Dirt bike for noob

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dude.. i'm telling you.. I had a TTR 125(same thing as a DRZ 125) it was my first bike 4 years ago, i'm 5 feet tall (and a girl incase you couldn't tell) and I was bored of this bike in a week. Not worth your money, buy something you can gradually learn/grow into. Your asking all of us OUR opinions, and we are giving them to you based on our experiences. Not a single person has recommended either of these bikes for you, so if you want to go ahead and waste your money on one then by all means giver..but kinda pointless asking us for our advice if you didn't plan on taking it..

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you would have 100 x more fun on my bike then you would on the DRZ or TTR, so if you don't want to go over 150cc (I dont understand why - you've already outgrown my bike) then look into it. Don't get the CRF150F because its the same thing has a DRZ or TTR, I have the CRF150R.

Honestly though you should consider a 125 2 stroke or 250f. YOu can put a fly wheel weight on a 125 to take it down a couple notches and make it not so "snappy".

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friends drz fits me pretty good.

I really don't understand how this is possible, you said your 5'9"? Maybe you should measure again - because i'm 5 feet nothing and a DRZ/TTR 125 fits me perfectly, can touch the ground with two feet - if your 5'9", your knees would be almost hitting the handle bars on one of these bikes

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a Yamaha TTR 230 it's a little smaller than a 250 and has enough power to be fun. A good learner bike. Like the others have said a 125 four stroke would be low on power.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a Yamaha TTR 230 it's a little smaller than a 250 and has enough power to be fun. A good learner bike. Like the others have said a 125 four stroke would be low on power.

Friend of mine has one of those, she digs it. Scoots along pretty quick in the woods

heyhey

Reaction score
I dunno,I can get a ttr 125 for about $700 ad it just needs a back tire.So I got a nice bike for $800 and then in a year I could sell it for $1000 so I am probably going to do that.

heyhey

Reaction score
I really don't understand how this is possible, you said your 5'9"? Maybe you should measure again - because i'm 5 feet nothing and a DRZ/TTR 125 fits me perfectly, can touch the ground with two feet - if your 5'9", your knees would be almost hitting the handle bars on one of these bikes
I am at the least 5'8" and my friend who owns it is 5'9" and it is the L model not that that makes it much bigger.But I can put 2 feet on the ground with my legs almost completely straight.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i'm not even a dirt biker and i can agree that the ttr wouldnt be enough after a few trips for anyone serious about riding.......my brother has a ttr125, and i mean its ok to play on and for putzing for guys like me and him who jump on a dirt bike twice a year its fun for a quick spin but if you were using it as a day to day ride to have fun on and go regularly i think you will be bored of it very quickly. the people giving you advise in this thread wouldnt steer ya wrong man....

just my .02

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno,I can get a ttr 125 for about $700 ad it just needs a back tire.So I got a nice bike for $800 and then in a year I could sell it for $1000 so I am probably going to do that.

I doubt bikes go up in value

Sent from my white iPhone 4

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am at the least 5'8" and my friend who owns it is 5'9" and it is the L model not that that makes it much bigger.But I can put 2 feet on the ground with my legs almost completely straight.

No one can really sit on their bike with 2 feet flat on the ground. I sit around with on foot on the ground with the other foot resting in a foot peg.

But the point of a full size bike is having proper room for when your actually riding it, not standing on a trail yakin' to your buddies. Your knees will be too cramped when sitting on a ttr, and when your standing through fast parts, you'll be too slouched over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yammysnyotas

Reaction score
I agree with everyone on the TTR 230, this was my first full season of riding and its what i was told to start on. Enough power to get through mud and climbs, goes the same places the 250s go. Mines a 2010, its for sale, 3700$ if you're interested. I'm 5'9 and i can flat foot the ground with it. its not snappy like a 250,but it gets thejob done.
Great starter bike, its a little heavier than my CRF250X and it won't whoop out on you.
Definitely think about it. After one year, im ready to step it up, i couldn't imagine starting on anything smaller.
True story.
(Also, like lady dirt, I'm a female rider - great bike to learn on)

heyhey

Reaction score
I will take a look at a ttr 230 then if I can find one.
I doubt bikes go up in value

Sent from my white iPhone 4
well he is selling it for really cheap so the value wouldn't be going up I would just be making profit.But I'm not getting that bike now I will look at the ttr 230 like I said.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree a TTR 230 or CRF 230 would be the best route for you to go to learn on, if you choose you do not want a 2 stroke - but again if you become serious enough about riding you will probably ditch a 230 after a year as well, but its a place to start.

I had the TTR125L as well bud and I still can't see how you being 5'8 or 9 it fits you perfectly, cuz I'm not kidding you I am a midget (5 foot 1 max) and it fit me perfectly in fact I'm on an even taller bike now and it still fits me....

You will not be able to sell it for more than what you paid, TTRs and the like are a dime a dozen, BUT if you plan on doing lots of trail riding, a 230cc 4 stroke would be the route to go for a newbie... but if you want to hit up MX tracks as well as trails, and get serious into riding and want a bike you can grow into, and not sell in a year to upgrade, look into a 125 2 stoke.. they're light, cheap, and easy to maintain and throw a flywheel kit on it to help tame it down..

heyhey

Reaction score
I am going to look on kijiji right now to see if there's a ttr230.I also found a 2001 ktm sx 125 for $1,500 canadian.Do you think that might be good for me?

honda mike

Reaction score
I am going to look on kijiji right now to see if there's a ttr230.I also found a 2001 ktm sx 125 for $1,500 canadian.Do you think that might be good for me?
KTM is a race bike. A bit much for starting on IMO. ttr or crf 230 would be great for learning on. Lots around in the used market.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree... coming off a quad, a KTM 125 will probably scare you. My KTM scared the chit outta me that's for sure.. 125's are pretty crazy bikes, but my gf is a newbie to dirtbikes and she started on a 125cc and loves it... so it's all about personal preference, learning on a 2 stroke will definitely increase your skills quickly if it doesn't scare you off ..but like what most people have mentioned if you start on a 230 cc atleast it wont scare the crap out of you, you'll more than likely be able to handle it nicely and the maintenace will be easy and cheap and once you get used to riding the bike and want something different then you can upgrade knowing more of what you're looking for.

heyhey

Reaction score
I'm not worried about being scared on a 2 stroke.I would rather be scared to start.

Top Bottom