Golden Avalanche Claims one life Feb 20 - Another Injured

NZjosh

Reaction score
RIP Fellow Sledder.

Anyone have a photo of the slope that slid so we know what to avoid in the future?

Go to golden and district search and rescue Facebook page some photos on there, I can't figure out the location but hopefully someone else can

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP Fellow Sledder.

Anyone have a photo of the slope that slid so we know what to avoid in the future?

Avalanche Canada has a full report up now with multiple photos. We had the opportunity to take our AST field day with one of the SAR members that was first to arrive on scene. He said it was absolutely massive.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
I don't know that slope, it's not in the main riding area from what I can tell. From the description, it sounds like its on the right side of the trail as you head in, opposite Dauntless mountain, which is the big mountain sort of half behind and to the left of the cabin.

Can't get the photos to upload, but that SAR guy wasn't kidding, that's a long long run out.

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know that slope, it's not in the main riding area from what I can tell. From the description, it sounds like its on the right side of the trail as you head in, opposite Dauntless mountain, which is the big mountain sort of half behind and to the left of the cabin.

Can't get the photos to upload, but that SAR guy wasn't kidding, that's a long long run out.

Yupp that is the correct location. We were told that there is an access trail off of the main trail before the cabin to get on the backside of Dauntless mountain and our instructor also said that you can access Gorman if you continue down that trail. I don't know the area I am just relaying the info he shared with us. But it definitely isn't the main area that gets ridden often but it is still part of Quartz. Yeah he showed us the picture of the run out before heading out for our training and all of our jaws dropped.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well after looking at the pictures, I'm thinking that the run out thru the trees must occur often, as that's mother natures way of logging. If you want to roll the dice running that without having any clue what's hanging up top then your looking for trouble. Just my opinion

Top Bottom