chain case oil?

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Bow cycle has no chain case oil !!! Is there any thing i can buy at Cdn tire that will do the job?

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually just run truck diff oil... 75W90 syn I think? Never had an issue....

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peavey Mart sels Amsoil "boat chain oil" that's what I use.

Smells like gear oil...hmm...

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently use tractor hydraulic fluid. I feel gear oil is too thick to penetrate the pins on the chain properly. ATF and 5W30 motor oil works too.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I needed to buy the OVER PRICED manufacturers oil. I change mine religiously every year regardless of how many miles I put on it.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also use Amsoil boat gear case oil....it has EP additive and will absorb up to 10% of its volume of water and still be effective.....and I change it out every spring before parking the sled for the summer.

True marine gear performance. Provides superior protection from shock loading. Resists foam and retains extreme-pressure qualities even when subjected to 10% water contamination. For use in outboard lower units, sterndrives, V-drives, bow and tunnel thrusters and marine transmissions Excellent for use in ATVs
AGM.jpg

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
amsoil chain oil will work, most other chain oils will work alsoand trani fluids too. the brp oil is not that expensive for the amount you will need, about the same price as the amsoil oil.

change it often, it is cheap compared to a chain coming apart.

Last edited:

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also use Amsoil boat gear case oil....it has EP additive and will absorb up to 10% of its volume of water and still be effective.....and I change it out every spring before parking the sled for the summer.

That's the schtuff!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently use tractor hydraulic fluid. I feel gear oil is too thick to penetrate the pins on the chain properly. ATF and 5W30 motor oil works too.

You're right, gear oil is too heavy. ATF works just fine as you have mentioned.

My bigger question is, how does a dealership service its customers if it doesn't have the stuff in stock? Any pre-season services probably require the oil to be changed I'm guessing....

Summit1974 - Call Snowmobile Recyclers in Dewinton, pretty sure I saw some case oil on the shelf last time I was there, or the Cochrane doo dealer, depending on what side of the city you're in. They might have some.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right, gear oil is too heavy. ATF works just fine as you have mentioned.

My bigger question is, how does a dealership service its customers if it doesn't have the stuff in stock? Any pre-season services probably require the oil to be changed I'm guessing....

Summit1974 - Call Snowmobile Recyclers in Dewinton, pretty sure I saw some case oil on the shelf last time I was there, or the Cochrane doo dealer, depending on what side of the city you're in. They might have some.
Buddy went to the North store looking for snowmobile boots and they had one pair in the whole store but were the wrong size so they sent him to the south store. Not much better there so he bought some at Cycle Works in Okotoks. Who doesn't carry chain oil and snowmobile boots in a sled dealership?:confused:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy went to the North store looking for snowmobile boots and they had one pair in the whole store but were the wrong size so they sent him to the south store. Not much better there so he bought some at Cycle Works in Okotoks. Who doesn't carry chain oil and snowmobile boots in a sled dealership?:confused:
Blowcycle....lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do dont use straight ATF. Ive never seen that many filings in my chaincase.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATF is a bad idea, it has friction modifiers that increase friction to help the clutch packs in a transmission prevent slippage.

Otherwise almost any oil of similar viscosity will work, its a chain not an engine, high end synthetics aren't required, as long as it is changed regularly and no moisture gets in you're covered.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use the wally world special atf (full-synthetic). gear oil is too thick and wont lubricate the gears well when its cold outside. go out side with a bottle of 75/90 when its minus 30 and see how long it takes the oil to be dumped out of the bottle then do that with 30 weight oil/aft/tractor hydralic fluid there are many options you can use and many are just fine but the higher weight gear oils should be avoided. most people get lucky but when your gambling on a chain case, that can be at least $500 to replace. thin and more "fluid" like is better then molasses

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol
This is funny as every Diff out there has gear oil in it and run at all temps.
This is a simple chain and two gears .
Syn. Gear lube after a few spins starts to warm up.
Run any good Syn gear oil. Thousands of sleds out there for many years running it.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol
This is funny as every Diff out there has gear oil in it and run at all temps.
This is a simple chain and two gears .
Syn. Gear lube after a few spins starts to warm up.
Run any good Syn gear oil. Thousands of sleds out there for many years running it.

X2... Also don't run transmission fluid, I've done it and as deaner mentioned I could not believe how filthy the chain case was after only one weekend.

Or you can drive around the city looking for overpriced chain case oil...

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATF is a bad idea, it has friction modifiers that increase friction to help the clutch packs in a transmission prevent slippage.

Otherwise almost any oil of similar viscosity will work, its a chain not an engine, high end synthetics aren't required, as long as it is changed regularly and no moisture gets in you're covered.

Nothing wrong with ATF. It's all I've used for 20 years. My old King Cat has 5000 miles on the original chain. Most transfer cases use ATF and they have similar chain & gears.

I used it in the DD of my M8 too for 2000 miles.

SNAFU

Reaction score
I agree. I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my Summit for 3 years and never saw any sign of chain wear or filings in the chain case. I am pretty sure that Dodge specifies ATF for the transfer case in my truck. I have recently been to using Shell synthetic chain case oil in my Nytro. You can get it at Canadian. Tire.

Nothing wrong with ATF. It's all I've used for 20 years. My old King Cat has 5000 miles on the original chain. Most transfer cases use ATF and they have similar chain & gears.

I used it in the DD of my M8 too for 2000 miles.

Top Bottom