Convince me that Ski-Doo's new 10 1/4" screen is worth the $$

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a video explaining it currently. Like Tethair says, you need a radio transmitter to send/receiver position data which as far as i know this unit does not have

its also setup a bit silly that you have have the app on your phone and invite friends etc etc. It Should just pickup anyone in range and show them on your screen like the Polaris

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much a guarantee this guage will have multiple updates and feature additions. It has its own WIFI and is app based so it will be easy for them to do that's no question. The concern i have is that it does not have the Hardware capability to transmit location data like the Polaris without cellular. Therefore they wont be able to flick a switch and boom you have buddy tracking down the road....But maybe? they did just release a 180hp 2stroke turbo so they know what they are doing. I'm sure there is accessory ports on the wiring harness that you could plug in a transmitter down the road aswell? lots of ways it could shake our but i just hope it doesn't leave the first year guys stranded without that feature when they do release it.

Also, i received clarification yesterday that the gauge is NOT retrofittable. If you want that gauge package you must spring check the snowmobile with it as it is a different wiring harness.

knowing BRP, they are probably working on some buddy tracking system that will blow the polaris one out of the water. Not sure what that would be but they likely wont settle for just copying what polaris did.
Gauge is a flop for mountain guys just admit it lol its nothing more then a fancy speedoo, with how brp works nothing is free and if they do get buddy tracking It will cost u a unlock or something or it wont be compatible with the first year gauges. New sled improvements are awesome and sled will rip, but they missed the mark on the gauges.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gauge is a flop for mountain guys just admit it lol its nothing more then a fancy speedoo, with how brp works nothing is free and if they do get buddy tracking It will cost u a unlock or something or it wont be compatible with the first year gauges. New sled improvements are awesome and sled will rip, but they missed the mark on the gauges.

im not going to say flop as the guage has room for expanded features in the future but i will re-issue my statement about missing the mark on the first year for mountain guys yes LOL.

now lets just hope justin trudeu doesnt get ahold of it or we will have to scan our passports before starting our sleds

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But there is no 2 way radio built in so how will you know where your buddy is if either of you have no cell service?
Ya good point, I guess you would be able to use the gps through your phone even with no cell service but that's about it.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plain and simple thats a trail sled gauge. I was excited about when I was putting my deposit down until I heard how it actually worked. I could of done without the buddy tracking If the gauge had its own stand alone GPS.
I had the go app installed on my phone and it got deleted, no thanks. Just another apple play idea for a sled, but it had trails loaded In it.
What I want is terrain and closure zones loaded in it. The Polaris I rode with the old PIDD gauge I swear had closure zones, I rode up to a sign in Allen and on the other side of that make on the gauge was a different colour.

Having a phone turned on also goes against the avy training we have all taken, my phone is turned off even when it’s plugged in.

Now another concern I have, Rolling the sled over to get unstuck or flipping the sled over etc.
am I overthinking it, yah maybe. I will wait and see for my next sled, but I chose the standard gauge for now, and maybe hopefully I will not have a sled shipped without a gauge or delayed like the 2022 sleds.

That’s my take on it, it was a easy decision for me to make tho. I really like the new 4.5” gauge, it does everything I want, and is a step up from the calculator.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plain and simple thats a trail sled gauge. I was excited about when I was putting my deposit down until I heard how it actually worked. I could of done without the buddy tracking If the gauge had its own stand alone GPS.
I had the go app installed on my phone and it got deleted, no thanks. Just another apple play idea for a sled, but it had trails loaded In it.
What I want is terrain and closure zones loaded in it. The Polaris I rode with the old PIDD gauge I swear had closure zones, I rode up to a sign in Allen and on the other side of that make on the gauge was a different colour.

Having a phone turned on also goes against the avy training we have all taken, my phone is turned off even when it’s plugged in.

Now another concern I have, Rolling the sled over to get unstuck or flipping the sled over etc.
am I overthinking it, yah maybe. I will wait and see for my next sled, but I chose the standard gauge for now, and maybe hopefully I will not have a sled shipped without a gauge or delayed like the 2022 sleds.

That’s my take on it, it was a easy decision for me to make tho. I really like the new 4.5” gauge, it does everything I want, and is a step up from the calculator.
So not only can't not track other riders without cell coverage it also doesn't have its own GPS sensor to run the maps without being tethered to a cell phone?

Weak.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Won't be long until someone develops a raised frame for around the edges to give it a bit of protection.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will it do 3D mapping? Satellite imagery?
Can you import waypoints and paths?

Probably no to all but importing KML files is a critical deal for me. All the clubs boundaries and all of the governments closures are based on KML files. Its an industry standard and alot of softwares can open them. Something BRP will have to address in the future

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What range does the polaris tracking have or do you loose your buddies fast?

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol no Doubt they are the ones that have a star beside their icon. Have you gone out of range with your group Snofake?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220217-200001.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's covered lol.
The way they will be 99% of the time since they are flat.

ya i dont think any guage or position would ever solve that. But the selling point is here that its a quick wipe with your hand since its a flat smoother surface. Your not digging around in a recessed guage to remove snow

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder how long until someone hacks that screen to be able to watch the latest and greatest Sled Video's while out "rippin fresh pow"

Top Bottom