Chains!!!!!

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So i had some fun last weekend crunch my truck all to ch!t and figured i better get some bloody chains and have no idea what to look for.

Chain link vs cable chains, which is better? where should i get them from (im going to automatically guess im not going to buy Canadian tire chains, i couldn't do it...)

Do cable chains have a higher speed rating? they seem like they would wear your tires less and ride better.

Any and all comments are welcome!!!

Heres the carnage of what happened... Not only did i jack-knife one way on the way up, but the other way on the way down!!! This is on Forster Landing Road in Radium.

Attachments

• IMG_9756.jpg
    IMG_9756.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_9759.jpg
    IMG_9759.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_9762.jpg
    IMG_9762.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_9763 web safe.jpg
    IMG_9763 web safe.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_9766.jpg
    IMG_9766.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_9768.jpg
    IMG_9768.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_9770.jpg
    IMG_9770.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_9771 web safe.jpg
    IMG_9771 web safe.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 608

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
son of a b!t(h, that would make me mad, boths sides too?
we have this old set of cables we got from crappy tire years ago. they seem to hold up well, but they get used maybe once every 2 years, and only for as long as absolutely necessary

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 things come to mind, 1st sometimes you just have to say no, dont go up the road.

2nd, chains offer far better traction than cables, a good set of chains is the way to go, but if you dont have enough weight in the towing vehicle, even chains arnt going to help the force of the trailer pushing you.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have always carried and used x-chains, work great with snow, ice and mud.

Never been a fan of the cables, not enough traction and to light weight construction.....

A couple of tricks I have learnt, but them on loose, they dont need to be on tight.....use rubber straps to take the slack out, that way you can but them on with weight on the tire. You can always jack up each wheel and rotate it to put it on easier.

Check out these guys, they have the good stuff....

Continental Chain and Rigging Ltd.

martincc

Reaction score
I drove that road on sunday as well but with a deck and two sleds.. after that drive I think I want chains as well

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We buy our chains from Continental Chain & Rigging as well, and they get used at work a fair bit. They are very well constructed and are easy to put on. They have 3 half moon tightener plates, so it gives you the ability to put the chain on a bit loose, and then snug them up by turning the 3 half moons. They also have the teeth on the chains to bite even better.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We buy our chains from Continental Chain & Rigging as well, and they get used at work a fair bit. They are very well constructed and are easy to put on. They have 3 half moon tightener plates, so it gives you the ability to put the chain on a bit loose, and then snug them up by turning the 3 half moons. They also have the teeth on the chains to bite even better.

Excellent double v-bar chains and the triple cams keep them super tight. 40kph or chewing hard they do not come loose:d

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought of cable chains as a joke for primary wheels, but excellent for drag chains. and it's never a bad idea to have a drag chain handy. when it's bad I want to be sticking to whatever surface i'm on. I carry a set of ice cleats and a set of square links with me, I use the square links when it's not too bad but want peace of mind, and the ice cleats when it's nasty, and then I always have the option of chaining up all four. :)

but still even with being able to take out the slack with bunjee's you still want the chains on there tight, since they will stretch when the tire is turning and can fly off, but it if doesn't fly off then possibly leave fender damage.

but i finally for broke down and finally got both sets in cam overs. $$$$$$ but worth it.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did that with my dodge ramcharger going up to the renshaw parking lot about 10 years ago did both sides pulling a 2 place got home and built a deck and will only pull a trailer with sleds on the deck

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run cable chains on my pickup and Kenworth for years. They are great - they are heavy duty -way better than that Crappy Tire stuff. They work great on ice - and they go on quick. ot them at Gregg Distributors

If your trailer has brakes - chaining up one axle will definately help with the braking ability.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I run chains everyday on a big truck,never put thdm on a pickup but its the same principle. Put them as tight as u can, drive a little ways,or even roll back and forth a bit and u can usually grab a couple links.also make sure there are no loose tails flopping around that could grab a brake line or hit a fender.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im with mike on this,I put em on a lot and a single chain on the trailer is a good idea in case you need to brake hard or the road has a nice slant in it,save ya from draggin the trailer down the ditch or pulling the whole unit in the ditch.I have tried using cable ones and I would throw them as far in the bush as I could,there selling feature is easy to put on and they are but if your looking for traction go with chains.
catmando!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mav - go to Gregg's Distributors in town and pick up a set of either v-link singles with cam tighteners or a set of studded singles. The studded are like $50 more than the v-links but they very good for ice. My studded ones were under $200.

Biggest thing to remember about chains is, once your stuck or in a jam they will get you out but its better to have had them on in the first place. Don't use them on paved hiways unless its required and don't exceed 50km/h. Preferably 30km/h for back roads.

Gregg's has a sizing chart so you know what size to get depending on your tire size like a 7.5x16.

If you can, pick up the tensioners that hook to the center of the chains, last thing you need to do is throw a chain.

Also don't use them on the front wheels of most trucks, one pair on the rear wheels will do. Most light duty front ends won't stand up to the torque if you have chains on the front and bite into something really well.

What you should have done was take that set that was hanging on Krista's wall. :beer:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said earlier trygg 7mm with cams. That and ditching those junk oem all seasons wouldn't hurt either.

Top Bottom