changing oil type in injection system

charjay 88

Reaction score
Was wondering if you have to take all the oil out of oil tank when changing types? Have 2 polaris on ves gold, one on polaris blue synthetic. Wanting to change all to amsoil dominator. do I need to drain sytems completely or mixing a little ok?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive mixed oils lots,,, never had a problem because of it. I try to burn most of the old brand X oil in the reservoir, than I put in the new brand Y oil.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I said most not all,, and yeah I don't gas up my truck when I have 3/4 of a tank....lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There used to be issues with mixing oils back in the day, when you mixed TCW and 3 formulations. Not so much anymore as most will work with others, mixing minerals to minerals and syn's to syn's is better than mixing mineral to syn and across brands. Still a wise practice to drain or run out as much of the old oil as you can. If you are worried about compatibility, mix a few ounces of each in a container (off the sled) and leave it for a few days, just to be sure.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bout 5 years ago I took a 200ml glass bottle filled it half and half with Shell full synthetic and Shell mineral, never touched it. The other day I picked it up to have a look at it, could not see any separation or gelling of any sort, im not worried to mix.

Top Bottom