Converting from R134a to R12a

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my old 1999 ram has r134a in it. After being parked all winter its always a little low on refrigerant, not empty but not blowing cold. Are there any A/C experts out there that can give me some advice on this. We put dye in the system but can't find the leak. Once recharged it works great all summer and I was thinking of converting so I could just top up when needed instead of having to book it into an A/C shop every spring.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my old Dodge was leaking, same year, I bought 134A in the US and recharged as needed. Amazon also had it last I looked. I would bet the leak is the Evap, that's where my leak was. If memory serves it wasn't a fun job and all the plastic was made from glass....

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shrader valve can be suspect to

buddy's chevy was dooing the same thing (and the guy changed the valve) all is good now

soory bout thy spillen

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another common location of leaks is the compressor shaft seal. That's what usually kills most A\C repairs on an older vehicle as people aren't willing to replace a "working" compressor.

ziggity

Reaction score
Just did this on my wifes honda. We had a leaky hose, you can just remove the R134a and replace it with R12a. Youll need to vacuum the system prior to, I looked for R134 but it was harder to find and more exspensive, easy to just get the R12 at canadian tire or local store.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
take it somewhere and have it properly diagnosed for the leak.... electronic sniffers should be able to pick out where the leak is, &/or dye in the refigerant...
r12 is no longer legal to put into vehicles... jus sayin

Top Bottom