Costco fuel

PJ440x

Reaction score
I buy Costco fuel all the time and when I fuel up I ask the gas attendant who supplies there fuel if/when I see them because it may be a different attendant or a different Costco at the time and they all say it's Shell fuel... But what do they know?? I do like to believe that it is Shell fuel!!!!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you won't notice a power increase, likely a power decrease from using race gas in your sled. This is the most common misconception about higher "octane" fuels is that the fuel somehow produces more power - not true at all. Octane is simply a measurement of how resistant to detonation the fuel is. The design of the motor and how it burns the fuel is what makes your power - not the fuel. Higher octane fuels have less volatile components in them generally and this increases the detonation resistance rating (the Octane value), meaning that (in layman's terms) they are more like diesel fuel and less like gasoline. It takes a higher combustion pressure and temp to achieve the same vaporization so if you don't have higher compression and stonger ignition, you don't have the required energy to properly burn the fuel - meaning less power. The best thing you can do is run the lowest octane your sled will handle. The lower the octane, the more volatile components and the more complete burn your motor will achieve - meaning most power. As you go up in altitude, the atmospheric pressure decreases and so does your combustion pressure - meaning that your sled has even less pressure to compress your fuel. Most race/av gas motors are harder to start because the fuel has less vapourization and less volatile components as well, and this problem is only increased as you climb in elevation where the combustion pressures are lower.

Again - run the lowest octane rating your motor requires and you will make the most power. It sounds counter-intuitive but its the truth.

Do you know how many arguments I have had with people about that! They all think more octane more power. One time my sled ran out of gas and I only had strait race gas to put in it, and man did that thing run like a$$! It had no power like it did with only 20% race gas.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you know how many arguments I have had with people about that! They all think more octane more power. One time my sled ran out of gas and I only had strait race gas to put in it, and man did that thing run like a$$! It had no power like it did with only 20% race gas.

It's surprising how many people believe that increasing the octane in your fuel will increase the power in you engine.I even know a guy that thinks Purple Gas, AKA as dyed gas has more power because it is made for farmers to burn in their tractors. And yes farmers burn dyed gas. Not all tractors are diesel.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:ramsfan_small:
It's surprising how many people believe that increasing the octane in your fuel will increase the power in you engine.I even know a guy that thinks Purple Gas, AKA as dyed gas has more power because it is made for farmers to burn in their tractors. And yes farmers burn dyed gas. Not all tractors are diesel.
I thought all tractors have gas engines, Just like this truck is blown diesel smoke. Interesting thread here. :confused:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Irving refinery in NB (largest in Canada) had to admit their premium was below spec for two years and offered reimbursements. I wonder how often that happens here.

Top Bottom