Clutch tools needed?

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id like to pull my clutch apart to make sure everything looks good for this season.

What tools do you recommend to aid in removal and what are some tips to getting to removing it?

this is on a 2001 summit 800.

thanks

Steve

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Id like to pull my clutch apart to make sure everything looks good for this season.

What tools do you recommend to aid in removal and what are some tips to getting to removing it?

this is on a 2001 summit 800.

thanks

Steve

THE CLUTCH "MEISTER" DYNAMO JOE E-MAILED ME A GREAT SITE AND INFO FOR REMOVING AND SERVICING CLUTCHES.... I'LL TRY AND FIND IT TONITE OR TOMORROW AND POST THE LINK.... IT USES NOTHING MORE THAN TOOLS HARDWARE LAYING AROUND MOST GARAGES.....

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a clutch puller to get you primary off. They run about $50. The service manual will tell you to not use an impact wrench on the puller but that is about the only way that it will work. Button forks would be handy for the reassembly but not necessary. Also the primary is made to run with no lubricant, so you just want to clean all of the caked on belt material off.

The secondary pulls off of the shaft by pulling one bolt. It is then held together with a snap ring. You need a means of compressing this spring while you pull the ring and then letting the pressure off in a controlled manner. They make tools for this as well. I built a simple one with a long bolt and then a plate that pushes down on the clutch but leaves access to the snap ring. Take special note as to which holes both ends of the spring are in as this determines the pressure on the clutch. I use a fish scale to check the setting after reassembly.

Hopefully this helps.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snort is right you will need a puller. Snow stuff makes primary pullers for about $30.00, and they work great. You can use an impact on the primary but I would be extremely careful. I have seen more than one bent crank because of it. Just food for thought.

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
Dynamo Joe has a procedure posted on doo-talk. I used it and it works. I pulled my clutchs apart quit easily and I have never done that before.:twocents:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are you guy's buying your clutch pullers? I went to the sno stuff website, found the part number but cant find any links to dealers, a phone number or even an email address. It looks like a 5 year old made their website. :mad:

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
Go to dootalk.com. Go to the features. Then click on tech reports and open all of the reports. Dynamo-Joe's procedure is the first one on the list.
Steve

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D
Where are you guy's buying your clutch pullers? I went to the sno stuff website, found the part number but cant find any links to dealers, a phone number or even an email address. It looks like a 5 year old made their website. :mad:

Most local sled dealers will bring in snow stuff tools, if you ask.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my puller from a doo dealer about 9 years ago,my clutches come apart a couple times a year on both sleds.The doo puller works on my 06 800,96 500liquid I have also used it on my old 670 and a 600 This puller has been used extensively and shows no signs of wear.Spend the money on quality tools.Doo also makes a primary holder that hooks from your primary to your secondary.With this tool and a good breaking bar,you DO NOT need an impact,it will come off with a bang and you might fall on your butt but you won't have to buy a crank.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For about 50 bucks,you can buy a race book from ski doo for your year.It will give you everything from torque specs to exploded views on everything from your headlight to your flap.If you like to do it yourself,like most sledheads do,it's the best money you can spend.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HERE'S THE CLUTCH LINK FROM DYNAMO JOE AND IT GIVES YOU EXAMPLES OF HOMEMADE TOOLS MADE QUITE EASILY FOR CLUTCH WORK..... HOPE THISONE HELPS: DOOTalk.com

OR THIS ONE:
THIS IS ALL THE CLUTCH TOOL AND WORK INFO YOU SHOULD NEED.;)

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installation illustrations:
Have a look at these pages...

Should pick up the Button Holding Forks from the dealer, they are about $12
BRP #529005500

Top Bottom