Costco fuel

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gotta watch filling up at the "non-branded" gas stations, because for the most part, costco, canadian tire, safeway etc all get their fuel from the big 3, and they get mostly just base grade fuel with minimal additives(including ethanol) if any........ Whereas for example a petro- can delivery they will add 23 additivew to the "regular" fuel, and more for mid and even more for the supreme. These additives include flashpoint inhibitors, cleaners, rust inhibitors, octane boosters, de-icer(in winter months), etc........... So for the most part you're getting what you pay for, by buying the "no name" fuels.Jus' sayin'.............................. :) enjoy your costco fuel :) ............ Lol

So I have to ask the question- when are these additives put in? When the tanker truck picks up the fuel at the bulk plant?

In Saskatoon our fuel comes from one of three places,1. The Suncor bulk plant on 11th st. 2. The Co-op refinery/bulk storage in Regina, or 3. Husky bulk storage in lloydminster.

I have personally seen the tanker truck leave the Suncor bulk storage and drive to the Costco. Does this mean the Costco in Saskatoon is getting Petro-can fuel?

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all this bull*&^% I've been reading on this forum the last couple of years like..."I put the first couple of gallons in the truck cause there could be bad gas in the hose"...I only use Shell V-power...I only use a high volume station...this has ethanol...this doesn't. It's all BULL*&^%! There should be a rule, If you don't know shyte...shut the ^#$* up. It would save a lot of confusion. I went to the Shell yesterday and filled my sled with $1.20/litre V-power after I put 10 litres in the truck and now I feel like an idiot. For all I know I poured in regular ethanol laced Mohawk fuel. I'm gonna take kidders advice and not argue with idiots cause "they'll beat you with experience" Whatever! You guys are fawked:realmad:

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some additives are put in during refining, after refining, and once at tankage once they blend it. All fuel is pretty much the same but the additives are different for pretty much all of them. When filling the different tanker trucks they get fuel from a bunch of different tanks.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some additives are put in during refining, after refining, and once at tankage once they blend it. All fuel is pretty much the same but the additives are different for pretty much all of them. When filling the different tanker trucks they get fuel from a bunch of different tanks.
So based on this theory, how does it work when I see Flying J tankers(Shell)leaving the Suncor(Petro-Can)bulk plant on 11th st in Saskatoon?

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys got me all worried with this thread. I thought putting in premium from anywhere would work fine. I stick to petro or shell but now I just wanna go buy a big barrel of high end fuel and keep it in my garage. So what would be a good choice out of VP's large selection that would work best for my etec? After reading their descriptions on specialty sleds website I'm thinking I'll go with the C110. Cause I only want the best for my new baby..

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all this bull*&^% I've been reading on this forum the last couple of years like..."I put the first couple of gallons in the truck cause there could be bad gas in the hose"...I only use Shell V-power...I only use a high volume station...this has ethanol...this doesn't. It's all BULL*&^%! There should be a rule, If you don't know shyte...shut the ^#$* up. It would save a lot of confusion. I went to the Shell yesterday and filled my sled with $1.20/litre V-power after I put 10 litres in the truck and now I feel like an idiot. For all I know I poured in regular ethanol laced Mohawk fuel. I'm gonna take kidders advice and not argue with idiots cause "they'll beat you with experience" Whatever! You guys are fawked:realmad:

ignorance is Bliss. Take a tour of a refinery sometime and you will see for yourself. The same goes for oil's. I toured the Esso refinery in Edmonton and watched the Bottling line. One minute Esso Extra the next minute Safeway oil. You've read several post now, and still think You are right and everyone else is wrong. Get your head out of your A$$ and do some research before you go calling everyone Fawked.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys got me all worried with this thread. I thought putting in premium from anywhere would work fine. I stick to petro or shell but now I just wanna go buy a big barrel of high end fuel and keep it in my garage. So what would be a good choice out of VP's large selection that would work best for my etec? After reading their descriptions on specialty sleds website I'm thinking I'll go with the C110. Cause I only want the best for my new baby..
Don't be worried. As long as you are buying a premium grade fuel at a reputable station. One that move a lot of fuel you shouldn't have any issues.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As pipes said. Just buy fuel and use it. If this thread had not popped up, would you even know that you don't know were your fuel is coming from? Buy fuel at a high flow station and go ride. When is the last time anyone had fuel issues on a stock sled? I had water in it or something like that!

