Costco fuel

NORDIC

Reaction score
anyone fuel up there sleds at costco yet in sherwood park? Anyone know were costco gets there fuel from, I am assuming from any of the big three?

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you buy fuel, you have no idea were is came from. Even if you fuel at a Shell or Esso station, you have no idea if the fuel was from the coresponding refinery. They have a deal in place to share product as required. If you don't beleive this, think of this. Were does the fuel come from when a refinery is down for 3-6 weeks for mantenance. The only place you can be sure of the fuel is from a can of VP or other!

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get fuel from Costco in GP for my sleds, truck, and car. Seems to be good fuel. Never had an issue with anything. I get it there as much as I can.

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you buy fuel, you have no idea were is came from. Even if you fuel at a Shell or Esso station, you have no idea if the fuel was from the coresponding refinery. They have a deal in place to share product as required. If you don't beleive this, think of this. Were does the fuel come from when a refinery is down for 3-6 weeks for mantenance. The only place you can be sure of the fuel is from a can of VP or other!

Are you suggesting that a shell station might sell Esso fuel? C'mon Man!

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that a shell station might sell Esso fuel? C'mon Man!

I work in the gas industry and yes they all have agreement to supply each other. If you drive by the refinery and look at all the trucks lined up they all have different carrier label on the trailers, but there all getting the same fuel.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used costco premium all of last year in my turbo and it worked flawless. I figure with thier price on 91 th probably move more than anyone else so you always have really fresh fuel.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also work at one of the Big Three refinery's. Yes, you bet. When the tanks are dry at the Shell terminal, you get fuel from one of the other Refinery`s It was hard for me to believe, but true. If you notice, most of the trucks are Westcan trucks. There are no more Shell trucks. They have gone away from `Branding. When the Esso and P Can refinery`s were down, two years ago (fuel shortage), you were getting Shell fuel at the Esso stations! You really can`t tell who`s fuel you are running... Cause you don`t know were it can from!

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work in the gas industry and yes they all have agreement to supply each other. If you drive by the refinery and look at all the trucks lined up they all have different carrier label on the trailers, but there all getting the same fuel.

Can't believe everything you read on the internet and I refuse to believe that. This is too far out there for me to grasp.:confused:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I also work at one of the Big Three refinery's. Yes, you bet. When the tanks are dry at the Shell terminal, you get fuel from one of the other Refinery`s It was hard for me to believe, but true. If you notice, most of the trucks are Westcan trucks. There are no more Shell trucks. They have gone away from `Branding. When the Esso and P Can refinery`s were down, two years ago (fuel shortage), you were getting Shell fuel at the Esso stations! You really can`t tell who`s fuel you are running... Cause you don`t know were it can from!

Actually Shell Canada teamed up with Flying J in 2006 to corner the Canadian market. Then in July of 2010 Pilot bought out Flying J but still operate as in Canada. The mighty dollar goes round and round :)

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if this true. When you go to shell and by premium that they say has no ethanol in it. Is there a chance you could be getting huskey which doe contain ethanol?

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You win the booby prize....well not really....They all may line up at the same tanks, but the additives are different, that's where some of the problem's can arise is some of the no-name brands don't use the all important additives like Tractol and nitrogen ....

I used to buy gas from Super store....but both vehicles a Ford and a GM the sending units got so gummed up they wont read properly.... was chatting with a GM service Rep and he suggested sticking with any of the name brand stations .....that was 5-6 years ago and haven't had to replace a sending unit since....

Yea all the refineries sell to each other, fuel is all the same except for the additives they put in.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So if this true. When you go to shell and by premium that they say has no ethanol in it. Is there a chance you could be getting huskey which doe contain ethanol?

Very unlikely. Left over residue from previous product would be so minimal, no concern. Alot of your "local" stations are gravity feed with underground tanks. Stations with above ground tanks the product is pumped off and then drained dry. Better chance of condensation (water) than anything. A good reason to use a high volume area like Costco. Cross contanination wether gas or diesel is a liability with the carrier. They're very carefull.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You gotta watch filling up at the "non-branded" gas stations, because for the most part, costco, canadian tire, safeway etc all get their fuel from the big 3, and they get mostly just base grade fuel with minimal additives(including ethanol) if any........ Whereas for example a petro- can delivery they will add 23 additivew to the "regular" fuel, and more for mid and even more for the supreme. These additives include flashpoint inhibitors, cleaners, rust inhibitors, octane boosters, de-icer(in winter months), etc........... So for the most part you're getting what you pay for, by buying the "no name" fuels.

Jus' sayin'.............................. :) enjoy your costco fuel :) ............ Lol

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gotta watch filling up at the "non-branded" gas stations, because for the most part, costco, canadian tire, safeway etc all get their fuel from the big 3, and they get mostly just base grade fuel with minimal additives(including ethanol) if any........ Whereas for example a petro- can delivery they will add 23 additivew to the "regular" fuel, and more for mid and even more for the supreme. These additives include flashpoint inhibitors, cleaners, rust inhibitors, octane boosters, de-icer(in winter months), etc........... So for the most part you're getting what you pay for, by buying the "no name" fuels.

Jus' sayin'.............................. :) enjoy your costco fuel :) ............ Lol

I would think Costco gasoline is like their other products. Equal or BETTER than the name brands and CHEAPER.
I have always been happy with Costco products. They should likely call it Kirkland fuel!! Wish they would put
in Diesel pumps.

Top Bottom