Clemina claims another.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences goes out to the grieving family and friends...as you are the real victims.

I am up in Blue this weekend and have talked to a few guys (even a couple that were at the bottom of this avalanche filming the tragedy) about this years tragedies...and to say the least...I never thought people could be so bitterly arrogant and for lack of a better word "STUPID". I guess you just take for granted that everyone is given a little common sense!

Yeah...the CAC report for the area was moderate in the alpine, but if you read farther down the page it suggests staying off slopes just like this one!!

We too have had an awesome season this year (one of the best ever). The avy conditions have been terrible, but it has forced our group to head to the trees and partake in more rider challenging terrain...in my opinion it is more fun boondocking in the trees than taking big pulls up open slopes. It also makes you a way better rider!

Last edited by a moderator:

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam just at a loss for words, of course this is a tragic event for those involved and we all want to be sensitive to these people and be politicaly correct but give your head a fricken shake.. this is a case of stupidty to the extream. this is no different than driving drunk or playing in traffic.
I cant belive that there is one mountain sledder out there that has not heard the warnings, read the reports on tv or places like this fourm. Climbing on that hill was akin to premeditated suicide. these guys would have rode rite past the hill climb slide that has been plastered on every news server,fourm and media site in the country, yet what do they do??? straight to the next biggest slope in the valley
I feel sorry for this kids family and friends left behind to carry on but this event was no accident.Iam starting to wonder that maybe the mountains should be closed to sledding as we as a group are proving time and time again that we are unable to make wise desicions as to our riding choices
Its always so unfortunate but i think it was Hemmingway who wrote"nothing can ruin a good day like people"

I"m with you on that one Scotts> My heart goes out to all the families that are left behind wondering why they did not do more to stop this young man from going to the mountains this weekend. I'm willing to bet my sled his mom or dad or someone told him not to go and he insured them he would ride safe as we all tell our families when we go.
I read his buddies dug him out(too late), but not one of them had the sense to tell him not to climb that slope....real good pals.
And again, like Scotts said, and I've said in other post about this subject....they(gov't) can and will ban sledding in the mountains if we don't govern ourselves. That's if it's not to late already after this dismal season.
I say after this weekend if someone is caught "highmarking" in the mountains...we just shoot them. At least the cause of death won't be avalanche related.:mad:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe people need to be trained and licenced before they are allowed to purchase trail passes, I dont want to see this happen but its almost a foregone conclusion that we will see some sort of control after this year.
The people i feel bad for are the Albert becks of the world, that were trained and doing the right thing when the mountain claimed him. The rest of these clowns, not so much.

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to the family, but just another prime example of hold my beer and watch this I got a new 800 lets see what it can do!! Wake up people! Have some common sense out there!

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a terrible thing to lose your life over stupid thing like high marking .I love the

mountains love to ride there but not this year .I seen writing on the walls
in Dec with the -40 c on top and 8 killed from Sparwood .I feel sorry for all the
families that lost their love ones R.I.P:nono:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cody was a good kid. I don't know why he was on that slope, as he should have known better. He was a smart guy with a bright future. Please be careful to not attack the persons character. You can question the groups judgement on that day all you want.

uaplumber

Reaction score
Maybe people need to be trained and licenced before they are allowed to purchase trail passes, I dont want to see this happen but its almost a foregone conclusion that we will see some sort of control after this year.
The people i feel bad for are the Albert becks of the world, that were trained and doing the right thing when the mountain claimed him. The rest of these clowns, not so much.

Many, many people don't bother with trail passes. Training is an individual thing, how many kids take drivers training? Are they safe drivers? Some sure, others? not so much. Force training all you want, in the end it is the riders choice.
Everybody makes their own choices, some good, some bad. We have all (I'm sure) had moments where we look back at what we just did and say "what the hell was I thinking?". It happens, hopefully the lesson is learned without tragedy, but sometimes old Murphy shows up with his damn laws and gets ya.

Maybe this latest could have been avoided, we can hash it out all day. Riders fault? Groups fault? Who knows, and really, does it matter? Another life has been lost doing something we all love. My heart goes to the family. We all make our own decisions, my girlfriend says that I cannot ever go back to the mountains. I will and I hope I make the right decisions during the entire visit.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Cody was a good kid. I don't know why he was on that slope, as he should have known better. He was a smart guy with a bright future. Please be careful to not attack the persons character. You can question the groups judgement on that day all you want.