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just joking around. But if I will notice power gains and possibly longer injector life or some others small benefits I might buy a drum anyways. And it saves me a trip to the gas station filling up a bunch of Jerry cans in the cold instead of doing it at home in the heated garage.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So based on this theory, how does it work when I see Flying J tankers(Shell)leaving the Suncor(Petro-Can)bulk plant on 11th st in Saskatoon?

You think its the same tank that fills both trucks? You think that say a Shell truck would fill up at the refinery and deliver it to the other side of another province and the price would be the same? You think when a refinery shuts down for a month for a shut down that it is still making fuel? Or you think they have enough in storage to last for however long the shut down needs to be?

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You should tell us how you REALLY feel.... LMFAO

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think that somehow, somewhere by law each station would be required to put in the pumps the fuel they are advertising is in the pumps. Maybe a different refinery produces the base and then blends to say Shell's specifications, ie. no ethanol in premium, with Nitrogen and winter additive. To think Shell 91 in the pump could be Petro 91 blended like Petro or another seems they would be breaking a few rules in the false advertising, consumer protection rule book. A no name station like Costco or Domo likely buys wholesale and is why they only advertise the grade, not the additive package. Hence why the sled gets Shell 91.

Now if we all want to start our own fuel coop and source the exact fuel we want and cheaper than at the pump, all we need is the numbers.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have read through this thread and a couple are what i have been lead to believe are correct. I am not going to go through all the Shell, Flying J., Bluewave,and now Parkand that has all of them including Race trax,Fas Gas,Petro Can bulk deliveries.
As some one stated there is only the big three in Alberta that produce gas or diesel fuel. All pull from one and other when short. Coop fuel in GP comes from Shell until there is a shortage and then they pull from there plant in Sask. if possilble.
Have a freind that ran the bulk plants in Peace River,Grande Prairie,Edson for Shell for years and trucked all the product and you would be amazed at all the trading that goes on.
On a side note Costco 91 is just as good as the Shell 91.
If you don't believe have it sent to lab and they will tell you for a small fee.
Premium has to meet what is required as alot of performance cars,boats,sleds and so on don't like to burn ethanol. However premium can contain ethanol but has to be posted at the pump that it could contain. Like Mohawk.
Just what i have been told from the person that worked in Shell bulk plant world for years and now Parkland.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pfi, Costco does post 'may contain up to 10% ethanol' on all their pumps.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learn t last year from esso even they don t have a clue
I use to buy high octane from esso for my sleds one day i questioned them about menthol in the fuel i had assumed that there was none due to my sled
I had them call the depot and found out that all the winter supplies have menthol in them

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just joking around. But if I will notice power gains and possibly longer injector life or some others small benefits I might buy a drum anyways. And it saves me a trip to the gas station filling up a bunch of Jerry cans in the cold instead of doing it at home in the heated garage.

you won't notice a power increase, likely a power decrease from using race gas in your sled. This is the most common misconception about higher "octane" fuels is that the fuel somehow produces more power - not true at all. Octane is simply a measurement of how resistant to detonation the fuel is. The design of the motor and how it burns the fuel is what makes your power - not the fuel. Higher octane fuels have less volatile components in them generally and this increases the detonation resistance rating (the Octane value), meaning that (in layman's terms) they are more like diesel fuel and less like gasoline. It takes a higher combustion pressure and temp to achieve the same vaporization so if you don't have higher compression and stonger ignition, you don't have the required energy to properly burn the fuel - meaning less power. The best thing you can do is run the lowest octane your sled will handle. The lower the octane, the more volatile components and the more complete burn your motor will achieve - meaning most power. As you go up in altitude, the atmospheric pressure decreases and so does your combustion pressure - meaning that your sled has even less pressure to compress your fuel. Most race/av gas motors are harder to start because the fuel has less vapourization and less volatile components as well, and this problem is only increased as you climb in elevation where the combustion pressures are lower.

Again - run the lowest octane rating your motor requires and you will make the most power. It sounds counter-intuitive but its the truth.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learn t last year from esso even they don t have a clue
I use to buy high octane from esso for my sleds one day i questioned them about menthol in the fuel i had assumed that there was none due to my sled
I had them call the depot and found out that all the winter supplies have menthol in them

Wondering if the menthol is added for people sniffing the gas or does it increase the octane rating?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if the menthol is added for people sniffing the gas or does it increase the octane rating?

Methanol (not menthol like in cigarettes) is added to remove moisture from the fuel during the winter. It doesn't really do that much to the fuel IMO, I don't know the % but they don't add that much of it. Its also called Methyl Hydrate at your local NAPA store.

Top Bottom