Diamond Drive Clutching

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have talked to at least 3 different guys who tell me to leave my clutching stock and dont mess with it.It an 05 Kingcat with diamond drive.Has anyone tweeked the clutching on one of these and if so please elaborate,What did you do and what did you gain?If clutching is so important(which it is) I would like some ideas on what I can do to impove it!
Thanks
catmando!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have talked to at least 3 different guys who tell me to leave my clutching stock and dont mess with it.It an 05 Kingcat with diamond drive.Has anyone tweeked the clutching on one of these and if so please elaborate,What did you do and what did you gain?If clutching is so important(which it is) I would like some ideas on what I can do to impove it!
Thanks
catmando!

See nest post......

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks
catmando!

Hey catmando....I could talk Cat sleds all day long and never bore of it. I tired to find he specs on your sled but cannot see any 2005 or even 2006 King Cats that run Diamond Drive??? Can you confirm that you indeed have the DD.

There is always room to improve clutching. Nice thing about your KC is that the 900 engine has so much grunt the power can overcome a lot of inefficiencies in clutching.

What's your stock setup right now? For 2005 there were a couple choices depending on elevation. Where do you ride most and what do you want out of the sled? EFI or carb?

One thing that I believe every 800 or 900 Cat MUST have is an engine torque arm. Makes a HUGE difference in cluthcing efficiency. Keeps the motor still and helps transfer more power through the clutch. Especially with your nitrous I say it's a must have. Best one I have found is from Bill at Sno Tek. Called the "Engine Torque Link for Arctic Cat 800 and 900 Twins". Easy to install. Make sure your clutches are in perfect alignment before installing (If you don't have one, I've got an aligment bar you can borrow). See link below.

Just finished doing the forward steering post conversion on the 800. Much better riding position. I think you would really like that too.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey catmando....I could talk Cat sleds all day long and never bore of it. I tired to find he specs on your sled but cannot see any 2005 or even 2006 King Cats that run Diamond Drive??? Can you confirm that you indeed have the DD.

There is always room to improve clutching. Nice thing about your KC is that the 900 engine has so much grunt the power can overcome a lot of inefficiencies in clutching.

What's your stock setup right now? For 2005 there were a couple choices depending on elevation. Where do you ride most and what do you want out of the sled? EFI or carb?

One thing that I believe every 800 or 900 Cat MUST have is an engine torque arm. Makes a HUGE difference in cluthcing efficiency. Keeps the motor still and helps transfer more power through the clutch. Especially with your nitrous I say it's a must have. Best one I have found is from Bill at Sno Tek. Called the "Engine Torque Link for Arctic Cat 800 and 900 Twins". Easy to install. Make sure your clutches are in perfect alignment before installing (If you don't have one, I've got an aligment bar you can borrow). See link below.

Just finished doing the forward steering post conversion on the 800. Much better riding position. I think you would really like that too.

Your right ,its not a diamond drive,my mistake,it is a efi and I will definatly check out the torque arm you mention.Would have to sit on a sled with the forward position post before I commit to that one as I like the way mine is now although there is always room for improvement.
Thanks for the feedback,will let you know how it goes.
catmando!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right ,its not a diamond drive,my mistake,it is a efi and I will definatly check out the torque arm you mention.Would have to sit on a sled with the forward position post before I commit to that one as I like the way mine is now although there is always room for improvement.
catmando!

Chaincase makes it easier to clutch. I have my 800 dialed in pretty well, but that's mostly for trail and drag racing. I am assuming your looking for mountain clutching tips? I can make a few suggestions that are improvements from stock, if you are indeed still stock? Let me know. I have fun doing this and have a few neat tricks I can let you in on. Maybe one day we can connect for a ride...you know, one of those groups of kitty's that ric is so afraid of.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you build your own,buy a kit, or have it done somewhere?

Are you referring to the steering post mod? I bought the post from a guy on Snowest. Goes my the name of Wildchild. Nice piece of work and at a good price. Was originally going to go with a CR Racing post but am now glad I didn't it. Put it in myself. It's a bit of work but moves you forward and up. So far it feels great.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the steering post mod? I bought the post from a guy on Snowest. Goes my the name of Wildchild. Nice piece of work and at a good price. Was originally going to go with a CR Racing post but am now glad I didn't it. Put it in myself. It's a bit of work but moves you forward and up. So far it feels great.
No,I was ref to D Drive, but like the steering post set up mod. There are lots of aftermarket clutch kits tailored to each engine mod (pipes, reeds,etc).I run one from Big Dog in an 05 kk with a pipe,reeds,and cut up airbox. It works very well.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No,I was ref to D Drive, but like the steering post set up mod. There are lots of aftermarket clutch kits tailored to each engine mod (pipes, reeds,etc).I run one from Big Dog in an 05 kk with a pipe,reeds,and cut up airbox. It works very well.

I have always clutched my own sleds. Clutching the diamond drive has been a challenge. In my opinion, it is very sensitive to changes in setup and changes in conditions. I don't think there will ever be a perfect "all around" setup for the DD sleds. Part of the issue trying to clutch the DD is that there has not been enough tuning parts available. It's getting better and some of the aftermarkets have come up with some good setups.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
catmando!

I can tell you that I prefer heavier setups as they seem to be more forgiving in a variety of conditions. If your sled is stock then I personally find the setup a bit light...yellow/green primary, 55/53 helix, red.white secondary. Weights?? Your springs are titanium if I am not mistaken? Might be hard to part with those as they are quite expensive. As a start I think the Cat 57/50 helix would be better. It has been proven over and over. Lots of old racers like it. Red/white secondary is a good spring, but I prefer a heavier spring which likely means a different primary spring and weights too. Do you know what weights you are running currently? 69g?

Oh no...now you got me started....look out!

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks ZRrr but i was wondering about his diamond drive but i guess he doesn't have one!Another question for Catmando about his boondocker setup.Would you share your N2O fuel map? I'm building an engine using a 900 bottom end and EFI and it should be good for 200hp, so I was wondering what his map was when N2O was on?

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ZRrrr would you mind if i asked you about my 07 m8 153 and what i am going to do to it. Clutching primary and secondary.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ZRrrr would you mind if i asked you about my 07 m8 153 and what i am going to do to it. Clutching primary and secondary.

I'll be straight with you...don't know much about the M8's, mostly the DD 600's and a bit on the DD 700's. Probably similar to the 700's in some regards, but you might be better off checking on the Snowest forum. Lots of proven setups over there. I think the 36 Degree helix is fine for the mountains. I would put a Torrington bearing in the secondary in place of the black plastic ring. D&D now has a sealed unit as opposed to the older open design. Think some guys are going heavier in the primary. Jsut my opinion, but don;t get suckered into one of those torsion spring conversion kits. Lots of ways to cltuch the DD for the same or better performance. I'm testing a setup of a different design over the next couple months. Still uses linear springs. I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom