Chains!!!!!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i jackknifed on that same hill, pulling my 4place inclosed last year, you would never dream that it would get that step until you are into it, i came less than 30 feet from making it and she went back and went back quick

did some damage to the truck and trailer, they should have a sign at the bottom, by the end of the day, 3 others did the same, and now yes i have cable chains, they work good

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mav - go to Gregg's Distributors in town and pick up a set of either v-link singles with cam tighteners or a set of studded singles. The studded are like $50 more than the v-links but they very good for ice. My studded ones were under $200.

Biggest thing to remember about chains is, once your stuck or in a jam they will get you out but its better to have had them on in the first place. Don't use them on paved hiways unless its required and don't exceed 50km/h. Preferably 30km/h for back roads.

Gregg's has a sizing chart so you know what size to get depending on your tire size like a 7.5x16.

If you can, pick up the tensioners that hook to the center of the chains, last thing you need to do is throw a chain.

Also don't use them on the front wheels of most trucks, one pair on the rear wheels will do. Most light duty front ends won't stand up to the torque if you have chains on the front and bite into something really well.

What you should have done was take that set that was hanging on Krista's wall. :beer:

Thnx for the info!!! yah... she said after "dam i shouldn't brought mine!!!"

As said earlier trygg 7mm with cams. That and ditching those junk oem all seasons wouldn't hurt either.

Believe it or not but those tires are pretty good in winter conditions, there have been plenty of times i never had to go 4WD while pulling the trailer through the mountains and never had issues while going up snowmobile trails or through parking lots. This case was pretty excessive so sure they didn't get me to the top or save the truck but all in all i have been very impressed with them on a half ton.

So this is what i have found out thus far.

Gregg's Distrubuters
168.00 for cables, they didn't have anything in stock for chain link and didn't sound too concerned about looking neither

Titan supply
V-Bar chain link - $110 sold out for my tire sizes, they said they would cut down some others to fit but didn't want to do that... out of stock on spider bungees. These had 3 half moon clips for tighten

(Ordered here)
International Chain
V-Bar Chain link - $136.00 (a pair) they make them right at the store and they have 3-4 half moon clips for tightening, spider bungess in stock $15 (a pair), they will greyhound them to calgary for me, should be getting them next week. They were real nice to talk to and very informative, ill post once i get em to let everyone know how it goes but thus far a pleasure to do business with.

Chain - [media]http://www.kenjones.com/images/CHAINVBARX.JPG[/media]
Bungee -

Thanks for all your help !

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
couple of tricks I have learnt, but them on loose, they dont need to be on tight.....use rubber straps to take the slack out, that way you can but them on with weight on the tire. You can always jack up each wheel and rotate it to put it on easier.

Check out these guys, they have the good stuff....

Continental Chain and Rigging Ltd.
Really? lol

vic

Reaction score
I have run cable chains on my pickup and Kenworth for years. They are great - they are heavy duty -way better than that Crappy Tire stuff. They work great on ice - and they go on quick. ot them at Gregg Distributors

If your trailer has brakes - chaining up one axle will definately help with the braking ability.

X2 same set for my truck.Pulled 27' Triton trailer last weekend also up to Forster . SCC Super Z LT I have learned now to put them on before the climb after we spun out and had every thing start to slide back down the hill ,scary feeling.Stopped put put them on and had no problems going up after that.First weekend ever had to use them. Stay away from some of the cheaper cable chains. Thinking of getting set for the front.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run cable chains on my pickup and Kenworth for years. They are great - they are heavy duty -way better than that Crappy Tire stuff. They work great on ice - and they go on quick. ot them at Gregg Distributors

If your trailer has brakes - chaining up one axle will definately help with the braking ability.

I carry a set of the exact same ones. Come in a plastic box that fits underneath the rear seat in the crew cab.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So i had some fun last weekend crunch my truck all to ch!t and figured i better get some bloody chains and have no idea what to look for.

Chain link vs cable chains, which is better? where should i get them from (im going to automatically guess im not going to buy Canadian tire chains, i couldn't do it...)

Do cable chains have a higher speed rating? they seem like they would wear your tires less and ride better.

Any and all comments are welcome!!!

Heres the carnage of what happened... Not only did i jack-knife one way on the way up, but the other way on the way down!!! This is on Forster Landing Road in Radium.

This is what I bought due to they are easy to put on, so I figured I would be more likely to accually put them on. They are no logging every day use chain IMO, but for the 2-3 times a year they are the chit. I think you can run them 30mph is what they say, but probaly more like 30-40 kmh tops.
Diamond Back Tire Chains

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mav... These are my chains that we shoulda grabbed that day.

Attachments

• IMG00384-20110225-1015.jpg
    IMG00384-20110225-1015.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG00385-20110225-1015.jpg
    IMG00385-20110225-1015.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 138

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mav... These are my chains that we shoulda grabbed that day.

Got the same ones coming, i actually picked them up the other day but truck is in the shop now, the bag was like 120lbs!!! hahaha those woulda worked :p Once i get a chance ill take pics and put em on.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet as bud! Yay new chain day! :D Have fun this weekend if ya head out!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the same ones coming, i actually picked them up the other day but truck is in the shop now, the bag was like 120lbs!!! hahaha those woulda worked :p Once i get a chance ill take pics and put em on.

would prefer pics of rowdy with the chains on, just sayin. maybe in skivvies :d no plaid though. :d

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha I was going to take a pic of me holding them, but felt stupid. Sorry to disappoint boys! :D :p

you could pm some pics, just to keep the moral up, among other things. :d:d

friggin send beer!!!!!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where were you?! I was drinking beer! Gesh louise get on it! Off work in 20min! Load sleds and off to Vale! Braap! :D

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup. We were there last Thursday morning for a couple hrs.

Top Bottom