Agree with you on the no personal attack thing...but there are a lot of people very frustrated with the lack of judgement, the careless attitudes and the complete disregard for themselves, their families and the sport in general. Please do not confuse this frustration with ‘attacking ones character’…pretty sure that is not the message anyone one is trying to convey during this rough time.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He was my best friend and I will miss the hell out of that man. He died doing what he loved to do. I wish so badly that I was there that day with him so I could talk him out of climbing that hill. I know that he knew better but the stoke of the day must have got the best of him. I said this a few weeks ago when 5 people were killed in 4 avalanches but lets just decide weather or not our comments are doing more good than bad. Climbing hills is dangerous and I know that many of you are dead against it, but people are giong to be doing it till the end of time. We all need to make our own decisions, and rather than personally attcking someone who has paid the ultimate price for their mistake just warn people you see climbing a sketchy face when you are on the mountain or something.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My condolences go out to his family, friends and all the people that were involved in this incident. I don't know what more we can say, I just spoke with him two weeks ago about the conditions. Dude, you will be missed by many.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Everybody makes their own choices, some good, some bad. We have all (I'm sure) had moments where we look back at what we just did and say "what the hell was I thinking?". It happens, hopefully the lesson is learned without tragedy, but sometimes old Murphy shows up with his damn laws and gets ya.

Maybe this latest could have been avoided, we can hash it out all day. Riders fault? Groups fault? Who knows, and really, does it matter? Another life has been lost doing something we all love. My heart goes to the family. We all make our own decisions, my girlfriend says that I cannot ever go back to the mountains. I will and I hope I make the right decisions during the entire visit.[/QUOTE]"

Well it wont be the riders choice for very long if these areas are closed for good.
Your comments are evidence of the whole problem."maybe the latest could have been avoided....Riders fault? groups fault? who knows?? THe answer is dam right it could have been avoided.. and without doubt there is fault here and utill people start facing facts and being responsible for their actions these things will continue. Yes it does matter, its a life and death matter actually.

Last edited:

doostylz

Reaction score
To all the family and friends sorry for your lose my heartfelt condolences go out to all of you.
To all the fellow sledders still heading out as I know I probably will ride yet this season lets be as safe as possible use our best judgement.

Live To Ride Another Day

rgutmann

Reaction score
My condolences go out to his family, friends and all the people that were involved in this incident. I don't know what more we can say, I just spoke with him two weeks ago about the conditions. Dude, you will be missed by many.
First my condolences to the family of this lost. I also must say that we can bash what has happened, but what has happened has happened. We have all make judgement calls that may not be right and luckly for most of us we have gotten away with it. Having personally knowing the persons involved in the recovery and first aid of Cody we need to remember his family and the others involved at this time. This will have a lasting effect with all involved.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
5 minutes

I knew Cody for about 5 minutes (figuratively speaking) and that’s all I needed, wow what a great 5 minutes it was. When I first met Cody and his riding partner, I had gotten myself into quiet a pickle. I had half of my Arctic cat submerged 3 feet deep in a creek, about 0.5km from the parking lot, not the way I had planned to start the day. He and his riding partner had stopped to give us a hand. He shut off his machine, sauntered over, calmly and coolly, without skipping a beat said “don’t you know that cats don’t like water”. I liked him instantly. We even have a great pic. of him, his riding partner smiling from ear to ear in front of the remainder of my sled sticking out of the creek. Out of respect for the friends and family, we have chosen not to post it with out the permission of the family and his sledding partner, as it is most likely, the latest picture of him. Than he took a couple of strangers who were not totally familiar with the area, under his wing and showed us around. The 5 minutes that I knew Cody, is worth more to me than the lifetime I have known and will know the friends I currently have.
May it snow every night, clear blue skies everyday, endless fresh powder, infinite horse power, bottomless fuel tanks, and even greater sledding buddies. You are one of the great ones, may you RIP.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to family and friends of another lost sledder.

Preventable...probably, will the unfortunate deaths stop.....no. Mountain sledding has inherrant dangers and bad choices increase the danger. They still allow climbers on Mount Everest KNOWING some will not return and there is no talk of closing the mountain and last time I checked they are still selling ice climbing gear. Do not overly bash someone else's choice whether right or wrong......backseat driving has and always will be a pussy sport!!! I'm sure this fine young man will be sadly missed by many...spreading of knowledge through training and speaking up to what YOU see on the hill is probably the best we will ever do.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Re: 5 minutes

I knew Cody for about 5 minutes (figuratively speaking) and that’s all I needed, wow what a great 5 minutes it was. When I first met Cody and his riding partner, I had gotten myself into quiet a pickle. I had half of my Arctic cat submerged 3 feet deep in a creek, about 0.5km from the parking lot, not the way I had planned to start the day. He and his riding partner had stopped to give us a hand. He shut off his machine, sauntered over, calmly and coolly, without skipping a beat said “don’t you know that cats don’t like water”. I liked him instantly. We even have a great pic. of him, his riding partner smiling from ear to ear in front of the remainder of my sled sticking out of the creek. Out of respect for the friends and family, we have chosen not to post it with out the permission of the family and his sledding partner, as it is most likely, the latest picture of him. Than he took a couple of strangers who were not totally familiar with the area, under his wing and showed us around. The 5 minutes that I knew Cody, is worth more to me than the lifetime I have known and will know the friends I currently have.
May it snow every night, clear blue skies everyday, endless fresh powder, infinite horse power, bottomless fuel tanks, and even greater sledding buddies. You are one of the great ones, may you RIP.

WOW! That gives me chills...

Top Bottom