Chinese diesel heaters for enclosed sled trailer

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys at what low voltage will the heater shut down usually?
Usually between 10-10.5 volts is the lower voltage limit. Keep in mind that you might have a small voltage drop between the battery and the heater based on length and wire size so the battery might read 11V but the heater will only see 10.5 (for example) so for best accuracy, measure the voltage at the heater and not at the battery. Generally they need to see a voltage drop below the cut off for 20 seconds before they cut out.
HTB11PgGuXmWBuNjSspd762ugXXas.png

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes modman I was wanting to go Genny straight off the 12 volt terminal to the battery. Some of these smaller gensets ( look at least ) like a automotive alternator. So I would assume that there is a voltage regulator that prevents the battery from overcharging. Second question. If this it true does the genny have to be at full throttle because an automotive alternator can be "I think" just higher than idle and it will be charging. Seems to me that it would be more efficent and quieter to go the Genny 12 volt terminals to battery. School on my options thanks.
Plugging into the 12VDC on the genny should be fine, I'm sure its regulated. The formula for converting is watts / volts = amps. 500W / 12VDC = 40 amps. Idle it down and measure it to double check, but yes, there might be a minimum RPM but as long as its outputting 12VDC (and therefore assuming enough amperage), it should be able to keep up at a low idle since these little heaters don't use more than 3-4 amps at low. Just keep in mind they use about 8-9 amps during start up and shutdown when the glow plug is on so you might just have to rev it up a bit when you start it or shut it off.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman some one with a bit more electrical understanding is welcome.

oldbrownhat

Reaction score
New here from near-coastal BC. There are a few threads on these diesel heaters but thought I might start here.

I've just bought one of the 5kW all-in-one heaters off Amazon.ca for general use and while it runs well, I've run into a question that no one seems to b able to answer- not even Vevor service (I get a different person asking the same questions every time, but no answers.)

The manuals are garbage. The one that came with it, and the very comprehensive one Vevor subsequently sent me are very poorly printed and in largely incomprehensible "English". A different one that the vendor sent me today - much better printed and in better English - was easier to understand but didn't address the main problem, which is that my unit seems to have a control panel unlike any of the others.

The "regular"panel looks something like this and is probably what most people are familiar with. Also the one in the YouTube vids I've seen:

Panel image from Forkwin.jpg

but the one on mine is the one below, showing two menus that come up. The first seems to be a thermostat setting, adjustable from 10ºC- 40º (!) allowing the heater to maintain a certain room temperature, whereas the second is just a heat output adjustment from 1-6. Anyone seen one like this?

H and A menus.jpg

The problem is that I cannot find a way to switch between the menus. One time I was able to do so by rotating the + / - knob (which is just an encoder with unlimited travel in each direction) past the limits of the "A" setting, which brought up the "H" menu, but I tried this again this morning and it didn't work.

There are a lot of YouTube vids out there (including a couple of really superb ones by "Tom the Dilettante") but none I found so far shows a unit with this control panel. Very frustrating!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New here from near-coastal BC. There are a few threads on these diesel heaters but thought I might start here.

I've just bought one of the 5kW all-in-one heaters off Amazon.ca for general use and while it runs well, I've run into a question that no one seems to b able to answer- not even Vevor service (I get a different person asking the same questions every time, but no answers.)

The manuals are garbage. The one that came with it, and the very comprehensive one Vevor subsequently sent me are very poorly printed and in largely incomprehensible "English". A different one that the vendor sent me today - much better printed and in better English - was easier to understand but didn't address the main problem, which is that my unit seems to have a control panel unlike any of the others.

The "regular"panel looks something like this and is probably what most people are familiar with. Also the one in the YouTube vids I've seen:

View attachment 252218

but the one on mine is the one below, showing two menus that come up. The first seems to be a thermostat setting, adjustable from 10ºC- 40º (!) allowing the heater to maintain a certain room temperature, whereas the second is just a heat output adjustment from 1-6. Anyone seen one like this?

View attachment 252222
The problem is that I cannot find a way to switch between the menus. One time I was able to do so by rotating the + / - knob (which is just an encoder with unlimited travel in each direction) past the limits of the "A" setting, which brought up the "H" menu, but I tried this again this morning and it didn't work.

There are a lot of YouTube vids out there (including a couple of really superb ones by "Tom the Dilettante") but none I found so far shows a unit with this control panel. Very frustrating!
Need a picture of the unit itself as well as the connection where the controller plugs into the harness. But it looks like an off brand style, I've seen one of those with a screen just like yours but not in Chinese.

