computer question

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 yr old laptop and its getting slow and am thinking of formatting the hard drive and reloading the programs............or buy a new one any advice.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
format it and upgrade the drivers for the individual components. dont download any of the crap programs from the manufacturer just your hardware drivers

and you will be suprised how well it will work.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
format it and upgrade the drivers for the individual components. dont download any of the crap programs from the manufacturer just your hardware drivers

and you will be suprised how well it will work.

I agree with Maxwell, don't use your original Manufacturers disks to put everything back on, unless those are all that you have. If it is, soon as you get it back up and running, uninstall everything you don't use. This will free up some room for you as well. Any questions feel free to PM me.

W

woodies

can i guy uninstall a bunch of programs with out formatting? heard you could do more harm than good?

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uninstalling still leaves a lot of broken links on your compuuter, think of them as cobwebs that still take up both processing power and memory of the computer. One way is to use the defragment option on it, but even that still does not get all of it. I have even noticed programs I have uninstalled using there executable file, but then going in and with none of the folders hidden still find folders with with files linked to that program.

There is software out there that will clean up your computer of this kind of stuff, but you have to be careful using it as it can really screw things up if it takes the wrong stuff off your computer. Cheaper and easier to refromat, I do it once a year at least on my stuff, once you get the backups and reloading of the drivers, it is really easy.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Uninstalling still leaves a lot of broken links on your compuuter, think of them as cobwebs that still take up both processing power and memory of the computer. One way is to use the defragment option on it, but even that still does not get all of it. I have even noticed programs I have uninstalled using there executable file, but then going in and with none of the folders hidden still find folders with with files linked to that program.

There is software out there that will clean up your computer of this kind of stuff, but you have to be careful using it as it can really screw things up if it takes the wrong stuff off your computer. Cheaper and easier to refromat, I do it once a year at least on my stuff, once you get the backups and reloading of the drivers, it is really easy.

I agree with you Rob, its easier to format, once you get a nice clean installation you can always purchase a copy of "Norton Ghost" and make an image of your PC, once you have that, its really simple to revert your computer back to "factory" like settings!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a old, super old desktop. it had 256 ram, i put in a gig. faster than new now. works almost as good as my new laptop. Unless your hard drive is like 80-90% full your ram is filling up

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it really bothers me how the manufactureres load down there computers with junk when you buy them.

and mine being over a year old and not even good at the time runs smoother than the new ones.

from my expereience i would say buying a new computer from a palce like dell acer or whatever your getting 40% less speed and efficiency out of the box than if it was wiped.

thats just how much crap they put on there

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok soundsike a plan think im going to just buy a new office and new windows vista and install some more ram ramp it up to a gig, also looking at buying a new laptop for the business and going on what maxwell said does anyone build laptops... tylerg does i think correct me if im wrong.

Top Bottom