I did...Bad Day...

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

Sorry if this is a stupid girlie question, but in order to have 4000 platforms, didn't various drilling rigs have to be operational 4000x? :confused:

One more, do they ever hit dry holes when drilling offshore?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do they ever hit dry holes when drilling offshore?

Yes they hit dry holes but usually they fire the geologist who told them to drill there right after that happens, just so that it doesn't happen again....

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a couple hundred dead ducks doesn't sound so bad now :rolleyes:

No doubt!!!! Well see if they still want to throw tarrifs on our "dirty oil" if they slow down drilling in the Gulf. Even insured the financial implications when the oil hits the wetlands is endless.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a couple hundred dead ducks doesn't sound so bad now :rolleyes:

The problem is that you are comparing an unprecidented accident in the gulf of Mexico to standard operating procedures here in Alberta. Not exactly apples to apples. :rolleyes:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the BOP is partialy/mostly closed.

What I'm wondering is, how long can that valve last before it washes out and starts puking even more...?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I have a buddy down in Texas that sells inflatable packers, they have been contacted for a solution, and the latest they are talking about is trying to bolt another BOP on top of the existing for exactly that reason...

Sounds like a good old SK well head change to me...Tie a long rope to well head, end of rope to hitch on pickup, open the valve and spin her off...the pressure drives it 30ft in the air until it hits the end of the rope, then safely falls to the ground LOL

Then spin a new one on, simple, no permits, no cement, no crews, just 2 good ole boys from the operations pool Ha Ha...

Hope they find a solution soon...

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know nothing to very little about oilfield stuff, but if you watch the video I think it says shear ram, which I had the understanding that it would shear off the pipe and close off the well. I"m just guessing but I think that robot hand wouldn't have that much power to shear anything off. Any oil guys care to fill me/us in?

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know nothing to very little about oilfield stuff, but if you watch the video I think it says shear ram, which I had the understanding that it would shear off the pipe and close off the well. I"m just guessing but I think that robot hand wouldn't have that much power to shear anything off. Any oil guys care to fill me/us in?

The shear ram is two hydraulic powered cylinders which force two ram blocks with cutting edges towards each other and across the wellbore, they are designed to cut the drill pipe, casing or tubing or whatever is within the wellbore and isolate the formation pressure below the ram blocks. The ROV isn't designed to provide the hydraulic power just to activate the hydraulic system which forces the rams closed. Basically there is a series of hydraulic tanks which hold this pressure at the ready this is called an accumulator. If the accumultor fails and loses pressure their is a back up emergency hydraulic system, if this system fails there is typically a back up nitrogen system and the final back up is the hydraulic pump which is used to supply the pressure to the accumulator. As I'm an onshore guy this might be a little different below sea level IE I don't know if the nitrogen failsafe would be on BOPs this deep. The problem with shear rams is that the tensile strength of modern tubulars sometime exceeds the strengths of the shear rams. In this video there is a pressure guage that shows zero pressure so there certainly a problem with the hydraulics.

[media]http://www.boptech.cn/en/UploadFiles/200952614599574.gif[/media]

Top Bottom