Chains!!!!!

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys thought you had it bad, atleast you didnt flip...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRtIuuWjrFQ[/media]

redryder700

Reaction score
Hi Maverick----
Sorry about the wreck, but hey you didn't get hurt and it could of been lots worse.

I have lived in snow country for over 40 years and have used lots of chains. Please believe me ---- FORGET CABLE CHAINS!!! using cables may be ok for a light car on paved roads but not for anything else. Besides, we always tell the guy stuck with cables that using cables is like Fk'ing with a rubber on, kinda like taking a shower with a raincoat --- why bother :-(

Check out TIRECHAINS.COM --- I have used them over the years with good success.

Some things to consider---Will you use them mostly off-road or mostly in winter on the road? When I hunt on muddy/rocky forest roads, I always use Heavy-Duty Link Chains --- less likely to get broken on a root or rock. In the winter especially pulling my sleds, I only use V-Bar Link Chains. The V-Bars have the absolute best bite -- especially on Ice or the hard pack your pictures showed. (yes some will say the v-bars ride more bumpy, but do you want a smooth ride or the best security?)

In looking at the trailer, I saw it was only a single axle so not sure if you have electric brakes on it ?????? If YES, I strongly recommend a set of chains for the trailer. Nothing better to keep a trailer straight and right behind you (especially downhill) than chains on the trailer and then either not using the truck brakes or using them very lightly --- but using the finger control on the electric trailer brake module to slow your whole rig (both truck and trailer) ---- I pull an enclosed 4 place trailer with a 4-door full sized diesel and trust me when I say that using chains on the trailer have saved my ass more than once coming off Monarch Pass on a bad night.

Good luck with what ever you do, but forget the cables!!!

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Another thing to mention here is make sure you are not ass end heavy on the trailer. Proper weight distribution for traction is a must. I use Trygg...nothin' else. I chain up enough as it is :beer:

Attachments

• Rat Lake pic 2.jpg
    Rat Lake pic 2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 160

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had some fun last weekend on the same hill (with minimal damage):

THAT IS THE SAME SPOT!!! wow... pretty much did the same move but the smaller trailer never went through the bank it just hit and smashed the truck, when the truck hit the trailer the trailer actually bounced back out of the snow bank, could see there the tires first hit and then where it layed to rest. Glad to hear it went a little better then mine... Hoping to replace the trailer with a V Nose trailer like yours, found a smaller 2 place v nose i want to get into, would of done a lot less damage.

You know what... those tire tracks above your truck might even be where we hit... wow...

Hi Maverick----
Sorry about the wreck, but hey you didn't get hurt and it could of been lots worse.

Very informative Red, thanks!!! i got V-bar chain link, just haven't tried them on yet since i don't have my truck back yet, can always put them on the rental i guess :p

Another thing to mention here is make sure you are not ass end heavy on the trailer. Proper weight distribution for traction is a must. I use Trygg...nothin' else. I chain up enough as it is :beer:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure buy real chains not cable junk. Also buy a set for the trailer also. Nothing worse than coming down an icy hill and having the trailer sliding around all over the place. I started driving truck in the patch at 18, company rules were...if you you even think you need chains chain all wheels, do not exceed 40kph, keep window cracked and radio off. You wouldnt believe the amount of dummies that will lose a set of chains and not even realize they fell off lol.

Top Bottom