Cool New Technology

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an incredible amount of new technology being developed every day. Some is fantastic and will be life changing while others are complete BS. Thought a thread showing some of this might be interesting and possibly funny.

The first link in this thread is about some people who seem to be on a way to take carbon dioxide and turn it into ethanol.

"A process like this would allow you to consume extra electricity when it's available to make and store as ethanol," said Dr Rondinone. "This could help to balance a grid supplied by intermittent renewable sources."

http://newatlas.com/co2-ethanol-nanoparticle-conversion-ornl/45920/

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a cool concept, but really doesn't have a practical use. It would be more efficient to use that electricity used by this conversion to power electric cars and leave fossil fuels out of the equation all together.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a cool concept, but really doesn't have a practical use. It would be more efficient to use that electricity used by this conversion to power electric cars and leave fossil fuels out of the equation all together.

I'd be willing to bet there will be tons of practical uses for this technology. Just the other day, we were talking about how unpractical solar and wind power is because we can't easily store excess energy - this seems like a pretty good way to me. ...or even just to use all that excess power to produce something that we would otherwise have to use valuable farmland to produce.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe not up front at first but over time. When you consider cost of a roof ,shingles, then replacing them later in life. If these last for 50 years in wont be that much more im thinking. Then your power bill will be less also.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ECAT is something I've been following for a few years. It is a low energy nuclear reaction that turns nickel and hydrogen into copper and plenty of excess energy. Initially, I figured it was just another cold fusion hoax, but years later, this is looking like the real deal. In fact, I believe the US government has already pre-ordered a number of the 1MW units.

Top Bottom