Chinese diesel heaters for enclosed sled trailer

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally figured out my issues and talk about starting at the wrong end of my problem. Cleaned it , reprogrammed it a Fawk my life , still have of issues although programing it reduced the amount of smoke it would only run for about 1/2 hour and die with a 08 code. Went through a list of possibilities and the vent cap was one of the possibilities, sure enough could blow on it from the inside out but there was no way in hell it was getting any air so I put a vent line in the cap and it ran yesterday for 5 hours? Shut er down yesterday, got up this morning and give another 6 hours … All hood! 👍🏻😁🍺
Good to know. I will check my cap. Program setting is a bit. But worth doing

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys know how long a brand new 12 volt rv battery will run heater?
Need more information to give you an idea. How many Amp Hours on the battery? Basically take amp hours/2 = useable amp hours... then useable amps/~4. will give you the amount of hours. These units take big current (10-11 amps) when starting and stopping (lighting the glow plug) but only about 3-4 amps when running.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys setting up fresh air? Or just letting it pull from the trailer?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am pulling from inside the trailer. Above my heater is a outside air vent.
So hopefully kind of fresh air. I also slide open the window about a inch. Window has a screen so bugs can’t get in.

Last edited:

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geepers Bubbles you basically lost me after the phrase (Basically take Amp hours) not to mention the swiggly line in front of the 4. I do appreciate you tryin to educate me though. My Grand Daughters are in school now so they can really get to Grandpa's level and help me out.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geepers Bubbles you basically lost me after the phrase (Basically take Amp hours) not to mention the swiggly line in front of the 4. I do appreciate you tryin to educate me though. My Grand Daughters are in school now so they can really get to Grandpa's level and help me out.
a basic 12V car battery will run it for about 8 -10 hours, depending on the battery size and condition.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the intake combustion air? I pull from the outside (fresh air). Pulling from inside means (in theory) you would have a negative pressure in the trailer (although these little heaters don't really draw that much air when they are idled all the way down and trailers are usually drafty enough). If its just for heating / melting sleds then fine, but we sleep in ours with 2 young kids so if there was ever an exhaust leak, and it was also sucking out the 02, then its a risk for carbon monoxide or low oxygen and getting sick or not waking up in the morning.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha that just means around 4. Amps hours/2... then divide by 4 again. = amount of hours without damaging a lead acid battery. Assuming in new condition.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
For the intake combustion air? I pull from the outside (fresh air). Pulling from inside means (in theory) you would have a negative pressure in the trailer (although these little heaters don't really draw that much air when they are idled all the way down and trailers are usually drafty enough). If its just for heating / melting sleds then fine, but we sleep in ours with 2 young kids so if there was ever an exhaust leak, and it was also sucking out the 02, then its a risk for carbon monoxide or low oxygen and getting sick or not waking up in the morning.
did you install a CO detector as well?

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about the detector but would be a must I would think. The units they wear in the oil field be the same thing?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about the detector but would be a must I would think. The units they wear in the oil field be the same thing?
I installed a residential fire/co detector on the wall in mine. Simple one that I can just replace the battery in.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you install a CO detector as well?
yes, have a couple of these around the house in addition to the hard wired ones: https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/products/fire-safety/co-alarms/kn-cob-dp2/

so I just got another one and leave it in the trailer - I just plug it into the inverter when needed. Just FYI - these plug in ones have an expiry and they start to chirp when they've expired so check it and replace it before it runs out becuz the chirping is dam annoying.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the suburban rv furnace in my sled trailer draws fresh air for combustion from out side and heat exchanger recycles interior air.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was just getting worse as I screwed around, it started just quitting while moving but I only hade a half or less tank of fuel. Once I filled the tank up with diesel it got way worse due too less air. And I think it just clogged up adding too my problems so now it was clogged up and not getting air. I bought another complete unit identical too this one too replace parts if needed. Havnt even opened the box yet but might just set this one up in my garage too save on gas in the garage. Will update after I use it a few times.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a residential fire/co detector on the wall in mine. Simple one that I can just replace the battery in.
Have you ever done something to force it to go off for a TEST? You must wear the monitors when you put out a fire or are they different than the ones in the oil field all together?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever done something to force it to go off for a TEST? You must wear the monitors when you put out a fire or are they different than the ones in the oil field all together?
Yes I tested it with smoke. In the trailer it goes off. We don’t wear monitors in fires, We use CO monitors, choline, and oxygen level monitors at alarm calls when home smoke/co detectors go off. They are MSA small monitors. Clip on our jackets

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, have a couple of these around the house in addition to the hard wired ones: https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/products/fire-safety/co-alarms/kn-cob-dp2/

so I just got another one and leave it in the trailer - I just plug it into the inverter when needed. Just FYI - these plug in ones have an expiry and they start to chirp when they've expired so check it and replace it before it runs out becuz the chirping is dam annoying.

We go to well over a hundred smoke/co detectors chirping in homes a year. Even ones not expired you replace the battery and they still chirp. Home owner buys a new one. Calls us the next day and all good. They are hard wired kiddie ones.
Kiddie web site has recalls on some of the models.

Top Bottom