Deck over vs mid deck

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Intuition tells me that a mid deck trailer is going to pull easier than a similar length deck over. Can anyone confirm this?

Any other pros/cons between the two?

Still in the process of finding the right used trailer and need help in narrowing the choices.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought the same but pulled two similar trailers and found they pulled the same. I have always bought the mid deck trailers and prefer them.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a mid deck now and wished I'd bought a full deckover instead. The wheel wells although lower still sometimes get in the way. The only advantage I can see is a lower loading height with the mid deck.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the other issue I know off is the ramp angle. If you don't have an extra height trailer with the deck over the ramp is steeper.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about pulling, but the advantages of the mid deck come to the front depending on what you are loading. ATV's and Sleds are no big deal with a steeper higher ramp, but loading motorcycles on a lower deck is always nicer. I have both bikes and 4 wheelers, and would LOVE a mid deck trailer.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 22+4' deck over royal that was loaded up. Sold it and bought a 24+4' mid deck aluminum mission loaded up, and never noticed a difference in pulling or fuel economy. Mid deck is nice for the ramp not being as steep. Makes it nice if you want to back a sled in, or haul a car.

77Crash77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 28' deckover. Buddy has a 26' mid deck. I would say his pulls a bit nicer as it catches a bit less wind. But I wouldn't trade, as I have seen a few times he couldn't get into an area because the tail of his would hit the ground while I could easily make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Between the same brands, you won't notice a difference between the two. Between different brands you will notice a difference because different manufacturer trailers pull different. I have had deck over and mid deck. I prefer the mid deck. Easier access through the man door and lower angle ramp. Dont have to worry about snow clearance cause if your axles are dragging you already have enough issues to deal with. lol. Love my Mission

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll take a mid deck any day over a deckover. I had a 24.5' V-nose deckover (until someone decided they needed it worse than I did and stole it) and didn't replace it. Spent lots of years riding in Wyoming and Montana and lots of miles back and forth with a buddy from down there that sells trailers. If he's using a trailer as a demo unit, guess which one? Mid-deck. The fuel mileage difference is negligible, but they are way more stable as the weight is lower and it makes a huge difference in side winds. That's my experience from both of them and running lots of miles in the wide open prairie. We never ran into clearance issues because we never had to unload up roads. It was always staging areas.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only advantage i seen over running a mid deck it a slight gain on fuel econ and slightly easier to pull as everything was below cab height. My deck over i know is their when its loaded up wish i would have kept the other trailer i could deal with teh wheel wells

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both. Both are V Nose. 29' Interstate mid deck and a '28' Trails West deck over. Can stand up in both, both are heated. I would take the deck over for hauling sleds, easy ramp angle, my 6 and 8 year old kids load their own machines in it so ZERO issues with ramp angle... My wife tows them both with any one of our 3500 trucks, and there is zero issues with heavy side winds, anything over 80km/h I can't say but up to that no real worries. The 1 tons pull them along with 4 turbo sleds, gear and fuel like they aren't there. So unless you are pulling them with a one ton with an eco boost or a 1/2 ton you should be A-OK. Fuel mileage I have no idea, but unless you are going across the country who cares if it costs you an extra

My Burandt trailer (not a Burandt fan but the trailer is great) which is the trails west is the ticket, loaded up and ready to roll out of the gate, zero issues with it, and it was built to haul sleds. I haul, RZR, Ranger, Quads and everything else with the interstate.

ask any questions you want to, I can send specs, more pictures or whatever else!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vote for mid deck.
Cross winds are more manageable.

2436c83cb3480e0d1b0eae2b8d0eb0e4.jpg

Dilbert8000

Reaction score
Mid deck is nice also for loading sxs if your into that, they get more height in the door than a deck over will. Some parking lots can get a bit dippy, where a deck over has more clearance. Really depends what your willing to accept for a con on either trailer. My experience with deck overs has been really good, they've always pulled good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the mid 29ft plus v and like it when pulling. If you have a 1 ton then it don't matter, but if half ton go mid. Good luck

Top Bottom