Some of the original styles came with rotary knob controllers (they pretty much all come with digital controllers now) and as long as it has the 3 pin triangle connector, you should be able to upgrade to a digital controller that is more user friendly. Amazon product ASIN B07QQSFF8D
These things all come from the same factory in china I'm sure and they're pretty much identical. I looked it up and this is the Wallymart one but has a similar screen to yours. There are other ones that are pretty much the same so I'm hoping you can just swap the controller. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/VEVOR-...torhomes-Engineering-Vehicles/PRD7HQOEKEXCALI

There is a facebook group about these heaters, maybe have a look there and see if anyone else has the same unit.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a picture of the unit itself as well as the connection where the controller plugs into the harness. But it looks like an off brand style, I've seen one of those with a screen just like yours but not in Chinese.

Some of the original styles came with rotary knob controllers (they pretty much all come with digital controllers now) and as long as it has the 3 pin triangle connector, you should be able to upgrade to a digital controller that is more user friendly. Amazon product ASIN B07QQSFF8D
These things all come from the same factory in china I'm sure and they're pretty much identical. I looked it up and this is the Wallymart one but has a similar screen to yours. There are other ones that are pretty much the same so I'm hoping you can just swap the controller. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/VEVOR-...torhomes-Engineering-Vehicles/PRD7HQOEKEXCALI

There is a facebook group about these heaters, maybe have a look there and see if anyone else has the same unit.
I've having issues with the link to the other controller in my post above (not sure why its coming up as a media link). Anyway here it is:

oldbrownhat

Reaction score
Thanks for rhe quick reply and information. Here are some pics. It does have the triangular Molex-style connector so a retrofit might be possible, but I'm going to keep harrassing Vevor as I'd prefer not to spend another $65 because the mfr. doesn't seem to be able to help! I don't do FB so can't go there, I'm afraid.

Oddly, the box indicated that it came from Germany (Ingolstadt, although obviously Chinese in origin) and the manual was in, er.... "Chinglish" and presumably equally mangled "Germlisch" :rolleyes:

Vevor label.jpg
Triangular connector.jpg
Overview.jpg

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using to go from the flex pipe to your first piece of ABS or whatever you’re using? I’m using abs, but the first fitting is getting pretty soft when ran for a long time.

oldbrownhat

Reaction score
The outlet on mine is 3", so depending on your application you could use 3" semi-flexible aluminum duct. I'm a bit surprised to see people using ABS or PVC as I'd think the hot air temp. would be right at or even above what those plastics are rated for. I'd use 3" air duct and drill/punch holes in it if you need to distribute the heat along the duct.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a few trips out with my set up and everything works as it should. this last trip out I turned on the rear heater on friday and never shut it off till monday when i got home. I turned on the front heater when I got to Vale and it also ran the hole time.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have had a few trips out with my set up and everything works as it should. this last trip out I turned on the rear heater on friday and never shut it off till monday when i got home. I turned on the front heater when I got to Vale and it also ran the hole time.
approximately how much fuel are you using with the 2 heaters running Chris?

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see most are using Gas Vent pipe to push the air to the back of the trailer. Any issues with it?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
the thing is the ones in chris trailer work so good they very rarely run at wide open. so its definitely not using half a liter an hour
That was my thought too. Running 2 unless it's the initial warm up of the trailer they should not have to run full bore and would work in tandem together, at lower speeds.

If trailers ever come down in price I'd like to replace the heavy dinosaur I've got with a newer 3 place.

hardcorex

Reaction score
I have the same controller as the one in the last picture, no instructions at all for that particular controller! Any body have anything for that style controller? Now is all guesswork, can start it and stop it and the knob adjusts the 6 fan settings but know nothing about it otherwise! Some input would sure help.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I picked up one of the vevor heaters all in one case. I had it running on bench in shop and it works good. Other than the fact that the green fuel line that comes off the fuel pump seems to be getting air in it. Watched some videos and they say some air bubbles will push through the heater.

I ran this one for 20 minutes and the fuel line is now half fuel half air. I put small zip ties on to secure hose on both ends but still air .

Anyone have any ideas? At that rate the unit will empty the fuel line within an hour.

Attachments

• 20220326_145107.mp4
    34.4 MB
Last edited:
Top Bottom