Consigning a vehicle to auction

theseeker

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience taking a vehicle to auction? I looked at osman auction and there you can put a reserve price on it but the commission is ten percent which is ridiculous.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience taking a vehicle to auction? I looked at osman auction and there you can put a reserve price on it but the commission is ten percent which is ridiculous.

Ritchie Bros base commission is 15% for over $2500.00 and 25% if your lot goes for less than $2500.00. You can negotiate with a rep, but unless you have something they really like, your not getting under 11%.

No reserve.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ritchie Bros base commission is 15% for over $2500.00 and 25% if your lot goes for less than $2500.00. You can negotiate with a rep, but unless you have something they really like, your not getting under 11%.

No reserve.

^^^^This is the truth^^^ They have to make a living as well.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Michener Allen is 15% I believe and don't think they allow reserves anymore. Osmans is low, because their buyers fee is high. You might be able to negotiate a tiny bit but doubtful. If its a 50k item they would come down a bit I bet, but like 10k or under doubt it. Auctions make a lot of money but it's either that or private sale. But lately with auction prices on a lot of things lately you could end up with almost the same and no hassle.

theseeker

Reaction score
Ya the hassle of selling it privately is what has me thinking about going the auction route but with the commission I might as well drop my price and hope for the best selling it privately. I got a trade in value from a dealer in leduc, I was thinking about maybe trading it in on a nice fishing boat but they have nothing Im looking for in my price range. Anyone know of any other boat dealers that would take a truck on trade the place I tried was Cars rv and marine in Leduc.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO....... If you want to get rid of it fast, low ball the car. So the first one who comes to your door has cash in hand, and you got no headaches :hi:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's a decent vehicle in decent shape, and is priced right it will move within a month easily, or something is wrong. If it has issues i'd consider trading it in.

I traded in one with a lot of issues, let the dealer drop thousands into it......

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
What you have to remember that it is an auction it can go high or low BUT it will be sold Rarely and I mean rarely it will go for retail price it has to be perfect and 2 people have to really want it 98% it will go for wholesale price and you will be disappointed but it will be sold. I trolled the auctions for years I enjoy a good auction haven't been to an full auto auction in almost a year now.
I have bought and sold a few through the auctions with no problems but do your homework and deal with a salesman on a higher commission to get a better lot number. The lot numbers are usually associated with a time and you want prime time cheapest vehicles are always the 1st ones and the last ones thats why there usually POS's.And it depends what you are bring to the table if it is something good he will get the most out of it if it is a wreck probably tell you to pound sand. Non fleet fully loaded low mile cummins and duramax's pull the biggest money Fords not so much and 2wd fords they hand them out at the door and reg cab longbox 2wd they pay you to take them especially white or suncor red. SUV are all over the map there can be a leathered up Jeep grand cherokee go for cheap cheap and the next one through the roof all depends what mommies are in the crowd. Cars the same way low mile import better off buying from a lot paying the same price and you can test drive and get it checked over. If looking for a bigger car if it make a good Iraqi taxi them buggers will fight over it

Sorry for the ramble...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O if it's a truck especially a diesel, throw a lift tires (even bald) with some nice rims and you'll make a fortune. Even if the truck is scratched and in bad shape lift and tires jumps the price stupidly. Been this way for years and happens 100% of the time. Auctions were great 5-7 years ago, when less people who didn't know anything went. Now if a truck looks nice people will pay full retail which is retarded. Unless it has 20k or under you better get it under value to cover any repairs. End of auction is a toss up a lot of times cheaper but sometimes more. Seems to depend if a lot of people got what they wanted or are scrambling to buy. Also, don't be the first of your specific vehicle most of the time they are cheap as a lot of people are hesitant on price. Most of the time that Is the best deal even if it's like 100 in.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't lift it to sell it.

It's getting hard to insure a lifted truck with out paying huge money

Cause its altered from stock

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

theseeker

Reaction score
The trucks in the for sale section if anyone is interested. Its an 2009 f150 regular cab short box. Mechanically its in good shape the only draw back it has is the paint has a bit of gravel rash and everyone knows paint sells.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't lift it to sell it.

It's getting hard to insure a lifted truck with out paying huge money

Cause its altered from stock

Never ever heard of that. You don't even have to tell them, only downside to that is they won't cover any aftermarket parts if something happens. Only thing I've heard of is height restrictions of 6" maximum.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My insurance company looked at mine

I have the torchen bars turned up and hockey pucks in the rear springs.
They said its lifted. I told them stock parts.

So if u block the back and put new higher keys in its considered lifted or altered from stock

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My insurance company looked at mine

I have the torchen bars turned up and hockey pucks in the rear springs.
They said its lifted. I told them stock parts.

So if u block the back and put new higher keys in its considered lifted or altered from stock

Surprised you haven't blown lots of front end parts with your torsion bars cranked up.

Top Bottom