Dirt bike for noob

heyhey

Reaction score
Hey,I have started to consider getting a dirt bike instead of a quad and I was wondering what you would recommend for some one who's 15 and about 5'9"-10" and would be my first bike.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd get a 125 two stroke of some kind. If you plan on going newer then 2007 then you gotta get either a yamaha or a ktm. But before 2007 companies still made all of their 125's. ride it for a year or two then go from their.... get the 125 as a trainer to prep you for the more powerfull bikes. Or you can get a 250 fourstroke of some make. Deffiantly look into KTM,

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats your budget maybe look at a crf150 if your a new rider and depends on what your doing trails or track? a 125 is fine on the track or opoen areas (gravel pits and dunes) but for single track trails and a new rider buy a four storke. with how tall u are a xr200/crf230 would fit your size as well and can be found cheep(xr200 been around for years and a good starter bike)

yammysnyotas

Reaction score
I just got my first bike last august, 2010 Yamaha TTR 230, GREAT to learn on, no kick start, but handles great in the bush, has enough power to get up most climbs, but not enough to whoop out on you! I'm also about 5'10, and i can plant my feet on the ground, stances get a little bit higher on the bigger bikes. But like they said above, depends what kind of riding you want to do. The 230 is slightly heavier than the 250s, but is easier for maintanance than the two strokes for a first bike. I'm selling mine to step it up to a CRF 250X for next year, but yamahas are great bikes and parts are easy to find. Air filter cleaning, oilchanges, etc are super easy to do, everything in the 2010s seems really user friendly and parts are easy to get when needbe. And like i said, as a newb to the sport, its been a great bike.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were maybe 5,2 or so I'd have the perfect bike for ya. Steal of a deal I could make for you. Haha

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a CRF150 would be way too small. I'm 5'2" and I ride the 150R, for someone who is a good size around 5'10" your definitely going to want to stick to a 125-250CC in the 2 strokes, or a 230, 250 in the 4 stroke category..all depending on what kind of riding your doing to do and your budget will affect this decision as to what kind of bike. From experience, 2 strokes are tough for beginners on gnarly bushwhacking trails, but some people prefer them. For me, the 4 strokes are lifesavers in the bush, but to each their own. Hope you find a good ride :)

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went through this earlier this year, deciding between a 2 and 4 stroke. Wound up with a 250 2 stroke and couldn't be happier. I don't ride at the track as well, mostly singletrack and other bush fun.

Yes, you will do more oil changes and such, but it's a small trade off in my opinion. I've never been looking for more power, nor will I need to sell next spring to upgrade to something bigger. I can see the advantage of a linear torque curve while riding in the bush, but the costs and the weight of a four stroke would scare me away.

I added a lowering link and shaved foam out of the seat to help fit the bike to my short self. (5'9" with a 30" inseam)

All in all, tons of fun, and I'm personally glad I went 250 2 stroke.

yammysnyotas

Reaction score
I went through this earlier this year, deciding between a 2 and 4 stroke. Wound up with a 250 2 stroke and couldn't be happier. I don't ride at the track as well, mostly singletrack and other bush fun.

Yes, you will do more oil changes and such, but it's a small trade off in my opinion. I've never been looking for more power, nor will I need to sell next spring to upgrade to something bigger. I can see the advantage of a linear torque curve while riding in the bush, but the costs and the weight of a four stroke would scare me away.

I added a lowering link and shaved foam out of the seat to help fit the bike to my short self. (5'9" with a 30" inseam)

All in all, tons of fun, and I'm personally glad I went 250 2 stroke.

This is good insight! What brand did you go with? what year?
I have been looking at and leaning towards the CRF 250x, but have also been told to think about KTMs and two strokes....
thoughts?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wound up on an 03 KX 250. I wasn't in the market to purchase something too expensive, I got on mine for 3k and it was/is pretty stinkin mint.

Buddy of mine picked up one of the same for 2500 this fall as well.

Don't let me steer you away from a 250 4 stroke, it may suit what you are after. I wanted low wieght, gobs of power and was willing to turn some wrenches, so I opted for the 2 stroke. I really haven't seen the drawback on the trails, but at the same time, haven't really rode a 4 stroke on the trails much, so I can't compare. Maybe I'm really missing out, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha everyone is going to have good/bad experience with each. I had a bad 4 stroke, a bad 2 stroke, a good 4 stroke and a good 2 stroke, so I've had the best/worst of both worlds. Everyone is different. Luckily I've had the advantage of owning 4 different bikes to learn what works for me, and what doesn't. My KTM 2 stroke left me stranded numerous occasions and cost me way too much money to repair/maintain. I probably just didnt' ride it hard enough, keep in mind 2 strokes LOVE to be bagged, if you dont rev the living chit out of them, they can sometimes cause grief, they did for me anyway. Also..mixing gas can be a pain in the a$$. Didn't matter how perfectly it was jetted, or how accurately my oil/gas ratio was, my KTM fouled spark plugs almost every other ride, likely just because I did'nt hammer on it enough, which is difficult when your riding in some gnarly terrain, SO I tried the 150R MX bike and I have absolutely zero issues with this machine with my riding style. The TTR 4 stroke lacked power and snap for me, but my 150R has been absolutely perfect, I can handle the weight and the extra weight actually helps me ALOT riding in the bush, me being an extremely light person I find the heavier bike keeps me grounded and balanced, and has the consistent power, I dont have to rev the pi$$ out of it and feather a clutch to climb a steep, rocky hill. But I've had good and bad experiences on all of them but I eventually learned that for the kind of riding I do for the majority, the 4 stroke has outdone any of my 2 strokes by leaps and bounds. I do not, whatsoever miss a 2 stroke for any reason other then slightly cheaper and less maintenance. But the extra money/work into my Honda pays off for pleasure, ease and convenience on the trails!

heyhey

Reaction score
I can get a 2005 drz 125 L for $1,300 in really good condition.Should I?

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother unless you wanna go slow, have crap suspension and brakes. If you can try going 250f or 125 two stroke, I would do the 2 stroke because it will make you a better rider because it makes you learn where the gears and power are, it may seem a little overwhelming at the start but just remember you have all the control in your right hand. And 2 stoke snare cheaper to buy, re build, and service and they don't heat up on the trails like a 2 stroke! Good luck man pm me if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer!

heyhey

Reaction score
I don't think I will ever buy a 2 stroke anything.I am able to possibly get a 2003 ttr 125 for $950 and a 2005 drz 125 for $1,200.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are both very small trail bikes. They will be alright by all means, but you will likely out grow the lack of power very fast. Look for a used 250f if you want a 4 stroke, 2000-2004 yamaha yz250f's should be cheap. They have a manual decompressor, which means there's a more unique starting procedure.

Hot cams has an aftermarket exhaust cam with the stock grind with an automatic decompressor which makes starting a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heyhey

Reaction score
I don't want anything bigger than a 150 til I get better and know what I'm doing

Top Bottom