Dilema

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A question to all you S&Mers.....

How many of you will take a less seasoned rider out? Even one you did not know?

Heres why I am asking;

I have a group I normally ride with, most are from Fort Mac. The rest are from the Edmonton area. I work in Edmonton area but live on Van Isle, but my sled is here in Eville with me. The Ft Mac boys need time to take off work and rent room, and plan the trip. I like that no suprises when you get there lol. The group here is more of a spur of the moment, based on how busy they are on their days off. So all this leaves me sitting here not sledding on my days off, because the group I ride with, that knows my limitations, cant make it. I have thought of asking on here, but am shy, not the most experienced rider, and do not want to either hold people back or get taken into a spot I might regret. I know with more experience the better I get, the better I get the easier it would be to hook up with some of you guys and go have some fun. BUT.....If I dont get out to ride I dont get the experience and I dont get any better..... So thats my dilema..... Just curious as to some of your views on this...

Thanks and Cheers

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry man, your not the only one, I got the same problem...i work opposite to everyone I can ride with, and I'm also not that strong of a rider

creepincat

Reaction score
Ditto. I dont have too many buds (my age) that have sleds so I ride with my son and his friends. Talk about trying to keep up. Dont worry about your experience level, Im sure those other guys had to learn to and if they are decent guys they will understand and just maybe help ya out.

lagrek

Reaction score
i learnt how to ride in the mountains with experianced guys, who are half f'in crazy. But the guys are and were always respectfull that i was a beginner. i will post or PM you guys when we are going to the hills. we take kids and people of all levels, i dont believe you have to be "experianced" to have fun....take the watch and learn approach and be prepared, and for cryin out loud dont watch from the runout area....get the good gear too, it makes a differance in an emergency...will let you all know when our group is goin out, everybody is welcome.....thats my opinion

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a really interesting delima..... I know in our group, I am the "baby" and I have 16 years of experience, the guys are all very seasoned. I feel that attitude has a lot to do with going along with experienced peeps.... when you get stuck you have to be the first one to dig in and try to get your sled out on your own.... but if you constantly wait for someone else to do all the work they will not want to take you again. Also, when they tell you to do something one way and you listen, that also goes a long way.... like don't park up hill!! If you feel that they are going into a place that you can't make it just let them know and they will either do it for you or take you to a different route. We all had to start sometime, just let them know your limitations.

Good luck!!

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's no big deal! Every e was a rookie once! Just post a thread when you wanna go ride and someone here will invite you along. I'm always taking guys with much less experience then me. And for me personally I like knowing that I'm teaching somebody tricks and tips to enjoy there riding experience more. Its fun watching the rookies get them selves in precarious situations too! It can be alot of laughs!

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Ya, just get out every chance that you can. Everyone was a beginner at some point and you just need to get out and ride as much as you can. It's good to go out and ride with people that are better than you. You'll learn a lot from them and progress a lot faster.
Don't worry about holding people up. Just put a good effort in and everyone will appreciate and respect you for that. Also, when a group invites someone new out to ride, they are implying with that invite that they will look out for you and respect your ability level. Doesn't mean that they won't push your limits, but that is how you get better.
Have fun, and just make sure that you have at least the basic mountain safety gear!

sweetsecret73

Reaction score
Don't be shy!!! I have met some wonderful people on S&M the last couple months. Going to meet many of them this weekend in Valemount and many of the ladies I have talked to in Revy the weekend after! I haven't had anyone treat me differently because I am less experienced. I'm 100% with white. It is not so much the experience but the attitude! Have fun!!!:beer:

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have the gear this is my second season riding, just only get out 2 or 3 times a season, I bought the gear on my first trip, knowing I was gonna love it. Just getting tired of planning to go and at last minute not going. Kinda like a kid anticipating Christmas, then waking up and realizing Santa never came lol......I am at the crux of selling it all ir looking at asking others on here to let me ride with them....And your right about pushing my limits, and riding with more experienced peeps....

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you with personal friends who were all talk and no action. That was until I found S&M, now I dont even ask those people to ride no more and instead just ask people on here. I have gone out riding with 7 people from S&M so far and every time is fantastic because S&M members love the sport as much as you. So many members there is always someone wanting to go out and looking for a partner. Just post and go for some fun is all you have to do. Soon you will have tones of new friends and be out riding all the time. Nice thing is you also learn all the good spots from the differnt people you go with :)

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know what your saying bt, i almost had my sled sold last week, but havent heard anything back from the guy, which in away is fine with me, cause the times i have gone out i really enjoyed myself, even tho i havent been to the mountains yet..i just love riding

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well 2 weeks ago was supposed to go to Revy, or home to the wife on Van Isle never did either lol..... This upcoming weekend was supposed to go to Revy again and looking like thats not going to happen. I can go home if I choose, but my wife is flying out here on the first of much so no point. I may be looking at heading out this weekend, unsure yet but is on my radar. I have AST1 Classroom but yet to do the field portion, maybe I shoould plan a trip where the field portion is and do that on my own... S&Mers rock and hope to get to ride with you guys soon

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I just got into this addiction this year so far 95% of the peeps I've ridden with were my imaginary internet friends.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I will be riding Blue River next weekend........contact me if your looking for a group to ride with. we have everthing from 25 years on a sled to my son who is only 15. gotta ride with somebody.... if your interested.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im from the island so if you bring it home you can come with us anytime,plus theres a group of 10 of us islanders riding Sicamous for 6 days starting this saturday,more then welcome to join us and meet some local{islanders} if you wish.we are bringin a rookie with us so it should be fun.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im from the island so if you bring it home you can come with us anytime,plus theres a group of 10 of us islanders riding Sicamous for 6 days starting this saturday,more then welcome to join us and meet some local{islanders} if you wish.we are bringin a rookie with us so it should be fun.

Sicamous eh?????????? Never sledded there, whats the terrain like? It sounds like it may be good plus a chance to meet some fellow islanders too...... I am working nights in Edmonton now, but could still work something out this weekend. Let me try and figure something out and will shoot you a pm if I can make that trip.... What about hotels in the area?

Top Bottom